MGSV Demo impressions: "It feels like Splinter Cell."

This is a discussion on MGSV Demo impressions: "It feels like Splinter Cell." within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - The Splinter Cell Effect - IGN Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes seems, above all ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

MGSV Demo impressions: "It feels like Splinter Cell."

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - The Splinter Cell Effect - IGN

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes seems, above all else, safe, despite its subtle but significant changes. The prologue to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which eases players to the main game’s open-world elements, introduces numerous new elements to the franchise, none of which stand out as exceptionally interesting on their own. In unison, one after the other, and in the context of the next Big Boss story, these changes shake up the norm, disrupting expectations with more modern systems. The stealth, action, interrogation, infiltration, and navigation mechanics feel familiar in ways that feel equal parts right and wrong.

When I left the debut gameplay demo of Ground Zeroes, one thought looped in my mind: This is an exceptional Splinter Cell sequel.

Kojima Productions still won’t disclose how, exactly, this prologue chapter factors into the main story. Is it on the same disc? Is Ground Zeroes a digital intro coming ahead of The Phantom Pain? Is it a separate retail product? Series creator Hideo Kojima dodged questions about this expertly, simply repeating, “This is the first part of the Metal Gear Solid V experience.”

You may already be familiar with what makes up Ground Zeroes: A prisoner camp, a boy, and a nighttime infiltration as seen in the trailer above. Paz and Chico -- the children from Peace Walker -- need rescuing, and your sole purpose is to grab and exfil. How that goes down feels decidedly un-Metal Gear.

The disinterested, disarming cadence of Kiefer Sutherland’s phoned-in performance flattens the roguish charm of Big Boss, creating a generic almost-tough guy lead whose gameplay traits draw more from Sam Fisher than Solid Snake. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing -- Kojima wants Phantom Pain to appear to “a global audience,” and the new form and function appear more accessible than Guns of the Patriots’ westernized yet still hardcore systems.

Boss sprints, slides, climbs, and tags enemies like Sam Fisher has since 2009’s Splinter Cell: Conviction. Aggression takes precedence over delicacy, but still plays an important role in slithering through shadows. He’ll hurl enemies from ledges too, but nothing feels more foreign in Ground Zeroes -- and by association, the whole of Metal Gear Solid V -- than the slow-motion executions.

Before a guard enters an alert state, you’ll get a button prompt indicating you’re busted. Hold the left trigger, and you’ll briefly freeze time, giving you the opportunity to pump a couple quiet bullets into an alarmed enemy’s eyeballs. It’s an elegant means of avoiding detection that comes with a Mark and Execute sense of style, but I’m terrified this neuters the importance of evasion. If Boss can simply stroll out in front of someone and guarantee a gnarly, up-close execution, what’s the counter-measure? Kojima emphasized that the demo was on a lower, still-untuned difficulty for the sake of my hands-off presentation, but it’s still something that concerns me deeply.

Ground Zeroes is deviating from what’s always made the series special to me. If you’re a Splinter Cell fan, you may be having deja vu. This has “Conviction” written all over it. Yes, it looks fast, and fun, and empowering. But it is absolutely not the Metal Gear you know. Its stealth is more about fluid, forward movement than patience and precision timing. I think it can work, but instinct makes me fear change.
    What caught me off guard most, and what really cemented Metal Gear Solid as something that’s forever different, was regenerating health. Hardcore fans are used to tactical ration recovery, and cherishing the limited boost each food packet imparts on their HP bars. Fleeing from a loud fight -- which appears to rely heavily on lock-on aiming -- brings color back to the screen, indicating a new lease on life.
    Again, this is new for the franchise, the norm for the stealth-action genre, and totally weird to watch.

Bye, bye MGS, hello generic shooter geared towards casuals?

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Hmmm, sounds troubling yet all these changes feel a bit off, too obviously in your face. Kojima is hiding something behind all this.

Also, the previewer just comes across as a whiny fanboy when he spews about Kiefer Sutherland.

PRO Member

Splinter Cell, are you kidding me?. What, he saw the night vision googles and there, feels like SC?. Those games wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for MGS. No disrespect to Splinter Cell, but it's a fact. The thought he probably had was "I wish Splinter Cell was this awesome and I wasn't dumb so I could appreciate it".

Saying Metal Gear feels like Splinter Cell is like saying an original movie feels like it's remake. It makes no sense.

But on top of that what is this, 2003?. I thought comparisons were over.

The person who wrote is clearly stupid and doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. There are many reviews out there and some of them are actually good, reading this just made me angry and waste my time (no offense Silent Assassin, as always thanks for posting).

This is why I refuse to read reviews.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Several sites reported on this and this one had the most negative review, but it's the first I ran into.

PRO Member

The only reasonable explanation for saying Splinter Cell is because he's never played a MGS game before, and if you've never played MGS before how do hell do you get invited to something this special?. It kills me when people don't appreciate how lucky they are, this dude should be thanking God or Kojima (they're pretty much the same) for the opportunity he's had.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    Splinter Cell, are you kidding me?. What, he saw the night vision googles and there, feels like SC?. Those games wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for MGS. No disrespect to Splinter Cell, but it's a fact. The thought he probably had was "I wish Splinter Cell was this awesome and I wasn't dumb so I could appreciate it".

Saying Metal Gear feels like Splinter Cell is like saying an original movie feels like it's remake. It makes no sense.

But on top of that what is this, 2003?. I thought comparisons were over.

The person who wrote is clearly stupid and doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. There are many reviews out there and some of them are actually good, reading this just made me angry and waste my time (no offense Silent Assassin, as always thanks for posting).

This is why I refuse to read reviews.
    You whine about it almost as if you didn't read it! He's not being overlly negative as you claim him is, and comparisons will never be a thing of the past and will always be brought up.

Regardless of Splinter Cell being created thanks to MGS, I'd say his whining has some truth behind it, given the game sounds much more action-oriented than it ever did (which is a staple of the Splinter Cell franchise). The whole slow-motion thing sounds so anti-MGS, not to mention the regenerating health system, so I can understand why this guy thinks the game feels out of place and more in line with something Splinter Cell related. Even if one was inspired thanks to the other, they both still play relatively different, so the fact that one of them decides to implement some stuff the other one always did (in this case, MGS implementing thigns Splinter Cell has used since the beginning), does make sense, and it's a legit complain.

Don't get your jimmies rustled so easily and think things through before going bananas next time lol.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    You whine about it almost as if you didn't read it! He's not being overlly negative as you claim him is, and comparisons will never be a thing of the past and will always be brought up.

Regardless of Splinter Cell being created thanks to MGS, I'd say his whining has some truth behind it, given the game sounds much more action-oriented than it ever did (which is a staple of the Splinter Cell franchise). The whole slow-motion thing sounds so anti-MGS, not to mention the regenerating health system, so I can understand why this guy thinks the game feels out of place and more in line with something Splinter Cell related. Even if one was inspired thanks to the other, they both still play relatively different, so the fact that one of them decides to implement some stuff the other one always did (in this case, MGS implementing thigns Splinter Cell has used since the beginning), does make sense, and it's a legit complain.

Don't get your jimmies rustled so easily and think things through before going bananas next time lol.

It's just an outrageous thing to say MG feels like SC when it's the other way around. That statement alone makes me go mad and a rant is justified. Like I said it's like saying Dragon Ball feels like Naruto or something like that, it's pure ignorance.

I bet he doesn't like bacon either.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    It's just an outrageous thing to say MG feels like SC when it's the other way around. That statement alone makes me go mad and a rant is justified. Like I said it's like saying Dragon Ball feels like Naruto or something like that, it's pure ignorance.

I bet he doesn't like bacon either.

He doesn't like Bacon??!!?? What a bastard! His opinion is filth!