Disconnected from media server?

This is a discussion on Disconnected from media server? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So I have a PS3 and a laptop, they're both hooked up to the same wireless internet, but I never ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Disconnected from media server?

So I have a PS3 and a laptop, they're both hooked up to the same wireless internet, but I never really tried to get them to interact before. I did start noticing, however, that every time I turned my laptop off while my PS3 was on, I'd get a little message saying I'd been disconnected from a media server, which makes me think the two devices must at least be aware of each other. At first I didn't really care, I found no need to try to access my laptop through my PS3, or vice versa. But lately my computer has been bogging down and acting crappy, not playing videos very well and such, and I've been thinking more and more about how awesome it would be to be able to access all the cool stuff on my computer through my PS3. So is that possible, and if so how? I feel like it should be ridiculously easy and I'm just missing something.
    I also have an external hard drive that would be a perfect go-between for the two, but the PS3 doesn't recognize it. I'll take advice on either one.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

download a program to ur laptop called ps3mediaserver, , , , , its all gravy from ther, the windows one works, but can b a bit of stuffin about, that program makes it super easy!

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

theres a program called PS3 media server google it
    install it and it will stream videos to your ps3 but depending on the format i think

i have it and use it occasionally

Roo Commander

Watching videos and listening to music etc through this setup is as simple as going to the video selection on the PS3 and going onto your PC's name. Then all your videos will appear and you can watch them.

Kiwi Defender

As the two guys above me said, get PS3Mediaserver. Download it, run it and you'll see a window pop up. Wait for it to detect your PS3 and then search for your laptop under the XMB. Afterwards find whatever file it is you want to check and baam, there ya go.

I do suggest using a wired internet conenction on your PS3, though, for it could be laggy with the wireless one. That always happens to me whenever I try to watch my vids.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

yea my nephew streams of my puta using wirless, it does lagg up, he finds that just pausing it for a few minutes lets it catch up on itself!

also my puta shit itself a mnth ago, an using a very crappy lappy for said purpose and combination of low processor speed geting way too hot an low ram cuased it too behave poorly too!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Pigpen View Post
    I also have an external hard drive that would be a perfect go-between for the two, but the PS3 doesn't recognize it. I'll take advice on either one.
    If you wanted to go the external route all you need to do is format it as FAT32 and the PS3 will recognize it. The reason why SONY went with FAT32 instead of NTFS is because Microsoft told them that they couldn't use "their" format and would have to use the outdated format. Just M$ being pricks still .... sigh I guess nothing ever changes.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Download the application called 'PS3 Media Server'.

Roo Commander

Quote Originally Posted by M--V--P View Post
    Download the application called 'PS3 Media Server'.
    Don't even need to download that to watch stuff that's on the computer via the PS3, they will interact though the modem/router of the internet. That's how mine does it anyway.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

Always wondered why my ps3 says that when I close my laptop, now I know
    "Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life." -Stephen King

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Don't even need to download that to watch stuff that's on the computer via the PS3, they will interact though the modem/router of the internet. That's how mine does it anyway.
    Mine too, never had to do a thing .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Editor in Chief - Editorials

Quote Originally Posted by nemec8 View Post
    download a program to ur laptop called ps3mediaserver, , , , , its all gravy from ther, the windows one works, but can b a bit of stuffin about, that program makes it super easy!
    As my unintelligable Australian compatriot has suggested, PS3MediaServer is the way to go. It's a fantastic package, and very easy to use.
    Simply install it on your network-connected PC, select the media or folders that you wish to make available, and launch the server. Navigation on the XMB is simple, and streaming is smooth. If your connection isn't great, you can directly copy files from your computer to your PS3 via PS3MS, eliminating the need to stream.

The program is free, btw.