Not familiar with inverting the x-axis?

This is a discussion on Not familiar with inverting the x-axis? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey folks! I've recently come across several games in a row that do not allow for the x-axis to be ...

Banned

Not familiar with inverting the x-axis?

Hey folks!

I've recently come across several games in a row that do not allow for the x-axis to be inverted and have ended up having a few discussions on the topic around these very forums. During those discussions, I generally found that there is a large population of gamers that find the idea to be weird or foreign to them.

So, after being trolled and insulted numerous times, I figured the best medicine would be a big ol' batch of education because, during my time on this Earth, I've noticed that a large percentage of dismissive behaviour (like hate and fear) stems from lack of knowledge and misunderstanding regarding whatever the topic at hand may be. Basically, people don't like because people don't know.

During this little early morning time killer (seriously, it's 3:16am and I'm bored stiff), I'm going to attempt to answer a few questions by providing examples for the reasons why many folks are comfortable/used to inverting the x-axis, how our brains are thinking about it and finally, some of the common misconceptions and arguments we frequently come across.

Trolls please be advised that nothing is written in stone and that not all examples given apply to all gamers, for all games ever made, on every console ever made. I can't believe I just wrote that. Ugh. Some people.

The Reason Why

I wish it was simple enough to say, "from only having a single analog stick and using the yellow arrow/"camera" buttons on the Nintendo 64 controllers while playing Goldeneye" but, seeing as how "X-inverters" come in all ages, I'd break it down to adapting to the many different placements of the strafe mechanics in first-person shooter games.

It seems like there are gagillions of games out there and everyone has their own ideas as to which buttons should execute each action. After many years though, it appears as if we've come to a universal understanding that "left stick moves player and right stick moves camera". That's not the issue. The issue is when a game has a strafe action, where they place it in the control scheme and how it either compliments or produces what some would call an "unnatural feeling".

With all of these different companies providing their own definitions of controls, it leads to the huge headache that is; when I press the left stick to the left, does my player rotate to the left, or strafe to the left???

In many different FPS's, it rotates. No biggie right? Well, rotating the view should be something that is for the right stick (view = eyes = camera).

Unfortunately, in other FPS's, it strafes.

This small change from game to game can provide some serious challenges when trying to execute something as simple as walking around a corner. We try to combine strafe and camera rotation to make for a smooth, "arcing" transition. Now, with strafe and rotation being thrown back and forth from game to game, how can we feel comfortable?

The answer is; we take one part of the equation and make it a constant so that, no matter what control scheme we come across, we can anchor ourselves to a familiar feeling. So, what shall we make the constant; strafe/movement or camera/view? Personally, I like to see where I'm going before I get there. You can be a master runner but, if you're blind, well...don't trip or hit a wall. Let's just pick the camera, shall we?

How We See It

Since we're talking about inverting the camera, I want you to picture a television studio camera...

See the stick at the back that directs it? Grab the handle and make the camera point to it's left. Thanks.

Common Statements

- "I can understand inverting Y because, when you look up, you pull your head back and, when you look down, you push your head forward."

Please refer to the picture of the camera and then think about left and right, too.

- "I'm used to inverting Y for flying games."

Something that may not have crossed your mind when you said this is; flying an airplane is almost always designated to the left stick (movement of the player). We're talking about camera/looking/view/aim etc (right stick).

This may sound even more confusing but, many "X inverters" are still completely comfortable having flight controls half inverted or not inverted at all. Can you handle that? One stick has half inverted and the other has both inverted? Flying at high speeds and shooting stuff? Some brains be workin' overtime yo, yaknowutumsayn? lol jk

- "I don't see how anyone can invert X."
    - "Who the hell inverts X?"
    - "This is stupid."

I hope that, with this post, it will cut back on these types of responses because now you at least have a better understanding than what you did before and it wil help you put yourself in someone else's shoes.

Thank you very much for reading!

Negator

Awesome post. Here's a controller for reference:

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 9 - Gold

I do Y invert but not X I used to use X invert on some Pc games but that felt easier to deal with than on a controller for some reason.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    I do Y invert but not X I used to use X invert on some Pc games but that felt easier to deal with than on a controller for some reason.
    I know what you mean.

I remember there was a summer, about 12 or 13 years ago, when I played 2 PC games at a friend's place (Hitman and Max Payne) and I remember swiping the mouse to the right in order to make the camera look left. It was almost like smacking a camera on the arse end and making it swivel. I remember it being weird to set up because it was my first exposure to the terms x and y axes and I didn't know which letter represented which plane so, I would spend some time changing one and then unpausing, playing for a second and then pausing, switching back and then switching the other, unpausing. I was such a nub tard.

Negator

For me, inverted X-axis controls feel natural with third-person perspective games but feels awkward with FPS.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by effdeegee View Post
    ...I've noticed that a large percentage of dismissive behaviour (like hate and fear) stems from lack of knowledge and misunderstanding regarding whatever the topic at hand may be. Basically, people don't like because people don't know.
    I'm familiar with inverting axes, and I have always understood the idea behind it (i.e., your little camera example). It just doesn't feel comfortable to me when gaming. So, I disagree with you that it's a lack of knowledge; it's more a lack of comfort. Unfortunately, when people say "That's stupid" it sounds as if that's based on ignorance.

Banned

Notice how I said "a large percentage" and not "every single person ever"?

There's no reason to take the post as a personal insult and feel the need to defend yourself. You obviously fall into the other portion of the percentage.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'm used to the inversion of the Y-axis in all games... as for the X-axis, i've never touched that settings, and I probably never will either when it comes to flying though, it's the same I believe. Y axis inverted and X axis normal. Though like in BF3 i suck when it comes to flying

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by effdeegee View Post
    Notice how I said "a large percentage" and not "every single person ever"?

There's no reason to take the post as a personal insult and feel the need to defend yourself. You obviously fall into the other portion of the percentage.
    Fool, I wasn't defending myself because I felt offended by your post. I was merely saying I disagree with your assertion. It's my opinion. Perhaps you shouldn't take my post as personal and feel the need to defend yourself. :stare:
    Last edited by Hitman; 09-17-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Banned

Let's try not to resort to name calling, eh? It seems unnecessary in this situation.

(and) You did take it personal. I made a general statement about why some people can be dismissive and you respond with "I'm familiar" and "I have always" and "I disagree" when, clearly, I must not have been talking about you.

(AND) It's funny that, out of the several quotes I provided, the only one you bother to mention, just happens to be a quote of something you said.

I'm trying to provide a service to the community, insight some meaningful conversations and help this website grow for the better. Stop following me around to every thread I post in and badgering me with your ignorance and negativity.

aaand blocked.
    Last edited by effdeegee; 09-17-2013 at 06:54 PM.