Hard Drive stuck in a loop

This is a discussion on Hard Drive stuck in a loop within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; thankfully its not mine lol but, my mate has his PS3 at mine and he's always had HDD issues, for ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Hard Drive stuck in a loop

thankfully its not mine lol

but, my mate has his PS3 at mine and he's always had HDD issues, for the last year or so his HDD has been so slow at copying and installing. for example GTA 5 took me 10 minutes to install, and took him over an hour. this was after we formatted it with a quick format, the PS3 wouldn't let us do a full format without an error.

now with the latest update the PS3 is stuck in a loop of getting to 99% and going nowhere. i read on another forum that buying a hard drive enclosure and doing a full format on a PC might fix it, well we have an enclosure now but what i was wondering was;

1. do i need to use a specific program to format it?

2. is there any way to get the saves off the hard drive before formatting it?

3. will this fix it? lol

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog View Post
    i read on another forum that buying a hard drive enclosure and doing a full format on a PC might fix it, well we have an enclosure now but what i was wondering was
    The enclosure isn't necessary. It's just a safety precaution for clumsy people...or cat owners.

1. do i need to use a specific program to format it?
    Nope. Command prompt in Windows will work just fine. Make sure to run it as administrator.

KillerBug's Home

2. is there any way to get the saves off the hard drive before formatting it?
    If the PS3 wont load, then no. I'm unaware of any PC software to-date that can extract data from a PS3 HDD. Sorry.

3. will this fix it? lol
    It's hard to say, but "your mate" would have done well to rebuild the PS3's database...it may have prevented this.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Nope. Command prompt in Windows will work just fine. Make sure to run it as administrator.
    does that mean actually as 'Administrator' through safe mode or is ok that i'm a computer administrator anyway?

Negator

does that mean actually as 'Administrator' through safe mode or is ok that i'm a computer administrator anyway?
    START > type 'cmd' > RIGHT CLICK ICON > RUN AS "ADMINISTRATOR"

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

looks like his HDD is f*cked, managed to get it up and running with the latest firmware after doing this, but it's still taking an age to install GTA 5 lol, oh well at least he can play it again...till the next firmware update lol