Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Atlus at risk, parent company bankrupt

This is a discussion on Atlus at risk, parent company bankrupt within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Atlus at risk after parent company announces bankruptcy | Polygon Atlus is at risk of sale or restructure following today's ...

INTJ

Atlus at risk, parent company bankrupt

Atlus at risk after parent company announces bankruptcy | Polygon

Atlus is at risk of sale or restructure following today's announcement that parent company Index has filed for civil rehabilitation proceedings as it faces bankruptcy.

According to a report from CNET, Index owes debts of 24.5 billion roughly $224 million and the company's president Ochiai Yoshimi has hinted at his resignation.

Index Corporation states that its previous attempt to acquire businesses targeted at both domestic and international interests did not work as planned, while overseas acquisitions was particularly unsuccessful in creating the necessary increase in revenue to justify the purchase.

Kiwi Defender

Hopefully Atlus doesn't go under nor is bought by some shitty publisher (Activision or EA). Then again, they screwed up the Souls series and I've never been a SMT fan, so I shouldn't really care much about it.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Hopefully Atlus doesn't go under nor is bought by some shitty publisher (Activision or EA). Then again, they screwed up the Souls series and I've never been a SMT fan, so I shouldn't really care much about it.
    best case scenario if sold is probably ending up at nintendo. Creative freedom to do whatever they want still (on nintendo platforms) and nintendo will finally be able to add mature games to it's portfolio that doesn't have the words "Eternal darkness" and "Bayonetta" in it.

problem is the buttdevistation from fans would be the equivalent of nuking a orphanage.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I hope either Sony or Nintendo pick it up. This sucks was really looking forward to P5.

Negator

Well, fuck.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I personally have always wondered how Atlus has stayed afloat so long, particularly when the rest of the Japanese third party industry has been struggling mightily, when they make so many poor, niche, and unusual titles. I personally haven't ever been a big fan of Atlus' work aside from the Shin Megami Tensei titles and have often saw the Atlus publishing logo as a sure sign of mediocre translation and a high chance of shoddy gameplay.

I know a lot of people like Atlus, but I don't know any die hard faithful, and always thought they'd go the way of Working Designs a lot sooner.

I don't wish bad on anybody, but Atlus going under is anything but surprising to me, considering their sales and reputation.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by xAkiRo View Post
    I hope either Sony or Nintendo pick it up.
    If Nintendo will pick it up then the Persona franchise won't be a PS exclusive anymore...

Lord of all Goat-Men

It's thanks to Atlus that the West saw releases of the Persona games, Demon's Souls, Catherine, and, God-willing, Dragon's Crown. I hope they manage to stay afloat, lest they go the way of THQ.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by stefanovich777 View Post
    If Nintendo will pick it up then the Persona franchise won't be a PS exclusive anymore...
    Pro tip persona isn't a Sony exclusive IP since p4a.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I personally have always wondered how Atlus has stayed afloat so long, particularly when the rest of the Japanese third party industry has been struggling mightily, when they make so many poor, niche, and unusual titles. I personally haven't ever been a big fan of Atlus' work aside from the Shin Megami Tensei titles and have often saw the Atlus publishing logo as a sure sign of mediocre translation and a high chance of shoddy gameplay.

I know a lot of people like Atlus, but I don't know any die hard faithful, and always thought they'd go the way of Working Designs a lot sooner.

I don't wish bad on anybody, but Atlus going under is anything but surprising to me, considering their sales and reputation.

Atlus tries to help indie gamers outside their main works like persona and stuff.

it's why you see atlus publishing stuff like rock of ages.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    best case scenario if sold is probably ending up at nintendo. Creative freedom to do whatever they want still (on nintendo platforms) and nintendo will finally be able to add mature games to it's portfolio that doesn't have the words "Eternal darkness" and "Bayonetta" in it.

problem is the buttdevistation from fans would be the equivalent of nuking a orphanage.
    Nintendo first party titles have the creative freedom of writers for Michael Bay films.

Now Nintendo isn't as bad as Activision, but they have had many of the same issues in regards to knee-capping budgets of "non-franchise" titles and have been known to drive first-party devs to focus on the perceived wants of their core customer.

The best case scenario for them is actually to be picked up by a venture capitalist or some other capital company that is looking to get into games for the love of games and/or some other entity that recognizes the value and potential of their IP (so they can get to a point like where Insomniac is in).

Being bought out by any of the 3 major console platform companies (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft) or any of the "Big-4" publishers (Activision, EA, Capcom, Ubisoft) would be a big loss for them.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Nintendo first party titles have the creative freedom of writers for Michael Bay films.
    because it's what the people that make the games want to do.

it's why nintendo has been pushing out more new ips lately. denpa men (which got a sequel from apparently being successful), Pushmo (got a sequel), sakura samurai, etc.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Bob 'n' Becca

Shite, man. I mean, shite! I've never played any of the games they've published, aside from Demon's Souls, but I used to be curious about Persona, and I may even play Golden whenever my friend gives my Vita back since he bought it the game.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    The best case scenario for them is actually to be picked up by a venture capitalist or some other capital company that is looking to get into games for the love of games and/or some other entity that recognizes the value and potential of their IP (so they can get to a point like where Insomniac is in).
    That sadly falls on the far-fetched side of the universal spectrum, I'd say. I belive the best case scenario would actually be to have Square acquire them, but that'd probably bring a quite a few cons as well.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Negator

I belive the best case scenario would actually be to have Square acquire them, but that'd probably bring a quite a few cons as well.
    It's a sad day when Squeenix is your savior.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by leatherface000 View Post
    If Jesus was a gamer, this man would be him lol btw this video has nothing to do with the OP

Anyway sucks Altus is a sinking ship, I mostly knew them for Catherine
    you think they will be a crazy 80% off sale for there titles?
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    you think they will be a crazy 80% off sale for there titles?
    Loooooool.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Can't say I entirely disagree, but at least, as publishers, they've been doing a good job.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 6 - Silver

Its been a long time coming, I mean they almost died in 2010 before Index took them over, and it was only the success of Demon Souls that saved them.

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    To keep at what they do now it would have to be Square Enix or a venture capitalist, though Square Enix isn't exactly doing well!

I don't think Nintendo or Sony would do as bad as some though.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

I want to see 3D Dot Game Heroes 2. So hopefully SONY buys them out and I'll be happy.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Loooooool.

No.

You sir, have shattered my dreams
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast