Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

And The Voice Of Snake in MGS5 is...

This is a discussion on And The Voice Of Snake in MGS5 is... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by AceOfKnaves92 So they pick a guy that isn't much older than David Hayter but they were okay ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfKnaves92 View Post
    So they pick a guy that isn't much older than David Hayter but they were okay with him playing Old Snake?
    Um if you've played MGS4 you will know that Old Snake isn't actually old

PRO Member

Trailer coming June 12th!.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by parkerdip View Post
    Um if you've played MGS4 you will know that Old Snake isn't actually old
    Yes, he is. Her suffers from accelerated aging so his actual age doesn't mean jack.

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfKnaves92 View Post
    At least I like the voice actor they replaced him with. I just don't understand why. Like, why change the voice actor in the English version but not the Japanese version? "He needs to sound older" So they pick a guy that isn't much older than David Hayter but they were okay with him playing Old Snake? It just seems weird because no one asked for this. Like, a lot of people hated the voice actor for Cole in the first InFamous so they changed it but did anyone want another voice actor here? It just feels unnecessary considering we know David Hayter can do an older voice. I really want there to be a more logical explanation to this but I feel like this is really what they are going with. At least Kojima always gives us a spectacle with his games.
    If this is all completely true - and Kojima's not just trolling people hard - then yes, there is a logical explanation:

Like I was trying to explain to Rubicant: Hayter's Snake voice doesn't fit with Big Boss' voice later in his lifetime. His face also doesn't look old enough to play BB in the facial capture. Akio Otsuka, on the other hand [The Japanese Snake actor]- can likely do a voice that sounds closer to his father's [The man who voiced Big Boss in MGS4], what with them being related and all. Plus he looks old enough to play the part in facial capture - thus, no reason to change him.

On the English side of things - David Hayter isn't related to Richard Doyle - and the voice that Hayter created for Naked Snake, as I said, in no way syncs up to the voice Richard Doyle created for older Big Boss. Keifer's voice, on the other hand, sounds much closer to Doyle's. And he looks the part more than Hayter.

His choice really does make sense in the overall scheme of things.

The reason David Hayter played Old Snake, is because that was still Solid Snake - they couldn't really change his voice actor, unless Hayter just plain couldn't get the voice right. Solid Snake and Naked Snake are not the same character, and therefore, should not sound exactly the same. Even if Solid doesn't appear in MGSV - he and Big Boss have to meet eventually, they should have different voices.

That said, even though Hayter pulled off Old Snake - it wasn't easy for him. He said a while back that by the end of MGS4, he was honestly struggling to keep that voice going - it hurt and was difficult for him to do.

I honestly doubt it'd be any easier to do for Big Boss.

The final issue, which I didn't mentioned before, is that Hayter, frankly, is a terrible screen/performance actor. The Guyver: Dark Hero is testament to that - one of the very few live action things he's ever done where he wasn't himself, or he wasn't just goofing off.

Given that they are now using tech to capture facial performances with the voice acting [Like LA Noire] - this is a pretty big deal.

It's better to hire an actor capable of doing both voice work and performance acting in cases like this, as opposed to using two separate actors for one character - it creates a more believable performance in the end, unlike splicing together two different performances and trying to get them to sync together - which never quite happens.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Sorry if someone else has said this (I don't have time to read every post) but I think Big Boss and Solid Snake will be in this game with Sutherland and Hayter playing both respectively.

KCCO!

six of one, half-a-dozen of the other. Makes no difference as long as he does a reasonably good job. The gameplay is what sells. Not like someone's gonna be like "Man, I gotta get MGSV! The voice acting will be phenomenal!" :stare:

PRO Member

huh?
    I just started watching 24 again recently ... funny coincidence I suppose

Just for shits and giggles I thought I'd add this video

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanchan View Post
    six of one, half-a-dozen of the other. Makes no difference as long as he does a reasonably good job. The gameplay is what sells. Not like someone's gonna be like "Man, I gotta get MGSV! The voice acting will be phenomenal!" :stare:
    The voice acting was 30% why I decided to get into MGS 1. No other game of that era had such a deep emphasis on spoken dialogue to forward the story, just a shame that so many fail to see it as a feature nowadays.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    The voice acting was 30% why I decided to get into MGS 1. No other game of that era had such a deep emphasis on spoken dialogue to forward the story, just a shame that so many fail to see it as a feature nowadays.
    Don't forget the other games that used voice-acting at that time blew big time (especially Resident Evil).

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Yeah, because twitter is reliable as hell. As others said, he could be a lier for all you know lol.

I don't care to be honest. Let fanboys rage abut it, and anti-fanboys argue with them about it. In teh end, I know I'll get a game with great gameplay and convulted-storytelling with far-fetched elements in it, and that's all I care about.
    Xactly!

I welcome whatever comes

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 9 - Gold

I admit to being intrigued by this news of Sutherland voicing Snake, even though I know I've said before that I couldn't really picture anyone else voicing Snake as well as Hayter has. But still - a part of me still calls an element of bullshit.

Kojima, as we all know, is a master bullshitter. This may still turn out to be his greatest jape yet.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Looking at Sutherland's voice acting resume, it's pretty weak. The only two video game gigs he's done is a 24 game and a role in COD WAW. 24 is basically a read through of a script from the show, so not much extra went into it. As far as Call of Duty, it's nowhere near a game built around storytelling and acting.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm still betting on Hayter voicing snake pre coma in ground zeros, and Sutherland voicing snake post coma. That would actually make alooooot of sense. I'd be mad and even consider not buying MGSV if David Hayter has no part in the whole picture, but it wouldn't make sense for him to be voicing an old big boss.

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by nagflar View Post
    don't forget the other games that used voice-acting at that time blew big time (especially resident evil).
    Don't open that door!

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Don't open that door!
    Too late!

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Wow, what a mansion!

The days when RE required a brain to be played.

Lvl 7 - Gold

It sounded like John Wayne reading lines when he was drunk, and possibly during a power outage and by candlelight.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

INTJ

Lvl 8 - Gold

To be honest I wouldn't put something like this past Kojima. He enjoys messing with everyone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123