Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange Relationship

This is a discussion on Strange Relationship within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hello fellow gamers. I look around me on this site and see lots of people who are committed to gaming. ...

Dull Ember

Strange Relationship

Hello fellow gamers. I look around me on this site and see lots of people who are committed to gaming. I like to think of myself as someone who enjoys gaming but sometimes it gets the better of me a little. As a married father of two who works very long hours I sometimes feel I spend too much time at my PS3. What I'm asking here is am I on my own? Are you happy with the amount of time and effort you spend gaming? Do other, more important, aspects of your life not get the attention they deserve because of your commitment/obsession?

Synthwave <3

No, you're not alone, Elpoko. I absolutely love gaming and sometimes I think both me and my hubby spend too much time gaming or doing gaming related things. We try not to let it get in the way of more important things, but sometimes it does. I think we've gotten a lot better about it than we used to be. I'd say as long as you take care of things that are the most important in your life like work and family you deserve to relax and game, especially if that's what your hobby is. That's just my opinion for what it's worth.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'm married with a kid myself. Gaming is one of the few hobbies I've retained since being married. It's something I can enjoy doing at night when everyone's asleep. I normally get a few hours in at night during the weekdays if at all. I might get some longer sessions in on the weekends by staying up later or playing during the day some if the family is out running errands.

But overall, yes, I'm happy with the amount of time I spend gaming. I don't think I over-do it. I take care of my responsibilities during the day and when I get some time to myself at night I like to blow stuff up.

Forget I Was Ever Here

I for one experience the same feeling Elpoko as I have a 2 year daughter who I feel doesn't spend to much time with me due to gaming and the amount of time I put into my school work. When my wife gets home I play games and kind of ignore both of them which is wrong I know but it takes the stress off me and I have some time to relax. My daughter and I have a bond we watch tv together we even go shopping regularly where she puts whatever in the shopping kart at walmart or toysrus and we have fun just when were home its like she is on her own. I spend the mornings and afternoons doing as much homework as I can.

i spend a lot of time gaming however its mostly at night and if you ever see my name on playing most of the time i'm not its on pause and were watching memo or something or cleaning although i still feel like i play to much. my marriage would definitely be better if i didn't play so much thats for sure.

It is time for me to go underground

♚ Overlord ♔

This seems to be more of a life question rather than a ps3 related question. You sound like your not satisfied with the time you send on your console. If you send to much time on your console to the point of where it gets in the way of your family then stop, better yet ask your two kids to join you with kiddy games not GoW

Now are you really asking if trophy hunters are satisfied with the time they spend going for platinums? Of course we do! If not why do we keep getting them? My gaming obsession/hobby never hurt anyone so why stop now

Bob 'n' Becca

I know that I seldom feel the desire to go out, like to bars and whatnot, but I've always felt that way. I don't neglect my old lady or daughter, but I do think sometimes I game too much. I work two jobs and it just feels natural to relax with a controller in my hand after a hard day and night of working, if it is at all possible. As long as you take care of what you need to, an you feel like yer still committing a healthy amount of time to other things that interest you yer in good shape.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Now that child number two has popped out of my wife I definitely don't have nearly as much time for gaming. I used to be able to get in a few hours a day, mostly when my daughter was napping, but now that I have a three month old son as well and switched around my work schedule to accommodate my wife getting a new job I really only have time to game on the weekends. I find that I'm actually kind of alright with that because I don't have a ton of stuff that I really want to play right now and I feel like I was probably playing too much beforehand. Work and family definitely come first, but I still gots to game. Just not as much anymore

Notorious K.I.D.

I've been raising my 3 kids by myself for the last 12 years, and they've all turned into little gamers themselves. Considering all the other stupid shit I see kids doing nowadays, I think I'm pretty lucky, I don't go to bed without hearing "I love you" from all of them. My oldest boy plays the PS3 more than I do nowadays, my daughter has her DS for the Sims; but it's really the middle boy that sucks up all the gaming time, and he's even got his own 360. I don't drink, I don't hit my kids, I'm not a grandpa yet, the list goes on and on; gaming seems incredibly tame compared to what I could be doing.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

Lvl 3 - Bronze

No, you're not alone! (Zod mode). I actually spend a lot of time gaming, but I do have a GF and she's kinda getting into games and all... I don't think I over-play a lot... I do work almost every day and spend time with my beloved one!
    Platinums : Assassin's Creed II - Batman: Arkham Asylum - Batman: Arkham City - Dante's Inferno - Darksiders I - Dead Space - God Of War I - God Of War II - God Of War III - God Of War: Ascension - God Of War: Chains Of Olympus - God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta - Heavy Rain - inFamous - Mass Effect 2 - Mass Effect 3 - Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed I - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Uncharted II: Among Thieves

Venire, Videre, Vince

There is time for everything under the sun, so with that being said, every body has time to do what they feel like doing.

There are more important things in life than gaming that take priority. Everyone has responsibilities that must be taken care of. Once you do that then gaming is like a reward/treat (however you want to call it) for your hard work that you can enjoy when you have free time. As for me the amount of time I spent on playing video games is not much but I am satisfied when I get a change here or there to play.

Currently Playing:
    Cid's gaming activities

Rockstar | Bungie
    xEl_Cidx's La Conquista checklist

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol

PRO Member

I think going out is overrated. What happens to me is sometimes when I go out I wish I had stayed home playing, anyone else feel like that?.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'm 22, single, and I graduated from college earlier this year. I've been "chillin'" at home for a while so I am lucky to be able to play virtually all day long if I so desired. I have other hobbies, I listen to music all day long, I read in bed before I go to sleep, and I write when I feel like it. I don't watch television, and my friends are most of the time too busy to hang out, so that leaves me with a lot of the day to game. However once I start working I'm sure that'll change.
    In any case, I think gaming is just like watching tv or reading, some people like it more than others, and some have more time to do it, I don't think dedication has a lot to do with it in the sense that you can be dedicated even if you can only play 1 hour a day.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

illegal in 9 countries

As a father of three kids (3 years, 2 years and 6 months) and an avid lifelong gamer, I know my priorities are to my family, work and health, leaps and bounds ahead of my own entertainment. But what I do with the time I have left in the day (usually between 9pm and 12am nightly) is entirely at my discretion and I feel zero guilt over dedicating that time to gaming.

To allay any feelings of guilt, I make it a point not to play games when my kids are awake. Kids only want two things from their parents - time and love, so give both freely. Kids learn by example and I believe that playing video games alone instead of spending time with them sets the wrong example at this early stage of their lives. If it's daylight, there are far better and healthier ways to spend my time and theirs than vegging out in front of the idiot box.

That said, my boy is now at an age where he's capable of playing video games by himself. So, every week or two on Saturday mornings after his soccer practice, he plays a bit of Skylanders Giants (which he loves!). He's managed to crank out the first few levels solo and we completed our first co-op level ever this past weekend, which was a proud Gamer Dad moment for me.

In total, he's only played PS3/360 for maybe 5 hours in his life (much more mostly educational stuff on iPad), but it's amazing how quickly kids pick things up and he can confidently use a dual analog controller to move his avatar around a level and navigate the menus & dialogue interactions. I feel that developing the hand-eye coordination and fine motor control you get from playing video games is an important part of his development, so my wife is actually quite supportive of him picking up a DualShock every now and then. As long as its moderated and part of a broader healthy lifestyle, I'm happy for him to game.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is playing video games is a pastime as valid as any other, be it TV, movies, books, music, internet, cars, drinking, smoking, gambling or sports and there's no reason you can't involve your kids in your gaming. As long as it's in moderation and you strike a balance between what you need to survive, what your kids need to thrive and what you need for stress relief, you should feel no guilt over how you spend your free time.

How I personally found that balance was by sacrificing a cushy, office-bound career for a risky, freelance job by working from home. So unlike most fathers, I get to see my kids all the time while I'm making my dough. Not everybody has that luxury, but by doing it, I've regained a couple of hours I'd normally waste on travel time and get to pick and choose the hours I work...which is still a lot!

TL;DR - Don't sacrifice the wrong things (kids, wife, health) and you won't feel guilt over gaming.

Plats-O'-War!!

I love to game, but my wife's my #1 priority. Ever since I got married, I sold off most of my gaming backlog (which is fine with me) and I've began to develop a sense of balance in my personal time, (which is spent either working out, playing online, or chillin with friends), and it seems to fit my lifestyle more. Now that I've moved, and got a new job, my gaming time has decreased to evenings; which is fine with me seeing that I get the most out of gaming in the evening anyway. My wife's NOT a gamer by any means, but she'll kick my ass in Street Fighter for sure!!

Bob 'n' Becca

Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    I think going out is overrated. What happens to me is sometimes when I go out I wish I had stayed home playing, anyone else feel like that?.
    I feel that way.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Join the club. I have been married for almost 4 years now and have 4 children. Back in the day my friend and I played for hours sometimes for days straight and now I still game a lot but I put most of my RPGs away because they take too much consistent time to enjoy the story and gameplay. I also have a severe head injury so gaming sometimes gets frustrating when I consistently forget the controls.

Local Drunk

Not married and don't have kids (that I know of lol) so I can do whatever, whenever for however long I want but make sure to spend time with friends, do my studies and such.

Gotta make sure the important things come first and gaming is always second.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Negator

Gaming is near the bottom of my list of priorities, but I do wish I had time to game like I did 2 years ago.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Trophy Huntin'

I've been playing video games for practically my whole life, and although it's my main if not only past time, i've actually began to grow a little less interested in it than I did before. My girlfriend and I both play a lot of games, so at least there's that and some of our bonding/ hangout time is spent playing games together or watching each other play.. But sometimes i do find myself prioritizing plats over other things. Games don't hold my interest as long as they used to. I still love them, just in much smaller increments. I'm a college student who is currently on summer break and recently quit my job due to hating every aspect of it. That being said, I would much rather go out with my girlfriend and actually do things productive, but I still love my games even though they don't captivate me like they used to. I spend pretty much all of my free time playing games if my girlfriend is unavailable, at work or doing something with one of her friends. In the past, however, I did find myself not giving things that actually mattered the attention they deserved. Now a days, I prioritize the more important things, but at the same time I end up having games on my mind more often than not.

Looking for some new games? Check out the Trading post for some great deals!
    Latest Platinum: Batman: The Order 1886

Working On: PS4: Star Wars Battlefront and Rocket League
    PS3: Dishonored and Borderlands the Pre-Sequel
    Vita: Rainbow Moon and Hotline Miami 2

Still the Chocobo

When I was young, my parents threw me a Sega. Ever since it feels like I've been playing all this time. Over the last couple years or so though, I've had to change my focus. When I met my wife, I didn't care for my games really. I eventually picked them up but played at a much slower pace. I got married and started obviously focusing on my wife more. I usually just wait until its quiet at the end of the night and play for a few hours or midday on weekends is good too as my wife takes regular naps.

I have made video game a priority way too high on the list before and have learned from it. I don't think I'm as unbalanced as I was though. When I do get free time though, there's nothing else I'd rather do. I am getting a guitar for my bday this year, so I can start jamming every now and then on that too.

Plus I work hard and love my wife right. Why not play with my favorite toy after my duties are fufilled?
    Currently Playing:
    Zombie Tycoon 2
    Brainhov's Revenge

Nothing is true,
    everything is permitted.

Flashy Avatar by K.I.D
    Beautiful Signature by Beam & K.I.D

If I could, I would GLOW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast