Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

And The Voice Of Snake in MGS5 is...

This is a discussion on And The Voice Of Snake in MGS5 is... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Ps360 i think MGSV is supposed to be a alternate timeline, thats the current consensus on the ...

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    i think MGSV is supposed to be a alternate timeline, thats the current consensus on the matter anyway.
    That's one way to force the issue, that's for sure. Can't say I think that makes him the "master storyteller" that people (fanboys) portray him as. Time will tell, but I expect Kojima is going to try and over think things so much to the point into becomes a M. Night Shayamalan type epic fail. The two are already getting comparisons, and this might be the "twist" that puts them in bed together forever.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Where did you hear that? Not true at all.
    well kojima says MGS5 is re-inventing/re-imagining the series.

so i automatically assumed it's a separate timeline.

source:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/8...jima-interview

Lvl 8 - Gold

well kojima says MGS5 is re-inventing/re-imagining the series.
    I think that has to do with gameplay. This is completely different from anything we've seen in MGS.

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    David Hayter at 44 is definitely out of the age range to play a 49 year old.
    Looks wise, he IS out of the age range. The man looks like he might be in his 30's [That image is from just last year.]. He doesn't look like a 49 year old, grizzled war vet.

Keifer does. And he sounds the part as well.

Again I say - Hayter's "Snake" voice doesn't mesh with the voice that Richard Doyle gives Big Boss in MGS4. They are way too different. Going from your early/mid 30's to late 40's [MGS3 to MGS5]- your voice will change a bit - especially if you smoke. The jump from late 40's to early/mid 60's [MGS5 to MGS4], however - isn't that big for someone who's been smoking that entire time [That's not to say it wouldn't change - it just wouldn't change THAT much - you wouldn't sound like an entirely different person, that's for sure.].

He wouldn't suddenly go from sounding like David Hayter to sounding like Richard Doyle after just 20 or so years. If anything, he'd have sounded the way Old Snake did. This means that his voice HAD to change eventually.

It's like if Keifer Sutherland started to sound like Gilbert Gottfried after a few years [THAT's how different Hayter's voice is to Doyle's]. That just wouldn't happen.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Looks wise, he IS out of the age range. The man looks like he might be in his 30's [That image is from just last year.]. He doesn't look like a 49 year old, grizzled war vet.

Keifer does. And he sounds the part as well.

Again I say - Hayter's "Snake" voice doesn't mesh with the voice that Richard Doyle gives Big Boss in MGS4. They are way too different. Going from your early/mid 30's to late 40's [MGS3 to MGS5]- your voice will change a bit - especially if you smoke. The jump from late 40's to early/mid 60's [MGS5 to MGS4], however - isn't that big for someone who's been smoking that entire time [That's not to say it wouldn't change - it just wouldn't change THAT much - you wouldn't sound like an entirely different person, that's for sure.].

He wouldn't suddenly go from sounding like David Hayter to sounding like Richard Doyle after just 20 or so years. If anything, he'd have sounded the way Old Snake did. This means that his voice HAD to change eventually.

It's like if Keifer Sutherland started to sound like Gilbert Gottfried after a few years [THAT's how different Hayter's voice is to Doyle's]. That just wouldn't happen.
    I've watched quite a few animes with David Hayter doing the voice acting, and I've heard his range go from teenager to old man - he can do it, trust me. You want to think otherwise, check out some of David's 90s anime work, and then come back around and tell me how his vocal range can't sit there and find the essense of an older more grizzled Snake. I personally have seen him do many voices at an anime convention, so to keep feeding me this bullshit that he isn't able to do it is poppycock.

And lets keep pretending that Keifer Sutherland looks like he's 49 also, when he doesn't look that much older than David Hayter to begin with and has less vocal range to start with.

I still think this is a major ploy by Kojima, but the excuses that you keep making at this point as thin as one of Kojima's plotlines.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Kiefer Sutherland?????

PRO Member

love Hayter's snake, but im a huge Sutherland fan...jack bauer does no wrong....and i'm excited to he this news...
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

VII

Fox

I've watched quite a few animes with David Hayter doing the voice acting, and I've heard his range go from teenager to old man - he can do it, trust me. You want to think otherwise, check out some of David's 90s anime work, and then come back around and tell me how his vocal range can't sit there and find the essense of an older more grizzled Snake. I personally have seen him do many voices at an anime convention, so to keep feeding me this bullshit that he isn't able to do it is poppycock.

And lets keep pretending that Keifer Sutherland looks like he's 49 also, when he doesn't look that much older than David Hayter to begin with and has less vocal range to start with.

I still think this is a major ploy by Kojima, but the excuses that you keep making at this point as thin as one of Kojima's plotlines.
    LOOKS wise. LOOKS. You're only talking about the voice. I didn't say Hayter couldn't pull off a 49 year old voice - I said that Hayter doesn't look 49. He may be able to do the voice, but he can't fake his face.

And are you honestly going to sit there and say that This guy looks the same age as this guy?

In what world? Keifer actually looks rough - his face is wrinkled, and he just looks older than he is [And that image is during some kind of party for the announcement of the new season of 24 this year - so you know he's likely in some kind of make-up to make him look better.]. David doesn't. David looks like he may be pushing 35-36 at most - the image is from some game event where he was being interviewed about Republique just last year, he too probably has some semblance of make-up on.

The other point you're missing is that Hayter's Snake sounds nothing at all like Big Boss in his old age. This is what I'm trying to get at - Big Boss wouldn't suddenly go from sounding like Solid Snake at age 49 - to sounding like Big Boss in MGS4. It just wouldn't happen.

If he were still Hayter's voice - he'd sound more like Old Snake - obviously, he doesn't - even in the Japanese version of MGS4, Big Boss is voiced by Akio Otsuka's father.

Since he obviously doesn't sound like Old Snake -this means that sometime in BB's life - his voice started to go from the Hayter voice, to a less gravelly, but still kind of gravelly voice.

It's not a matter of "Hayter can't do it" - it's a matter of "Hayter shouldn't do it" - his voice makes no sense for BB at this age. It was fine when Big Boss was younger. But now he's older - he needs to start sounding like his own character and deviating toward the voice he had in MGS4.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    LOOKS wise. LOOKS. You're only talking about the voice. I didn't say Hayter couldn't pull off a 49 year old voice - I said that Hayter doesn't look 49. He may be able to do the voice, but he can't fake his face.

And are you honestly going to sit there and say that This guy looks the same age as this guy?

In what world? Keifer actually looks rough - his face is wrinkled, and he just looks older than he is [And that image is during some kind of party for the announcement of the new season of 24 this year - so you know he's likely in some kind of make-up to make him look better.]. David doesn't. David looks like he may be pushing 35-36 at most - the image is from some game event where he was being interviewed about Republique just last year, he too probably has some semblance of make-up on.

The other point you're missing is that Hayter's Snake sounds nothing at all like Big Boss in his old age. This is what I'm trying to get at - Big Boss wouldn't suddenly go from sounding like Solid Snake at age 49 - to sounding like Big Boss in MGS4. It just wouldn't happen.

If he were still Hayter's voice - he'd sound more like Old Snake - obviously, he doesn't - even in the Japanese version of MGS4, Big Boss is voiced by Akio Otsuka's father.

Since he obviously doesn't sound like Old Snake -this means that sometime in BB's life - his voice started to go from the Hayter voice, to a less gravelly, but still kind of gravelly voice.

It's not a matter of "Hayter can't do it" - it's a matter of "Hayter shouldn't do it" - his voice makes no sense for BB at this age. It was fine when Big Boss was younger. But now he's older - he needs to start sounding like his own character.
    And you could probably pay both Hayter and a guy who looks exactly like Snake to mocap it for less than Keifer Sutherland. Keifer Sutherland as a vocal talent has the voice, but not the range, and as an actor is a pretty mediocre talent at best who rode the coat tails of his father to get a spot in the industry. He's not the better choice.

Hayter has more range than two voices, and has up until now been the voice of the character. Keep pretending he has 3 voices and that's it, and couldn't put enough grit and grizzle into the voice to make it sound different - it's not like the dude hasn't been having to portray the range of his voice for his entire professional life. He can't do it - so you say - and it's because of his youthful face. But hey let's keep the google image search up to match you point on how a voice actor who's shown he's one of the elite in the business no longer is elite enough to pull the job off.

Let's just keep dogpiling on David Hayter, it's not enough that Kojima and his "friends" do it in a reveal trailer, let's have his fans turn on him and say how he's no longer capable for the part because he doesn't "look" it, or that his vocal range can't meet the requirements of somebody in his actual age range. It's a lovely circle you're dancing, and the guy who's done the job so well that he's a major name by many video game fans who don't know voice actors names is out of the job.

But hey, whatever - you obviously know what you're talking about when it comes to Hayter and feel his lack of employment on the role that he's synonymous with is justified. "It makes no sense for BB at this age" as you say.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

I'm still going with the ploy of Hayter actually playing Solid Snake in MGS V thus the need for Kiefer, now that would be an exchange i'd love to hear.

Love Hayter and Kiefer, whatever happens with this, i'm happy but i'm a solid 90% sure that Hayter and Kojima are fucking with us. Probably even retwist into a reveal that Snake will actually be voiced by Kurt Fucking Russell and i will die a content man.

Lvl 9 - Gold

As the timeline goes on eventually we should see Solid Snake meet Big Boss (Hopefully). So since MGSV you play as Big Boss then the voice shouldn't be David Hayter and he should play actual Solid Snake. - like in MGS4 when Snake met Big Boss it was a different actor doing his voice.

Fox

And you could probably pay both Hayter and a guy who looks exactly like Snake to mocap it for less than Keifer Sutherland. Keifer Sutherland as a vocal talent has the voice, but not the range, and as an actor is a pretty mediocre talent at best who rode the coat tails of his father to get a spot in the industry. He's not the better choice.

Hayter has more range than two voices, and has up until now been the voice of the character. Keep pretending he has 3 voices and that's it, and couldn't put enough grit and grizzle into the voice to make it sound different - it's not like the dude hasn't been having to portray the range of his voice for his entire professional life. He can't do it - so you say - and it's because of his youthful face. But hey let's keep the google image search up to match you point on how a voice actor who's shown he's one of the elite in the business no longer is elite enough to pull the job off.

Let's just keep dogpiling on David Hayter, it's not enough that Kojima and his "friends" do it in a reveal trailer, let's have his fans turn on him and say how he's no longer capable for the part because he doesn't "look" it, or that his vocal range can't meet the requirements of somebody in his actual age range. It's a lovely circle you're dancing, and the guy who's done the job so well that he's a major name by many video game fans who don't know voice actors names is out of the job.

But hey, whatever - you obviously know what you're talking about when it comes to Hayter and feel his lack of employment on the role that he's synonymous with is justified. "It makes no sense for BB at this age" as you say.
    No one at all is "dogpiling on Hayter". No one's laughing at his loss, and saying he doesn't deserve the role or anything like that.

No longer being right for the role =/= Not being deserving.

I feel bad that Hayter is out of work - but them's the breaks sometimes. When your time is up, it's up. This isn't the same as the crap with Ubisoft changing Sam Fisher's voice for no real reason - he's still Sam Fisher, he should always have been Micheal Ironside.

This is another character in the series. This is Big Boss. He's not Solid. He's Big Boss. He needs to sound like a stand alone character. Frankly, I feel Hayter never should have done BB's voice - but the game likely wouldn't have sold if it wasn't him - look at how people are acting about MGSV. Liquid and Solidus both sounded like their own characters - why shouldn't BB?

Also, you keep talking about his range, and how he's done so many other voices - you seem to forget that every Snake he's voiced has sounded exactly the same - even Snakes that weren't even the real Solid. There's no range in the different characters he's voiced in the series - why would he suddenly start doing another voice? He wouldn't - instead, he'd make his Snake voice sound older. His other work is irrelevant in this case - he could have the range of a person going through puberty, PMS and menopause all at once - it doesn't change the fact that the Character of Snake hasn't changed much over the series in terms of his voice. It's just been refined. MGS4 was the biggest change he ever had.

Think about it - people don't want him on to do a different voice for the character - that's the whole issue people have is that there's a new voice. They want him on to do the same old Snake voice he always does. He could make BB sound older, like he did with Solid - but that would still be him doing Snake's voice - just older.

Plus, he struggled with Snake's voice in MGS4 - it was extremely hard on him - you think he'd want to try and do that again? Ruining his voice?

And again - why would BB sound exactly like Solid Snake? What sense does that really make to have two guys who sound exactly alike talking back and forth to each other? And how would Hayter Big Boss suddenly turn into Doyle Big Boss? Voices don't work like that. Just think about it for a second.

10 - 15 years from now, you're still going to sound like you - maybe a little worse for wear, but you'll still sound like you. Same way Solid Snake's jump to Old Snake wasn't a huge change - he still sounded like Solid Snake, but older and tired. THAT is how a voice works.

Why then, after only 18 or so years - would Big Boss, if he were voiced by Hayter - go from sounding like Old Snake, to how he sounds in MGS4? He sounds like a completely different person. His voice wouldn't have undergone that massive of a change in that short of a time.

The change from MGS3 to MGS4? Fine - that's a massive gap of time [50+ years], and he's been smoking the whole time likely - it makes sense then that he would sound different. But from MG2 to MGS4? That's not that long [18 years, minimum] - his voice wouldn't be that different from the end of MG2 to the point he meets Snake in 4 - just more injured and tired sounding [I mean, he was burned alive and kept in cryosleep for that whole 18 years.].

In order for his voice to match up with the voice established in MGS4 - it had to change. It had to stop sounding like Hayter's Snake. Sure, Hayter could start doing another voice - but it wouldn't be Snake then - and it wouldn't be what the so-called "fans" would want.

It's not that hard to understand, honestly. You keep trying to make it about talent and range - that's not what it is. Hayter just logically makes no sense. It's not about talent, or whether he can pull off the voice like you're making it out to be. It's the fact that he shouldn't be doing this character anymore.

Hell - who's to say MGSV isn't just a massive remake of MG1 and 2, and Hayter's actually on to do Solid Snake's voice, while Keifer handles BB? No one knows. Kojima can't be trusted on such things. But no, let's just keep assuming Hayter is gone for good because he's no longer voicing one of the two characters in the series that he used to.

Hell, this could all be a big ruse - Keifer isn't even listed as Big Boss - he's listed as Ishmael, like I pointed out in my first post. While that could be a hallucination BB is having which explains him having the same voice - it's still a red flag that maybe not all is as it seems.

Hayter is Solid Snake - there's no denying that. That doesn't mean he needs to be Naked Snake. He wasn't Liquid or Solidus, was he? Why, then, is it necessary for him to keep doing BB? Plenty of characters get their voice actors changed when the character gets older - because the original voice no longer fits the role - it's no different here.

VII

I doubt Hayter will ever do the voice for MGS V or any MGS game from now on since on his Twitter he said that he was fired.

So the "Hayter will voice Solid and Keifer will voice BB" speculation can be put to bed.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by KILLER_ View Post
    I doubt Hayter will ever do the voice for MGS V or any MGS game from now on since on his Twitter he said that he was fired.

So the "Hayter will voice Solid and Keifer will voice BB" speculation can be put to bed.
    Yeah, because twitter is reliable as hell. As others said, he could be a lier for all you know lol.

I don't care to be honest. Let fanboys rage abut it, and anti-fanboys argue with them about it. In teh end, I know I'll get a game with great gameplay and convulted-storytelling with far-fetched elements in it, and that's all I care about.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I can see being let down that the voice actor is changing. However, I don't think you can be upset with the man they chose. Superman, James Bond, and even Captain Kirk - the iconic characters of pop culture always change faces as time passes, and those from video games are not immune to the sands of time (Lara Croft, The Joker of Batman fame, and now Big Boss).

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

I suddenly have this urge to watch lost boys and eat Chinese food

I just hope Kief plays his role right
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

INTJ

still my favorite thing to come out of all of this

Lvl 8 - Gold

still my favorite thing to come out of all of this
    No imagination ofc.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

At least I like the voice actor they replaced him with. I just don't understand why. Like, why change the voice actor in the English version but not the Japanese version? "He needs to sound older" So they pick a guy that isn't much older than David Hayter but they were okay with him playing Old Snake? It just seems weird because no one asked for this. Like, a lot of people hated the voice actor for Cole in the first InFamous so they changed it but did anyone want another voice actor here? It just feels unnecessary considering we know David Hayter can do an older voice. I really want there to be a more logical explanation to this but I feel like this is really what they are going with. At least Kojima always gives us a spectacle with his games.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast