PS3 Slim 120 GB blinking red light

This is a discussion on PS3 Slim 120 GB blinking red light within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The problem started about 2 weeks ago while I'm playing Hitman Absolution. The PS3 turns off with blinking red light. ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

The problem started about 2 weeks ago while I'm playing Hitman Absolution. The PS3 turns off with blinking red light. When i press the power button, the light changes to solid red. At this point I can turn the ps3 back on. Before the PS3 loads the XMB, the PS3 prompts that the file system is corrupted.Then i just proceed with the repair and go on. Now here's what I observed.The PS3 shuts off at the exact same point of the game everytime. I'll use MGS rising as an example. The game works fine during the start of the mission. When I just let Raiden stand still, the game doesn't shut off. But If started attacking the enemies then BAM! PS3 shuts off. And when i try to load the game again, the game shuts off at the exact same point in the game (where I tried to attack the baddies). So what I did was, I tried to format the file system. Tried to restore the filesystem in safe mode, but the same thing happens. The PS3 shuts off at the exact same point in the game. Then I tried to search for expalanation about this problem but I get to know that it could be a faulty HDD. So what I did, I plugged the ps3 hdd to my PC and did a full format on the HDD.( took about 30 mins. This is possible by using Windows command prompt as an admin). After the format I installed the hdd on the ps3 again and have the 4.46 update on my other external usb drive and restored the ps3. I started playng MGS Rising again... SO what happened? In my amazement, It worked! I was able to get past the point where the game shuts off previously, and even got way further in the game. but unfortunately, during the start of the train mission the ps3 shuts off again with blinking red light. Now here's the weird part. I tried to load the game and during the start of the train mission, I didn't move Raiden at all, I just let him stand still on the train for about 15 mins and the ps3 doesn't shut off. But When I tried to move Raiden and start chasing the enemy, the PS3 shuts off on the EXACT same point. Remember, I let the game run without moving raiden lets say for 15 mins and it works fine but when I get to certain point in a game it shuts off, regardless if I waited for 15 mins or not, It shuts off at the exact same point like a dead end.That regardless If you wait for 30 mins or not, the game shuts off at the exact same point. Now I'm going to buy a new HDD and see what happens. Hopefully this will shed light to this annoying PS3 problem.
    BTW. I can watch movies from an external hdd for 4 hours straight and the ps3 doesn't turn off.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Well I tried a working hdd on the PS3 and the problem is not the HDD unfortunately. I think it's the YLOD that's causing this malfunction. I'm gonna send it for repair.