Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PS3 blinking red light during Last of Us.

This is a discussion on PS3 blinking red light during Last of Us. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So anyway, this is, as far as I can remember, my slim PS3's very first ever blinking red light, while ...

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

PS3 blinking red light during Last of Us.

So anyway, this is, as far as I can remember, my slim PS3's very first ever blinking red light, while playing the Last of Us. Today, while in the middle of the game, the PS3 suddenly shut itself off, and left a blinking red light where the power light was. I switched off the power supply, waited for it to cool down, and then rebooted it up with no problems, so far.

I have already backed up most of my saves, the important ones, onto a thumbdrive as well as my laptop. Now, from your experience, this blinking red light is symptomatic of an overheating problem, yes? I have been using my slim PS3 for 3-4 years with no problems, aside from some games' own freezing problems.

Well, if this blinking red light appears again however long into the future, I will send it into my local game shop for repair, I guess. What are your suggestions on this matter? And oh, for your info, I have also been vacuuming the back of the vent once every week with a mini-vacuum and my PS3 is in a well-ventilated place with aircon, my room. Safe to say, I have been taking good care of it so I would presume.
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

O_o

It's caught the infection, run!!

Kiwi Defender

I'd say it sounds like a hardware-related issue, but you said it's never happened before, so it might be software-related. Taking that into account, I made a quick Google search to see if anything similar has happened to other people, and here are some results:

ps3 shutting down while playing the last of us - PlayStation« Community Forums
    The Last of Us makes my PS3 turn off help? - PS3 NEWS - PlayStation 3 News - PS3 CFW - PS3 Hacks - PS3 JailBreak - PS3 Forums
    Game Turns PS3 off. - The Last of Us Message Board for PlayStation 3 - GameFAQs
    the last of us auto make my PS3 turn off

Thus, I think your PS3 is safe, and the issue is, indeed, the game's fault.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Oh, that IS interesting, Nagflar! Thanks so much for your efforts in finding those threads. *thumbsup*

Negator

Most likely a heating issue.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 8 - Gold

A blinking red light means you have an issue with overheating. Maybe TLOU puts too much strain on the system and it overheats faster than when playing other games.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

That makes sense too, thanks! Let's see if this incident happens again while I continue playing the Last of Us, including its multiplayer.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Was this in multiplayer? or SP

I had to leave my ps3 overnight I finished the story on hard in two sittings and it only had a few issues with cutscenes blacking out but thats it.

PRO Member

This have happed one time for me already about 50% done! and also the autosave function have stopped working once or twice. This started to happend right after they released the patch. If it keeps up you might want to delete the patch.

Platboy Online Knight

I remember reading about shit like this with Uncharted 3 discs. If not overheating, than other issues. My sound cut out once on Uncharted 3, but that was it I rarely played the multi player, and didn't finish the , so I never saw real issues with it.

Lvl 7 - Gold

as much as i want many games on release i tend to stay away until these issues are addressed always seem to be some problem

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    Was this in multiplayer? or SP

I had to leave my ps3 overnight I finished the story on hard in two sittings and it only had a few issues with cutscenes blacking out but thats it.
    This issue happened for me in single-player. As for the newer comments, looks like there is a pattern with overheating and the Last of Us as the culprit after all, in some parts of the game, that is.

illegal in 9 countries

I'd call it a software issue, particularly given you're on a Slim.

A hard crash (forced system reboot) does not necessarily mean overheating, it could mean the game's code divided by zero, or tried to create a blackhole, or Bender Bender Rodriguez Sr. is attempting to enter the room carrying ancient treasure and the PS3 couldn't execute the command.

If the hard crash happens randomly, regardless of which game you're playing, call it hardware. Until then, relax...it's probably just the game fucking up.

Lvl 7 - Gold

No need to send it to a repairman. They're either going to send it back the same or charge you for doing nothing. Some games cause your system to crash, and there's nothing you can really do about it (well, at least until there is a patch available for download). The Last of Us has a lot of complaints on it crashing the system, especially during the autosave.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I heard The Last Of Us is causing lots of problems to some users so your problem hopefully isn't overheating

Gaming since 1985!

I had the infamous auto-save problem here and any time I quit the game (after they fixed the auto save prob) it does a hard reset. I dont like this.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

The Last Of Us seems buggy and problematic right now.
    Last edited by FrostZone; 06-18-2013 at 02:10 AM.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Thanks all for the new comments!

Update: So far, since my first blinking red light as mentioned above, there was only a second blinking red light during multiplayer with a few friends. Since then, the game ran fine for a long time. Since there is an increasing number of topics on the Last of Us forums on the PS3 switching itself off during Last of Us, this may not be attributed to an overheating problem after all, like you all said.

I can partially understand why the Last of Us might cause the PS3 to turn itself off; its graphics are nothing short of AMAZING. So I would understand if it sometimes put a heavy load on the PS3's CPU in some cutscenes or some multiplayer matches. *thumbsup*

Platboy Online Knight

Tomb Raider looks as good as this game though, it is probably the best looking multi platform game this gen I have seen. And I never had any problems with it, cut scenes, or gameplay, or multiplayer, and my friend downloaded it off the store, and she hasn't had any problems. And she makes it quite obvious all the time, that she owns a slim.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

My 320GB Slim just freezes in TLOU :< but yea I needed a pause =)
    Off-Topic:
    Also I start playing the game without doing any update to the game and I saw that I don't receive any trophy so I did update to the last version 1.03 I guess + I used the MP Voucher and I still don't get any trophy , do I need to start again the game to get them if so I will play it again anyway on survival . Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast