Why Do Game Systems Freeze?

This is a discussion on Why Do Game Systems Freeze? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Just outta curiosity, why do game systems freeze, more specifically PS3 systems freeze? I know sometimes its the game that ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Why Do Game Systems Freeze?

Just outta curiosity, why do game systems freeze, more specifically PS3 systems freeze? I know sometimes its the game that cause the system to freeze (yeah, im talking to you Dead Island). But what else causes a system to freeze? Is a certain amount of stuff that the game is doing that causes the system to freeze?

PRO Member

Too hot, disc scratched, drive faulty/worn down
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by 00Highway00 View Post
    ^ This.

If it's not a software issue, then it's gonna be a hardware issue.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

Because I'm playing Skyrim! Games like Skyrim are the reason why new consoles should support backwards compatability. Instead I'm supposed to believe that my limited internet bandwidth will one day allow me to stream play more seamless than having the disk does today! B#@% S^*%

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by 00Highway00 View Post
    as much as this is true what he might be getting at is why does CERTAIN games freeze the system and not others, also not just for the 1 person when certain games do it for a lot of ppl. Midnight LA was a bad 1 that only froze the system when doing 1 task yet the whole game was fine (the task was rate other ppls cars online)

Lvl 9 - Gold

i bought my PS3 on 1/7/2012, and the $70 router on 1/13/2012. my system tends to freeze more often when playing games like Dead Island, Borderlands, Saints Row the Third, Amry of Two: The 40th Day, Battlefield 3, Black Ops 2 & Dead Nation. all are disc games except Dead Nation, and all discs are scratch free. i check the heat from the system when it freezes, yet it seems pretty chilled. i check for corrupted data but 95% of the time the system says there is none. and granted these freezes arent often enough to send it to Sony, but i was just curious as to why it happens

Lvl 5 - Silver

I don't know the exact causes (and I'd like to know) but it might be related to loading a lot of data. I experienced crashes in Oblivion (big landscapes with a lot of gras, flowers, bushes, trees), Skyrim (the same) and Dungeon Defenders (when fighting 9k monsters or more). Usually those games can easily have frame rate drops when they're close to crashing if you execute expensive actions (forcing to load the game world quicker by running in Oblivion/Skyrim), firing an effective weapon in Dungeon Defenders killing a lot of monsters and putting the screen full of effects.

Anyway I only experienced two categories of games. 1.) Games that have never frozen for me 2.) Games that sametimes freeze or where it more or less easily can be reproduced.
    I never experienced games that froze only once, or twice.

Possibly some games simply load too much data into memory which has to be constantly rendered or calculated keeping the CPU 100% busy and thus causes overheating.

P.S.: I think also Fallout 3 froze on me a few times which is another big world game with plenty of objects to load.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Random possibilities, I dunno.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by i667090375202107 View Post
    Dungeon Defenders (when fighting 9k monsters or more)
    That's a RAM issue the developer didn't take into consideration when porting over from PC...it was fixed later in a patch.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay