Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EA Kills Online Passes RetroACTIVELY (grumble...)

This is a discussion on EA Kills Online Passes RetroACTIVELY (grumble...) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; We've all heard that EA is doing away with Online Passes for the next generation of consoles. What we didn't ...

illegal in 9 countries

EA Kills Online Passes RetroACTIVELY (grumble...)

We've all heard that EA is doing away with Online Passes for the next generation of consoles. What we didn't know is they're also doing it retrospectively for existing EA titles -

Publisher confirms it is retroactively eliminating online passes for all EA titles beginning with EA Sports games.

In response to consumer feedback, Electronic Arts has announced it is doing away with its controversial Online Pass scheme altogether. Previously, the company said only that future titles would not include Online Passes. Now, the move will be applied retroactively, beginning with EA Sports titles.

"As we discontinue Online Pass for our new EA titles, we are also in the process of eliminating it from all our existing EA titles as well," EA corporate communications representative John Reseburg told Game Informer. "We heard the feedback from players and decided to do away with Online Pass altogether."

"Players will see it first with some EA Sports titles, where a prompt to enter an Online Pass code will no longer appear in-game; with other titles we are simply making Online Passes available free of charge online," he continued. "These are rolling updates that are taking effect over the next several weeks. We hope players continue to enjoy our games and online services for a long time to come."

Online Passes have often been viewed as ways for developers and publishers to offset the financial shortfall of not seeing revenue when games are traded in and resold through retailers.

Source - EA killing Online Passes for existing games - GameSpot.com

Let the "Ah fuck, I want a refund for my online pass!!!1!" pissing and moaning commence...
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 05-30-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Well, can't say this is a very smart move from their part, not to mention I've got high doubts anyone would go rent a 2011-13 EA sports game with the 2014 versions coming out in the next 5~ months.

Good thing I never paid for any, though, for I might've been pissed and might've moaned.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Huh. I wonder who managed to get them all to pull their heads out of their arses...

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Well, can't say this is a very smart move from their part, not to mention I've got high doubts anyone would go rent a 2011-13 EA sports game with the 2014 versions coming out in the next 5~ months.

Good thing I never paid for any, though, for I might've been pissed and might've moaned.
    That sounds suspiciously like a piss and / or moan Nag.

How is giving away something ($10-$15) for nothing a bad thing? Before even considering a second-hand purchase I always check if a game has an online pass. For EA games, that's no longer a problem.

Sure, they may be buttering us up for the second-hand DRM next-gen onslaught, but it's no longer their problem. Online Passes were a PR nightmare for EA and engendering goodwill among gamers to counterbalance all of the negative press can only benefit them moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    Huh. I wonder who managed to get them all to pull their heads out of their arses...
    It was me. Just me. ALL me.

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    It was me. Just me. ALL me.
    Yes, I'm sure it was.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Cynic in me says cheap trick to flog older games before next gen and to brace for the likely rage wave when they announce preowned PS4 games will require an activation fee.

Happy, i love gaming side of me says they are trying to do something to shed this 'Evil Empire ' nonsense.

The truth being it's somewhere inbetween.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Cynic in me says cheap trick to flog older games before next gen and to brace for the likely rage wave when they announce preowned PS4 games will require an activation fee.
    But that cheap trick doesn't earn them any money from the second-hand market. And the affected retail titles are in the bargain bin now, so it's not like EA has anything significant to gain but goodwill.

Anyone looking to buy second-hand on PS4 and Xbone is going to get reemed, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth and take advantage of it while we can.

Stay golden, Ponyboy

Well since I never bought an online pass, I'm not complaining. This actually let's me play some of those EA games online family members bought without having to buy a pass

Edit: Nevermind, read the article
    Avatar by TheGeneral09 | Platcard by RavenScythe
    My Trophy Checklist

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by C_34_M View Post
    Well since I never bought an online pass, I'm not complaining. This actually let's me play some of those EA games online family members bought without having to buy a pass

Edit: Nevermind, read the article
    Why nevermind? That's exactly what you'll be able to do.

Give it a few weeks and all current EA titles will have their online passes either removed or provided free of charge.

Death to zombies!!

You dont need online passes for old EA title as most of them have no servers anyway

Sig by djunglist
    Platboy bar by Hitmon133

My checklist
    Stu's pot of shinies

Korean Girl Group Groupie

People will throw their storm trooper helmets in the air and sing with the ewoks for now, but this won't last. EA has to have come up with an alternative revenue stream and it's likely to be shaved out content with excessive emphasis on micro-transactions. If anybody thinks this is a good thing, enjoy your short cited happiness, because I guarantee something darker looms over the horizon.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Stay golden, Ponyboy

Why nevermind? That's exactly what you'll be able to do.

Give it a few weeks and all current EA titles will have their online passes either removed or provided free of charge.
    I had first asked when this was going to happen, then read the article and realized it said in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    People will throw their storm trooper helmets in the air and sing with the ewoks for now, but this won't last. EA has to have come up with an alternative revenue stream and it's likely to be shaved out content with excessive emphasis on micro-transactions. If anybody thinks this is a good thing, enjoy your short cited happiness, because I guarantee something darker looms over the horizon.
    Ehh that's a possibility but for right now I'm chalking this one up as a win.
    Avatar by TheGeneral09 | Platcard by RavenScythe
    My Trophy Checklist

PRO Member

I don't really care about the online passes being free, I would rather them just keep the servers going for more than a year.

Signature made by PixieOfDarkness | GDT bar by djunglist

PRO Member

We've all heard that EA is doing away with Online Passes for the next generation of consoles. What we didn't know is they're also doing it retrospectively for existing EA titles -

Let the "Ah fuck, I want a refund for my online pass!!!1!" pissing and moaning commence...
    I believe you mean retroactively, not retrospectively. To be retrospective, means you are looking back upon something.
    Anyway this is good news as I have a copy of skate 3 which I haven't started yet, and the online pass for it expired a long time ago, even though it was bought while the pass was still active. Seeing as how I don't like to have more on my plate than I can handle at 1 time, I got boned by EA's expiring pass, and this news actually makes me feel like I actually want to play the game now instead of just keeping it around till I "get to it"

Awesome sig by
    Kid420247! Thank you so much!!!

Many thanks to RaveNScythe18
    for the awesome platcard!!!

My Trophy List
    : Click Here

Lvl 7 - Gold

I can't wait for the class action lawsuit from those who used online passes. EA just had to settle (eight figures I believe) for their football monopoly, so having another legal settlement combined with that will make a pretty sizable dent in their wallet.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksu25 View Post
    I believe you mean retroactively, not retrospectively.
    Semantics mofo...right you are. It even says so in the article.

But I like to be consistent with the rest of the forum by tossing the occasional grammatical bone so I don't seem too far beyond the reach of the commoners. I am, afterall, a man of the people.

Kiwi Defender

I am, afterall, a man of the people.
    Screw you, then. I'd rather go build the impossible - Rapture!!111

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Good PR move, yet as a new game buyer only - think I've bought only maybe 3 used PS3 games ever...due to availability issues - it won't affect me directly. I guess indirectly, it will tone down the amount of hatred I have to read, yet some still like to moan when EA does anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tuvuu48- View Post
    I don't really care about the online passes being free, I would rather them just keep the servers going for more than a year.
    Probably never going to happen for sports games, as 50% of the problem is the leagues themselves.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 9 - Gold

I was going to resell my kingdoms of amalur but since they're ditching the pass, even though its free on PS store at the moment I have no HDD space to DL the damn thing.

Anyone know when the removal will actually happen?

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

I buy my games new so this was never an issue but nice to see others getting the benefit
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast