An Important Message From Sony's Chief Information Security Officer

This is a discussion on An Important Message From Sony's Chief Information Security Officer within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PlayStation.Blog.Europe : Your daily fix of PlayStation news from across the SCEE region We want to let you know that ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

An Important Message From Sony's Chief Information Security Officer

PlayStation.Blog.Europe : Your daily fix of PlayStation news from across the SCEE region

We want to let you know that we have detected attempts on Sony Entertainment Network, PlayStation Network and Sony Online Entertainment (“Networks”) services to test a massive set of sign-in IDs and passwords against our network database. These attempts appear to include a large amount of data obtained from one or more compromised lists from other companies, sites or other sources. In this case, given that the data tested against our network consisted of sign-in ID-password pairs, and that the overwhelming majority of the pairs resulted in failed matching attempts, it is likely the data came from another source and not from our Networks. We have taken steps to mitigate the activity.

Less than one tenth of one percent (0.1%) of our PSN, SEN and SOE audience may have been affected. There were approximately 93,000 accounts globally (PSN/SEN: approximately 60,000 accounts; SOE: approximately 33,000) where the attempts succeeded in verifying those accounts’ valid sign-in IDs and passwords, and we have temporarily locked these accounts. Only a small fraction of these 93,000 accounts showed additional activity prior to being locked. We are currently reviewing those accounts for unauthorized access, and will provide more updates as we have them. Please note, if you have a credit card associated with your account, your credit card number is not at risk. We will work with any users whom we confirm have had unauthorized purchases made to restore amounts in the PSN/SEN or SOE wallet.

As a preventative measure, we are requiring secure password resets for those PSN/SEN accounts that had both a sign-in ID and password match through this attempt. If you are in the small group of PSN/SEN users who may have been affected, you will receive an email from us at the address associated with your account that will prompt you to reset your password.

Similarly, the SOE accounts that were matched have been temporarily turned off. If you are among the small group of affected SOE customers, you will receive an email from us at the address associated with your account that will advise you on next steps in order to validate your account credentials and have your account turned back on.

We want to take this opportunity to remind our consumers about the increasingly common threat of fraudulent activity online, as well as the importance of having a strong password and having a username/password combination that is not associated with other online services or sites. We encourage you to choose unique, hard-to-guess passwords and always look for unusual activity in your account.

PRO Member

Nice to be informed about it, I'll make sure to check my emails but I doubt I was affected.

PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

PRO Member

Indeed time to keep an extra eye ou my emails for the time being at least.

Lvl 4 - Silver

i don't think my ID like my pass

but really there is many sites required to enter PSN id and password to get the stats .

i don't trust in any website except PS3T

Visit my trophy checklist
    Forum Version

Local Drunk

If they hacked mine they'd get nothing. I don't have a credit card, it's a fake name and address and only thing they'd find out is I'm an Aussie. But anyway it's good of Sony to inform us.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    If they hacked mine they'd get nothing. I don't have a credit card, it's a fake name and address and only thing they'd find out is I'm an Aussie. But anyway it's good of Sony to inform us.
    It's important to realise this is not a Sony security breach or hack, it's an attempt to login with legitimate user:pass details from another source.

This is why it's important not to use the same login details for all of your online identities, particularly when credit cards are involved.

PC users should get their hands on either RoboForm or 1password and generate unique passwords for every site you use. Mac users, stick with 1password, it's the shit.

With any password security software, all you need to remember is the master password to unlock all of your other site passwords so they can be completely random. Just don't use that master password anywhere else and don't forget it!

PRO Member

Thanks for the great tips and heads up!!!!!!!!!!!!some great tips there.

Local Drunk

yeah I know, I don't write any passwords down they're all in my head. My PSN password is unique and you'd have to know me really well to even get close to guessing it.

PRO Member

well atleast they are informing us this time.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 7 - Gold

Wait, so they just guessed Username and Passwords?
    Or did they have them prior? I'm really confused and really worried about my PSN ID.
    Please somebody help, I need to know what's going on.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    lol, if they didn't, they'd only get sued again. And again after that.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by iToxicityHD View Post
    Wait, so they just guessed Username and Passwords?
    Or did they have them prior? I'm really confused and really worried about my PSN ID.
    Please somebody help, I need to know what's going on.
    No, it's not a brute attack "guess", it's a list of known working user:pass combinations from another source, for example Yahoo Mail or Facebook or Hotmail etc.

The problem being that many nubcakes on the web don't use different user:pass combinations for different web sites or services. Therefore, if the login works for Facebook (again, just an example), it'll work for PSN.

Ghost Assassin

They can't get a break can they, anyway thanks for the info.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Nice to know, Thanks.

Lvl 6 - Silver

just hope it does not get too serious
    betray someone to understand my reason (everyone should take a hear)

Plats
    YouTube