Ubisoft is turning into Activision: Won't start on a new IP unless it has franchise potential

This is a discussion on Ubisoft is turning into Activision: Won't start on a new IP unless it has franchise potential within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Ubisoft’s senior vice president of sales and marketing Tony Key has stated that unless the publisher sees potential in a ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Ubisoft is turning into Activision: Won't start on a new IP unless it has franchise potential

Ubisoft’s senior vice president of sales and marketing Tony Key has stated that unless the publisher sees potential in a game for a franchise it simply won’t make it.

Key revealed to alistdaily that it is simply too expensive to just ”fire and forget.” When discussing Watch Dogs he stated that the plan is to ”absolutely” turn the game into a larger franchise. “That’s what all our games are about; we won’t even start if we don’t think we can build a franchise out of it,” he said.

The publisher is happy with Watch Dogs so far, but Key added that ”until we’re the biggest game of the year we’re not going to be satisfied.”
    source: Ubisoft Won’t Start on a New IP Unless it Has Franchise Potential | EGMNOW

They are becoming like Activision by milking series till they are dead. I'm predicting atleast 5 Watch Dogs games probably released annually in the future and turning the way that Assassin's Creed has become.

Forget I Was Ever Here

5 games to a franchise annually take some risks damn this one of the many reasons indie games are becoming so big besides the price tag

It is time for me to go underground

The Deathly Rhythm

Ubisoft, BRING OUT BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2.....NOW!
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

I make lego out of you!

cod is overrated! assassin's creed is the shit! & I prefer them to milk it more
    Making plat cards

Lvl 8 - Gold

If it goes the way of AC3 and beyond, I'll stop buying them.

PRO Member

I'm really excited about Watch Dogs... and this could be pretty good if only they didn't release them every year. Probably do a rotation between them like this year Assassins Creed next Watch Dogs, etc... however I highly doubt that will happen with AC though...

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Death to zombies!!

So Watch Dogs 2 confirmed

Sig by djunglist
    Platboy bar by Hitmon133

My checklist
    Stu's pot of shinies

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by stupot00 View Post
    So Watch Dogs 2 confirmed
    And 3, 4, 5....

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by parkerdip View Post
    source: Ubisoft Won’t Start on a New IP Unless it Has Franchise Potential | EGMNOW

They are becoming like Activision by milking series till they are dead and milking it some more. I'm predicting atleast 5 Watch Dogs games probably released annually in the future and turning the way that Assassin's Creed has become.
    There, fixed it for you

PRO Member

Activision doesn't create anything. They buy out the studio that does, and run it into the ground. And unlike Activision, Ubisoft actually makes decent titles for the most part, where Activision hasn't made a single one in years.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 9 - Gold

Well, I'll do the same thing as I did with AC, then... I'll buy the games as long as they seem like they are worth it to me. Once I feel like the market is being flooded and I don't care about it anymore, then I'll stop buying them. No big deal, in my opinion.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Name a game developer who doesnt create a new ip in hopes that it becomes a franchise,better yet name me a gamer who plays a new ip that he thoroughly enjoys and says they hope there wont be a sequel.

Buy my book, Alteration

Eventually people will get bored. I've already stopped caring about Assassin's Creed, I don't want them to make me stop caring about Rayman, who's had some stellar adventures lately.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 5 - Silver

This is a no brainer quote. Why would a company want to make a game that didn't have potential to spawn sequels? Normally games that don't become franchises are given poor reviews and bad sales, and nobody wants that.

This quote does not mean that Ubisoft will release games annually a la Assassin's Creed, anyone who says that this quote confirms yearly releases is reading too far into it. Honestly though, I would rather have Ubisoft plan on franchises before the release of a game than planning on one game, having demand for a sequel, and then having to retcon something for it to fit in a story.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'm all for sequels in games if they are good enough. I have every Assassin's Creed game. It's just when the release too many in short space of time that it kills it off

I make lego out of you!

Quote Originally Posted by parkerdip View Post
    I'm all for sequels in games if they are good enough. I have every Assassin's Creed game. It's just when the release too many in short space of time that it kills it off
    I totally understand there :] assassin's creed 3 has not even been out very long and already there's IV LOL
    Making plat cards

Local Drunk

At the end of the day they're out to make money so it does make sense for them to want make games that have franchise potential. Hopefully they just stop the yearly release thing.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 6 - Silver

Their hardly turning into Activision, he's just saying the company no longer wants to invest in IP's where they will only get one release because otherwise its far too expensive. Ubisoft saving money improves their profits but it does also keep the cost of gaming down for us, the gamers.

And just because they want franchises it doesn't mean all their games are going to have 6-7 iterations, I think he says they were planning a trilogy for Watch Dogs or something. Ubisoft is probably the best third party publisher out there today, with a lot more diversity and success than most others.

Rangers F.C

Franchises are fine with me, its just when the developers do one each year it sucks, Fifa = sucks, AC = sucks . If the proper time is put into them, they are great, Fallout, Demons, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect and many more get it right .

I think it all depends what you prefer, a quick continuation of a story like AC that suffers from little to no changes, or a full blown new game, like the difference from Oblivion to Skyrim or somewhere in the middle like Demons Souls to Dark Souls .

The choice for me is an easy one, never take the quick option, people complain about games taking too long in development but try and compare any AC title rushed out every year, to a GTA title, that takes years and years of development .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge