Important - About transferring saves to PS3 Super Slim?

This is a discussion on Important - About transferring saves to PS3 Super Slim? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Okay, as a few of you may know from reading a previous thread, my lovely old PS3 Slim of 3-4 ...

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Important - About transferring saves to PS3 Super Slim?

Okay, as a few of you may know from reading a previous thread, my lovely old PS3 Slim of 3-4 years encountered its first blinking red light issues while playing the Last of Us (overheating problem). While this is becoming a more frequent problem among other PS3 users online as well for that game, this issue became more frequent for me, especially while playing multiplayer with friends.

Now, as a huge Sony fan and with quite some disposable income, I decided against sending my PS3 Slim for repair, seeing as the Last of Us is the only game to cause this blinking red light but other games still run fine on my PS3, and instead will be buying a PS3 Super Slim (white, *drool*) today.

Now, I have already backed up all my *copyable* saves to my PSN Plus cloud. Thus, my question is:

1) Since saves are locked to the console itself, I assume restoring saves from a thumbdrive is not recommended when transferring them to a new console? Thus, it is better to restore the saves from the PSN Plus cloud itself, yes (since I assume the same account will allow you to use the same saves on another console)?

2) When I start up the new PS3 Super Slim, I can log into my old account in there and download all the bought games from my download history, again, yes?

EDIT:
    3) When I log into my old account in my new PS3 Super Slim, will I be able to continue off from where my current trophy list is, like continue to get the trophies I have not yet gained in a current game I am playing?

4) Are there any other issues I should also be aware of when transferring whatever stuff I need from my old PS3 Slim to my new PS3 Super Slim?

Thanks very much for your time! ^o^ Y
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Lvl 6 - Silver

I thought saves were locked to the user account not the system. I had no problem tranferring my saves from my Fatty to my slim(not a super slim).

Yes you can download all your games again.

Yes your trophy progress remains seeing your account is tied to PSN not your console.

Not really sure of any tranferring problems for the super slim. Some of my themes I transfered from my Fatty got corrupted but thats about it.

PRO Member

I have recently replaced my ps3 slim to super slim due to the disc drive had failed. I did a ps3 to ps3 transfer all your saves will work fine with and without the cloud. It took me over tad bit over 9 hours to transfer all the data and save files from old ps3 to the new ps3. Had over 200 Gb on the hard drive.

I found this this video useful and it also has his website for step by step. How to Transfer All Your Information to a New PS3 - YouTube

Negator

Use the Data Transfer feature. It'll handle the rest.

Don't forget to deactivate your system if you decide to get rid of it.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Thanks for the comments.

Oh right, I should deactivate my old console then but I would never get rid of it since it is still in working condition for all games except the Last of Us. *shrug*

Lvl 9 - Gold

Be sure that your current trophies "sync to server" before you transfer your content. If you have unlocked trophies on your current PS3 and don't sync them, but you transfer your saves, it could cause issues with trying to gain those trophies again on your new PS3. Though, as long as you keep your current PS3 around, you should be able to sync it at any time. But, better safe than sorry.

Other than pointing that out, it seems you've got everything under control. And yes, all games/content can be downloaded from your Download List, or just using the PS Store to grab specifically what you want, when you want it.

PRO Member

You should have no problem I have a a slim and super slim. When you log in the first time on your new super slim Sync your trophies and they will all show up on your new super slim. Than transfer saver from cloud onto system. Only thing you will have to do is any patches and installs from games.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

illegal in 9 countries

You have nothing to worry about.

1. Upload saves to PS+ and sync trophies on old PS3. Unprotected saves can be copied to USB.
    2. Connect to an existing PSN account on new PS3.
    3. Download saves from PS+ and sync trophies on new PS3. Restore unprotected saves from USB.
    4. Load / download / patch games.
    5. Profit.

You can use all of your PSN content on both consoles concurrently (newer content is limited to 2 consoles, older to 5 consoles) or as Helyx suggested, deactivate the PSN id on the old PS3 if you no longer intend to use it.

Keep in mind you can upload saves as much as you like to the PS+ cloud, but can only download each game save once every 24 hours. That only matters if you plan to play on one PS3 and pickup your game on another.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Alright, thanks! I have now mostly set up everything now on my new PS3 Super Slim, just have to finish syncing my hard-earned trophy list and downloading all the important saves from the cloud.

One question though: I was able to deactivate Game content from my old PS3 console and activate the same on my new Super Slim. As for Video content, strangely, I deactivated a few times on all accounts on my old PS3 console but I still cannot yet activate the Video content on my new Super Slim (maximum number of systems for Video content is only one); I checked the website then, and it showed Video content was still activated on the old PS3 console. I guess maybe the network is a little slow atm?

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    Alright, thanks! I have now mostly set up everything now on my new PS3 Super Slim, just have to finish syncing my hard-earned trophy list and downloading all the important saves from the cloud.

One question though: I was able to deactivate Game content from my old PS3 console and activate the same on my new Super Slim. As for Video content, strangely, I deactivated a few times on all accounts on my old PS3 console but I still cannot yet activate the Video content on my new Super Slim (maximum number of systems for Video content is only one); I checked the website then, and it showed Video content was still activated on the old PS3 console. I guess maybe the network is a little slow atm?
    Video's another problem altogether.

You can try the Sony site at https://account.sonyentertainmentnet...c/login.action and Deactivate the Video content from there.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Video's another problem altogether.

You can try the Sony site at https://account.sonyentertainmentnet...c/login.action and Deactivate the Video content from there.
    Indeed, I tried that link though the remote deactivation feature is only available for Game content, but not Video content. I think I will just try again with deactivating the Video content on my old PS3 console until it registers on the network. Sony is pretty strict with Video content, it seems, and the only way to contact them to deactivate for me is to call them. O_O

EDIT: Oh and one more thing, I could not see any saves yet in the Online Storage part of the Saves section of my new PS3 Super Slim even though I was already logged into my main account. I guess I have to wait 24 hours since my last save upload to the cloud, to see the online saves?

KCCO!

EDIT: Oh and one more thing, I could not see any saves yet in the Online Storage part of the Saves section of my new PS3 Super Slim even though I was already logged into my main account. I guess I have to wait 24 hours since my last save upload to the cloud, to see the online saves?
    That's quite odd. I didn't have this issue when I got my new super slim. I managed to access all saves right away, to my knowledge.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanchan View Post
    That's quite odd. I didn't have this issue when I got my new super slim. I managed to access all saves right away, to my knowledge.
    This issue fixed itself. It seems that at that time, the PSN was undergoing a bit of maintenance, hence I could not access the saves in the Online Storage yet. Now, things are fine. *thumbsup*

Lvl 6 - Silver

having recently bought the white super slim and transfered all my data I would say from my experience the easiest way is to transfer files to a flash drive then to the new ps3 and the copy protected files upload to the cloud. DONT forget to deactivate your account on your old ps3 if you are going to get rid of it and yes you can redownload any games you have purchased and as long as you have synced your trophies on your old ps3 you will be able to continue your trophy lists on the new ps3

Lvl 6 - Silver

This issue fixed itself. It seems that at that time, the PSN was undergoing a bit of maintenance, hence I could not access the saves in the Online Storage yet. Now, things are fine. *thumbsup*
    when you use the cloud you have a wait period I think its 24 hours before you are able to retrieve your files from the cloud

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseclown View Post
    when you use the cloud you have a wait period I think its 24 hours before you are able to retrieve your files from the cloud
    You can only download each individual save once every 24 hours. That's the only restriction. You can download as many saves as you want, whenever you want.