How Do Multiplayers Die?

This is a discussion on How Do Multiplayers Die? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So there might be a thread like this, i was just too lazy to check Anyway, I was just curious ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

How Do Multiplayers Die?

So there might be a thread like this, i was just too lazy to check

Anyway, I was just curious on how multiplayers die off. You would think that as the game became older and older, the price would go down, enticing more people to buy it. I can understand if the game didnt sell well at all. I can also understand franchise games like Call of Duty. When I first bought [email protected] there were about 9000 daily people online. now theres barely 1000. People wanna play the newest game of the franchise, but you would think that new players would pick up the older ones because theyre so cheap, and also that fans of the game wouldnt abandon it just because its not the newest in the franchise.
    Also, why do multiplayer serves get closed? Sports games excluded here. The servers for Resistance: Fall of Man are still active, yet i never found 1 other player in the 20 minutes of player finding. yet servers for a much more recent and popular game Army of Two: The 40th Day are closed, hence the game is unplatinumable. You would think that since Devil's Cartel was about to come out (at the time) that people who hadnt played The 40th Day would go out and buy it so they would be ready for The Devil's Cartel.

I dont know, maybe im looking at it the wrong way. Anway, thoughts on closing servers, thoughts on how multiplayers die off, thoughts on player logic when choosing a multiplayer game to play?

Lvl 7 - Gold

Activision doesn't take care of their old games, since they have new one coming out every year, so theres a lot of hackers and moders in a great MP game that is World at War, and that makes it unplayable. I wouldn't mind playing that game, but I want to play it with normal people.
    Awesome Sig by ERICVOLTAGE

PRO Member

Franchises seems to be the biggest reason, no one wants to play an old game when there is a new one out, I think that is just human nature.

Also probably because people are getting sick of Multiplayer since it isn't really a new thing anymore and most of it is just crap.
    Last edited by tuvuu48-; 07-03-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Signature made by PixieOfDarkness | GDT bar by djunglist

Korean Girl Group Groupie

The inability to use a LAN connection to play locally has murdered multiplayer. The reason this whole booming success (much to the detriment of many people who, well, hate other people) of multiplayer becoming the norm happened because of local co-op.

No game should ever be made so that you can't plat it, and I hope some day in the future they allow local hosts, and LAN to make a comeback. It's not likely, because it doesn't make developers money and that's pretty much what is needed to keep this whole boat afloat.

BTW, most games online multiplayer never even sniffs at 1,000 members online, so it's not exactly dead (or even on life support) at those numbers.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

#cutformesa

Think of the number of games that you have stopped playing and moved onto newer and sometimes better games. Now think of how that happened to thousands more who used to play the same game online. People simply just move on to other things hence removing one more player from active duty online.

Rubicant mentioned that LAN is a major factor in multiplayer which I believe is true to an extent but I feel that was more centred to PC gamers rather than console. For console I think the death of local offline co-op/mp is a bigger issue. In PS2 games most if not all racing games were local mp, something that my siblings and friends all enjoyed whenever we'd pile into each other's houses. Lately though it's become increasingly difficult to find a racing game that features offline local games with more than one player. I'm just using racing games as an example because I find it's most evident in them but no doubt local offline mp is declining across other genres as well. Local MP seems to be limited to sports games and sometimes FPS games and I'm really not happy about that.

Such is life though, trends come and go and if you're left behind hanging onto the relics of yesteryear then that's where you'll stay. Companies don't have much more in mind other than selling units these days and they don't see offline mp as an effective way to make money as they can make people purchase two copies of a game rather than one for when people want to play together.

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

The One and Only

When many people don't play a game multiplayer anymore, there's no way to play with others if you can't get in a match with others. I don't think age has much to do with it, I think it's more about how successful a game becomes on that aspect. For example, Burnout Paradise was 4 years old last time I played, and the multiplayer was still somewhat active, and MAG, which was two years old last I played, was dying out.

I agree with the points Rubicant and 133 mentioned too.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 9 - Gold

also, as a side note, Medal of Honor: Warfighter just came out in October. yet there is only 500 to 600 players online. thats too new a game and you cant chalk that one up to newer franchise releases. whats up with that one?

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by jaws-ate View Post
    also, as a side note, Medal of Honor: Warfighter just came out in October. yet there is only 500 to 600 players online. thats too new a game and you cant chalk that one up to newer franchise releases. whats up with that one?
    Quite simply people have lost interest and moved on. The game didn't stand the test of time and as a result its online presence is declining

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

The One and Only

That game doesn't sounds like it's very successful then. Like I said, age doesn't have much to do with it, afterall age is only a number.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 8 - Gold

Its simple, the game is garbage. I told my friend not to buy it because its a waste of money. Matter of fact, 50% of people that bought it got it for one reason: Early Beta to BF4. And guess what?? wheres the Beta? LOL. Double penetrated.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by M40A3 View Post
    Matter of fact, 50% of people that bought it got it for one reason: Early Beta to BF4. And guess what?? wheres the Beta?
    i got MoH:WF about 3 weeks after it came out as an early birthday present. never was able to get the BF4 Beta. pissed me off...

and i got a new question about a game...
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    fantastic game, fantastic franchise, etc etc.
    multiplayer isnt dead but its seriously waning. when i first got the Uncharted Double Pack, Un2 had about 19,300ish players online. now its running about 6,000 to 8,000. hell even Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception's multiplayer is waning seriously, took me a good few minutes to find a lobby.
    very popular games selling a hell of a lot of copies, declining multiplayer. maybe multiplayer's just too common nowadays that there are too many multiplayer games to play...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

maybe multiplayer's just too common nowadays that there are too many multiplayer games to play...
    Bingo. Almost every new release has some kind of multiplayer element, necessary or not. There are too many titles and not enough hours in the day. It's hard enough to juggle work/school & family/spouse/personal life as it is, and if gaming is a hobby that you like to devote even a sliver of time too, you are probably like me with a huge backlog queue. If you ever want to get through it, you can't devote too long to any one specific title. If you are a trophy hunter, you do the tasks necessary to net the trophies and (likely) move on to the next thing.

Lvl 9 - Gold

maybe multiplayer's just too common nowadays that there are too many multiplayer games to play...
    This is the main reason why I'm starting to take a step back from MP-heavy games as of next year. I'm not getting any younger, and as I get older, I'll have less free time on my hands with which I can play games, so devoting many hours to online trophies is going to become increasingly difficult, if for no other reason than, as people have stated in this thread, many online communities are quickly dwindling as people move on to the next big game. It's not such a big problem if a game allows you to boost most of its MP trophies privately (GTA IV, Sniper GW2, Tomb Raider, etc), but if you wait a year or two before buying a game, you could struggle to find enough players to get public matches going.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDome13
    If you are a trophy hunter, you do the tasks necessary to net the trophies and (likely) move on to the next thing.
    Exactly. This is probably the main reason why so many games' online communities are suffering. People just want to collect as many trophies from as many games as they can, and they don't see the point in continuing to play a game after they get all its trophies/achievements. Gone are the days when people would keep playing a game because it was fun. Like it or not, trophies and achievements have changed the way that countless gamers play their games, and as long as they exist, gaming will never again be what it used to be.