IO Interactive cancels all projects except Hitman

This is a discussion on IO Interactive cancels all projects except Hitman within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hitman developer IO Interactive is laying off ”almost half” of its staff and cancelling all projects so it can focus ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

IO Interactive cancels all projects except Hitman

Hitman developer IO Interactive is laying off ”almost half” of its staff and cancelling all projects so it can focus on the future of the Hitman franchise.In a statement (via Eurogamer) Square Enix VP of corporate communications Chris Glover said, ”The studio will focus resolutely on the future vision for the Hitman franchise and is in pre-production on a new AAA Hitman project. However we have taken the difficult decision to cancel other studio projects and initiatives at IO and reduce the workforce in this studio, which will impact almost half of the employees currently at IO, as we make internal adjustments to face the challenges of today’s market.
    “For those affected, we are extremely grateful for the hard work which they have contributed, and where it’s possible and appropriate to relocate staff to open positions at other studios within the group, we will try to do so. We are also reaching out to other companies for outplacement opportunities. We sincerely wish them well in their future careers.”
    So that means any hopes you had for a third Kane & Lynch game just got dashed. We wish all those affected the best of luck in the future.
    I guess there will definitely be a new Hitman game then which is good. Feel bad for the staff that got layed off because of it though

source: IO Interactive Cancels All Projects Except Hitman | EGMNOW

Lvl 8 - Gold

So much for the Freedom Fighters 2 now, damn....

Lvl 6 - Silver

Further signs of Square Enix's problems I suppose. Wonder what their other projects were?

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Redding View Post
    Wonder what their other projects were?
    Freedom Fighters 2 obviously or even a new IP perhaps, who knows.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stefanovich777 View Post
    Freedom Fighters 2 obviously or even a new IP perhaps, who knows.
    Mini Ninjas 2!

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

I hope the new Hitman game is open world. every other game coming out appears to be open world

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

PRO Member

Loved Absolution, can't wait to see what the next game looks like.

NSFW

Nooo.... we need more nakedness. Where is our Kane and Lynch, so we can have short campaigns, crappy story and even worse controls? I demand reconsideration .

In all honesty, Hitman was the only thing they really had going for them, with the maybe exception of Freedom Fighter (although I found that to be subpar), so it may be a smart move, but if they don't want to end driving a one way street they may want to dish out a new IP soon.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Cipher sent us to hell

I actually enjoyed Kane & Lynch. The first one, while certainly having flaws, had a certain charm to it. In particular, I loved the co-op experience as each character wasn't just copy&paste from each other. I wish it was online. K&L2, while having online co-op, seemed to lack a sense of direction. I would still support the series if it was to happen but I guess now we'll never know. Oh well, I suppose. Hitman is a favorite of mine.
    PS3/Vita/PS4: x13ucketHeaDx | X360: x13ucketHeaDx | Steam: x13ucketHeaDx

"Kaz... I'm already a demon."