My PS3 doesn't read disks properly anymore!?

This is a discussion on My PS3 doesn't read disks properly anymore!? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've got a PS3 slim for about 4 years I'd recon and it's been a part of the family, day ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

My PS3 doesn't read disks properly anymore!?

I've got a PS3 slim for about 4 years I'd recon and it's been a part of the family,
    day after day it read movie after game after cd, and now it has stopped 2 of 3.
    a few weeks ago it started skipping blu-rays about half into the film ranging from 2 seconds to 40 minutes depending on the size of the blu-ray.
    later it stopped playing large games (uncharted, katamari, etc)
    now I've tried a lot of things, cleaningdisks (which don't help for shit), using the vacuum cleaner to suck out dust (seemed like a good idea, did nothing) and blowing in the diskdrive (which caused the PS3 to not read ANYTHING for a long while).

I'm not only posting this for help, but also as a resource for other people who may have the same problem.
    your help is highly appreciated and will of course be rewarded!

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Sounds like your blu ray drive is crapping out, might want to bring that in to a professional unless you think you can fix it yourself

Saints Row IV

Quote Originally Posted by twistsanny View Post
    I've got a PS3 slim for about 4 years I'd recon and it's been a part of the family,
    day after day it read movie after game after cd, and now it has stopped 2 of 3.
    a few weeks ago it started skipping blu-rays about half into the film ranging from 2 seconds to 40 minutes depending on the size of the blu-ray.
    later it stopped playing large games (uncharted, katamari, etc)
    now I've tried a lot of things, cleaningdisks (which don't help for shit), using the vacuum cleaner to suck out dust (seemed like a good idea, did nothing) and blowing in the diskdrive (which caused the PS3 to not read ANYTHING for a long while).

I'm not only posting this for help, but also as a resource for other people who may have the same problem.
    your help is highly appreciated and will of course be rewarded!
    Your blu-ray drive starts to die
    You have 3 solutions, get it on a professional (Still,the fix the professional will do might be very expensive and the blu-ray might break again),fixing it by yourself isn't recommended because you my break your whole PS3
    So the only good solution is buying a new PS3.But before doing that,check this FAQ on PlayStation formus about BluRay!
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Lvl 6 - Silver

I don't know how it is for the slim but with the phat, when your lens reader goes the YLOD isnt far off...

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Thanks for your responses,
    I think itīs time to get one of those hip new ultra slims and put this one on the shelf
    Iīll try to fix it in the mean time by using some of the solutions brAvEhEaRtDC offered in the FAQ.
    YLOD could be on its way, PS3 has been on for every day the last 4 years for around 8 hours so thats kind of the end I guess.

Rangers F.C

I had been having problems with a couple things too, first off I got Fallout 3 GOTY, the game had some wear and tear but it worked . I clocked up about a 12h save, then one day the disk would go in, make a sound like it was coming back out then stop and not read the disk . Its been cleaned and tried repeatedly but its not going to happen .
    Next up was Prometheus 3D Blu-ray, have watched this film many times already, one day same shit as above . I have cleaned the disk even though it never needed it and it would go on, but it would be choppy and sound would fail .

You may think scratched disks but I am very careful with my shit no fingerprints and no leaving disks out of case, anyway I read online about fixes and found a couple that seemed to help me .

1- System settings > restore default setting - I have no idea how this worked but it did, no problems with either disks now .

2- Also heard its good to do option 3 and 4 on video every once and a while .

Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 7 - Gold

That happened to my first one after around 1.5 years into its life. I just sold it on ebay, and got enough to cover half of a new system bundle on Black Friday (got $100 for it). People often buy broken systems for parts or even to fix up because it's cheaper than the new system.

I'd suggest doing the same thing if you can find a deal on a new system. PS3s are not built to last, so you're better off getting a brand new one than getting yours fixed only to have it crap out again down the road. Plus the new system will come with a controller, a game or two, 30 days of PS+, and a full year's warranty (plus you can tack on an additional year or two).

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Negator

Here's a few pointers.

You will never need a Bluray lens cleaner.
    Never blow air into the unit.
    Fixing the drive yourself is extremely inexpensive.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay