Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Do you miss cheat codes?

This is a discussion on Do you miss cheat codes? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; ohhhh i remembered the Ultimate MK when i used codes to unlock Fatalities screen what a days...

Lvl 4 - Silver

ohhhh i remembered the Ultimate MK when i used codes to unlock Fatalities screen what a days

Visit my trophy checklist
    Forum Version

Lvl 9 - Gold

Cheats could be fun for certain games, like the GTA series - once I'd finished the game's story, I could just enter the cheat for a max Wanted level and then just have fun trying to lose the heat and stay alive as long as possible.

They could add to a game's fun factor and replayability value, but I rarely, if ever, used them to actually help myself complete a game. Nowadays, many cheats that are found within games actually disable trophies and even the ability to save while the cheat is active, so using them now is just pointless.

I make my own mayo!

Even with that code passing CONTRA is no cakewalk...I remember beating the game regularly when I was 8...I tried this summer with a friend and we both died on stage 3....
    Quote Originally Posted by FancyJesse View Post
    Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A START

guess this site doesn't have codes.
    xD

Avi by TheGeneral09 Bar n Sig by Athena the Great PlatBar by In2

Retired

Yes, I miss all the cheat codes, they were awesome, not considered cheating because the developers actually put it in the game for us to find, imagine if the PS3 just got announced! There would be more cheat codes (I think) Nowadays, game developers spend too much time on graphics, back then graphics were nothing, all that mattered was gameplay.

PRO Member

I had totaly forgotting about cheat codes until now.
    It seems as we progress in age our gaming skills have increased so that we dont need to cheat.
    Or its the fact that games are too easy these days and don't warrant cheat codes being added in.
    Or maybe again I'm just gettign old

A plat a month!

I remember using the Konami code in Contra to get infinite lives. But thats all I remember using a cheat code.

Local Drunk

Don't really miss them only ever used them playing GTA games and maybe Tony Hawk games.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

what do you need cheat codes for when you have the whole internet at your disposal? LOL, its pretty much the same when you can go online and find a walkthrough/trophy guide...

but when i played Nintendo in the 80's there was a "Nintendo Hotline" that you could call where people were standing by ready to answer questions about whatever Nintendo game you were playing, lol... my mom use to call when she couldn't figure out how to beat zelda.

In my opinion having the internet is basically the same as having cheat codes.

missing since 1996

I loved using them to make peoples heads bigger god mode added some fun

Thanks dsluckay for the Awesome sig and avatar

Prayer Warrior

to me cheat codes represent the golden age of gaming. there were so many things that cheat codes could do that often get lost in translation with today's games. i do miss them and wish they were brought back to life.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    to me cheat codes represent the golden age of gaming. there were so many things that cheat codes could do that often get lost in translation with today's games. i do miss them and wish they were brought back to life.
    I agree. There were a lot of games back during the NES/SNES era that almost required you to use them in order to beat the game but yet we replayed it countless times. Jump forward 15 years and nowadays a lot of people only play games for the achievements and trophies, staying away from time consuming and difficult titles.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

PRO Member

i don't really miss them...but then again the only games i ever played and actually used the codes in were the ratchet and clank games and GTA series...and both series still support cheats..although i do miss the fun codes from GTA ( like flying cars, cars on water, stuff like that )

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

PRO Member

Who remembers the code for Mike Tyson's punch out to get you right to Tyson. 0073735963. I also used the contra code plenty of times.

I played that game so many times with the 30 lives that I could beat it with the normal lives. I basically had the game memorized.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

PRO Member

I enjoyed the "gravity off" code for tony hawk 2 (I think it was 2). Massive tricks...wheeeee.

And yes, I have nostalgia for the konami code and even the gameshark loading dock.

With trophies and online now, I don't miss cheat codes but it would be nice to have an autistic mode or something where you could cheat away to your heart's content and return to the world as you please.

Ice Cream Firefighter

the only cheats I ever used was in gta where you could trn the ppl against each other & make them all beach bums lazing around on the footpaths trying to get tanned when all of a sudden a old lady rocks up with a rocket launcher & really gives them a tan

But no I dont miss cheats if anything im glad they are gone

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I don't miss cheats. I loved them back then though. In fact, if a game had cheats it was a big + for me. There wasn't a single game that I hadn't searched cheats for it... But I was a kid.

Why I don't miss them? Because I'm a different gamer now. I want to play the game how it is meant to be played. I want to enjoy the story till the last second. If cheats enabled me to be an invisible killer or anything, that would destroy the whole point for me. Although, it would be nice to be able to enter cheats after the first playthrough, something like Uncharted(where you actually unlock them) to have some extra fun
    Awesome signature made by Athena

On a Paradise

I only used cheats on GTA: San Andreas (the full life and 250,000$ one o.o)
    But I use to hate cheat codes, because they simply kill the games imo

Awesome avy & sig made by In2
    Rep him if you like them!

worlds biggest welch fan

I remember using the game genie and typing in random codes to see what happend.

When I was younger I used the contra code alot with my dad, then I took the challenge and beat it with out good times.
    N E S

codes were fun from time when jamming with friends for endless destruction.
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

PRO Member

I don't really miss them to be honest. The only games I ever used them on were the Grand Theft Auto series and that still maintains cheat codes, albeit a little less bizarre than they used to be.

PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

Lvl 5 - Silver

Well i missed those crazy cheats gave everybody giant heads, the more humorous cheats that made the game entertaining.

Don't really miss the other variety of cheats that much
    Annoying PS3T.com members since March 2010

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast