Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Capcom: RE7 Will Return to Survival Horror Roots

This is a discussion on Capcom: RE7 Will Return to Survival Horror Roots within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The next game in the Resident Evil series will return to the game's survival horror roots, Capcom says. The firm ...

Banned

Capcom: RE7 Will Return to Survival Horror Roots

The next game in the Resident Evil series will return to the game's survival horror roots, Capcom says.The firm told MCV it has listened to the negative feedback to last year's Resident Evil 6, which scored a Metacritic of just 67.
    Capcom had hoped to appeal to a wide audience with last October's game by including three different stories that targeted different parts of the Resident Evil fanbase including those that liked creepy survival horror and those that preferred action gameplay.
    But it proved disappointing to fans and critics, and although it went on to sell 5m units worldwide, that was 2m below the company's original sales projections.
    Now Capcom says it has listened to its fans, which have called for the series to return to its classic horror gameplay.
    "We have obviously seen the consumer response and the PR response," former Capcom marketing boss Michael Pattison told MCV.
    "There was some great positives out of that, but it was a mixed bag, as we saw from the review scores. We have got to take that on-board, we can't ignore that, and we have to take that onto the next game when we make the next Resident Evil.
    He added: “With Resident Evil 6 specifically, we probably put too much content in there, there were comments from consumers that said it felt bloated. The Leon missions went down very well, and because we did Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS, there was a cry out for us to focus our attention on survival horror, rather than be too many things to all people. You’ll find where we go next will likely be more targeted at our core fanbase.
    "A lot is said about the saturation of this zombie, post-apocalyptic survival horror. But it is still alive and well. The Last of Us shows a good direction of what the consumers want. Tomb Raider as well, we spoke to R&D and they looked at that and they enjoyed that experience. I think that proves there is still a strong market for that sort of content."
    Source: Capcom: Resident Evil 6 felt bloated, Resident Evil 7 will return to survival horror roots | Games industry news | MCV

KCCO!

I'll believe it when I see it.

Indie Game Developer

Too much Resident Evil. I feel like they put out 4 of them a year, but would you expect anything less from Capcom?
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    ^^This!! I'm a RE fan, but the last few installments left a bad taste in my mouth. Would love for them to pull this off. May just win back some die-hard RE fans with this move.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Does that mean we are going back to Zombies that move at the speed of pond water?

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Yeah, Yeah. Capcom, hush now, go back and actually do it instead of yapping. I'm sure i heard this same spin before Resident Evil 6 too.

PRO Member

While I liked playing RE6,I thought having 4 campaigns was just too much for 1 game.

Lvl 6 - Silver

well i am no RE expert but i think they said the same thing for RE6 when everyone was complaining from Raccoon City i for one am no RE fan always wanted to experience it but my friends kept telling me not too.

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Lvl 8 - Gold

Empty promises. I doubt, they'll ever bring back this franchise to the roots.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverinefangirl View Post
    While I liked playing RE6,I thought having 4 campaigns was just too much for 1 game.
    Agreed. Especially when you are trying to go through the trophies.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by BALLZ View Post
    Does that mean we are going back to Zombies that move at the speed of pond water?
    I certainly hope so, you don't need fast moving and over sized shit to be scary, you also don't need a massive area/map . The first RE was the best and it stayed in the same building, slow zombies are awesome, make them out number you in dark and destroyed areas, with limited ammo, not a shooting gallery .

If you want to inject a bit of speed, use the lickers or Boss battles . Its 2013, use the technology . Have destructible environments, areas filled with gas, so you cant use guns, water and electricity, noise attracts more zombies, areas filled with smoke, so no vision so you have to use NV goggles .

The ways they could make this game great again are endless, I do not believe they can do it though . They will start off with good intentions and then get side tracked . It will end up an longer action filled Leon campaign . In RE6 Leon's campaign was the best of a bad bunch, but it was still poor by RE standards .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

Just look at The Evil Within, being made by the creator of Resident Evil. I think it's very possible.

PRO Member

Can't wait for RE7

Kiwi Defender

How many times have they said something like this before?

Anyway, at this point, they shouldn't focus on releasing new entries and should remake the first 3 games instead. That way they can revive the franchise, return it to its Survival Horror roots and regain some love from all the people they've annoyed in the past 5 years.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

The Deathly Rhythm

Does Capcom even remember the roots of RE?? lol
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Retired TrophyGuide Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by AngeldeLeo View Post
    Can't wait for RE7
    Yeah, but that's only because your sig is bigger than you brain

Fight the Future

All Capcom need to do to return Resident Evil to its roots is create the game they are already planning but make you play it with a potato. In my opinion, one of the only reasons the original Resident Evil games were scary was because one, we were a lot younger and the genre was relatively new and two, because the controls were atrocious. Having a decent control scheme makes creating a truly scary game very hard, again this is just my opinion. People bring up games like Dead Space but those, to me, aren't truly scary they just have things jump out at you. When you have severely limited movement and actually feel vulnerable, then a game has the potential to actually be kinda scary.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    Just look at The Evil Within, being made by the creator of Resident Evil. I think it's very possible.
    Yeah, but the creator of Resident Evil, isn't rolling with Capcom anymore. In other words, it ain't possible.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    ^^^

I'm playing through RE6 now and it's an abomination. I'm not sure if I'll even finish he game.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

RE6 was fun in my opinion, especially when playing co-op with a few friends of mine. So I would not be bothered by whatever new ideas Capcom can come up with for RE7, as long as it is not too scary (I tend to shy away from scary games actually, like Dead Space). ^^
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast