Compromised PSN info used in mass access attempt

This is a discussion on Compromised PSN info used in mass access attempt within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; In a post on the Official PlayStation Blog tonight, the Chief Information Security Officer for Sony Phillip Reitinger informed users ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Compromised PSN info used in mass access attempt

In a post on the Official PlayStation Blog tonight, the Chief Information Security Officer for Sony Phillip Reitinger informed users that a major, concerted wave of sign-in attempts were made using login and password information "obtained from one or more compromised lists from other companies, sites or other sources." Sony has, in their words, "taken steps to mitigate this activity." Reitenger specified that credit card information had not been compromised.

Accounts affected by the mass access attempt have received prompts via email to reset their passwords. Sony Online Entertainment accounts affected have also been provisionally disabled until their passwords are changed.
    Source: Joystiq

I didn't get any e-mail for password change nor did my account get disabled.
    Last edited by Eddie; 10-12-2011 at 12:34 AM.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Lvl 9 - Gold

same here maybe tomorrow

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

i have yet to hear anything concerning this
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

member since Oct 2009

So far nothing on my end.

Thanks for the heads up.

The Site Mascot

I'm good, but with my luck I'll get an e-mail.

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.

Lvl 6 - Silver

hope everything turns out fine for me
    betray someone to understand my reason (everyone should take a hear)

Plats
    YouTube

An old-fashioned cowboy

I had quite a scare right now. I checked my email and saw that my most recent email was from Sony. I got scared and assumed the worst.... until I remembered that i bought a few avatars a few hours ago and that email I got was simply a confirmation email. Thats a load of my mind.

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

It was only in the EU. Not US or Asia. And it was a rather small amount of accounts that were compromised - nothing to really worry about.

Basically, someone was trying to log in to multiple accounts - accounts taken from a database, not sure where. Essentially they were playing mix-n-match, trying to get into these accounts.

The ones that were detected, were then locked and had e-mails sent to them asking for a password reset.

I think there were around 93,000 accounts total - and it was only a portion of those that were affected.
    Last edited by Fox; 10-12-2011 at 02:38 AM.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Lvl 9 - Gold

I haven't heard anything from them yet, but I will soon, once I redeem this $50 card I just bought. Gots me some new DLC and TV Shows on the store to buy tonight.
    And since I changed my password to hex format, I highly doubt whatever info was obtained during the hacking would be able to get anons into my account successfully.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Ah no worries then. I don't have credit card info on my account, not after the incident ages ago. : P

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    And since I changed my password to hex format, I highly doubt whatever info was obtained during the hacking would be able to get anons into my account successfully.
    Changed your password to hex format?

Unless you are talking about something that you specifically had setup with Sony... You are aware that HEX is still ASCII right? A password like "056AFCE7D8B" (even if it has something like 0x or 0h out front) is still just as secure as 017DERP1L2U and is less secure than 0$7DeRp1L&u
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.