Things you like/dislike about Collectors Editions

This is a discussion on Things you like/dislike about Collectors Editions within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So what do you like about collector's edition of a game you're excited for? What don't you like? Obviously try ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

Things you like/dislike about Collectors Editions

So what do you like about collector's edition of a game you're excited for? What don't you like? Obviously try to be more specific than the price and supply

For me,
    • I enjoy supporting a company and series that I'm interested in.
    • I enjoy the exclusive in-game items that add something to the game, yet don't feel like they're necessary to the core experience.
    • I enjoy the useful real life items, like Cole's backpack from Infamous 2, which I still have and use nearly everyday (it's even weirder that I have a shaved head and ride my bicycle everywhere...even though Cole isn't a bike courier anymore haha).
    • I like getting copies of the soundtrack, incase it turns out to be decent, yet prefer copies that aren't restricted to the PS3 download only.
    • I'm mostly indifferent to art books. They can be beautiful, yet they just usually end up in my recycling bin, or in a box somewhere, depending how 'into them' I am. I prefer if they do come, they come as a bound hardcover book, and not individual slides.
    • I admire unique packaging, like when all the goodies come in something more than just a box. Like Uncharted 3's things came in a reusable chest, Borderland's 2 items came in a reusable loot chest modelled from the in-game one, etc.

Beyond that, I get sort of annoyed by the other things typically included in collector's editions.
    • I'm definitely a minimalist when it comes to owning physical items, so statues really turn me off from investing in a CE. I don't need more useless shit to collect dust on a shelf...haha...and I get annoyed that they're the 'go-to-item' in most CE's.
    • I've never once referred to a printed copy of an in-game map. They should at least make it useful and add collectible markers to it. At least the cloth ones you can turn into a rag or something haha.
    • Silly trinkets that will likely be tossed in a week or so...like Dead Space 2's replica gun. If it was made from metal, and not plastic, it would be a different story, yet that thing was a joke.

So what do you like seeing, or not seeing in CE's?
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 7 - Gold

I personally look for an exclusive code for something only offered (at least at the time) in a collector's edition (though it doesn't happen much), beyond that, I don't really have anything specific that I like in a CE. What I do dislike, however, is things like soundtracks and artbooks, as I don't want to sit and listen to a game soundtrack or flip through a small booklet of concept art.
    In short, there's nothing I'm really particular about, if it looks cool, I'll invest, but if it's just a bunch of crap, I'll save my money for something else.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

metal cases
    actually any case but the original plastic blu ray cases

Lvl 7 - Gold

The only thing I care about with CE games would be codes for DLC. I hate metal tins or oversized cases and have little use for art books and novelty items when it comes to my games.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Roo Commander

I enjoy the statues and the different stuff like UC3's traveller's chest. Don't mind the steelbook cases either.

Artbooks and DLC codes are cool but I wouldn't buy a CE just for them.

Platmate Editor in Chief

Quote Originally Posted by SirWaWa View Post
    metal cases
    actually any case but the original plastic blu ray cases
    I agree with this, I love the ones that come with a Steelbook. If I'm going to pay extra for the Special Edition I would like the game to come in a sexy case instead of the same old plastic case that everyone gets

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I like CE's most of the time - agree that steel cases are always good, but I like the statues. I think CE's are a great way of getting good merchandise related to a game you like. I have a Batman figurine from Asylum and a Kratos figurine from Ascention that look great. Things like that can really tempt me into getting the CE. Provided it's of a decent quality of course.

The bad side? look at Ubisoft, specifically the AC series. there's about 10 different versions, some region specific, none sharing the same stuff and costing up to 120. I guess alot of these things are also subjective - I couldn't give a toss about an extra weapon, those lithographs or the soundtrack (unless it's really good - I'd get a Fallout one) but DLC codes for a side mission or 3 usually gets me.

worlds biggest welch fan

To keep it sealed for life and buy a used copy for playing, looking at you tales of xillia.

even though the statue is pretty sweet, still not sure If ill open the box though.
    SIG BY ME

FFXIII Plat #35 trophy #5,000 goal reached

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I like the exclusive in game content

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I like the extra special items you get and exclusive content

Lvl 6 - Silver

I do not buy many CE's, but sometimes i do when i think the game is really worth it
    and when i do, i really love everything about it and do not mind the extra money.

Like my Skyrim CE, love the dragon and the artbook
    GoW3 CE, just love the Pandora's box in which i keep all my GoW-games

Then i have a CE of the PC-game Anno 1404, which is an actual treasure chest that i adore

ლ(ಠдಠლ)

I could care less about extra content for CEs and think it should be abandoned completely and everyone should have access to the same content. I think locking things out of a game because you didn't pay a premium is a bit unfair.

Personally, I like the physical, tangible items like steelbooks, special packaging, artbooks, maps, guides, trinkets, plush dolls, figurines etc etc, that come with them which makes them really 'collectible'. Not a piece of paper with a code written on it.

timezone: GMT+7 ⌋ // ⌈ blind PSN friend requests are ignored

PRO Member

I love any preorder bonus it just makes me feel awesome supporting my fav companys and building on my collection more.
    Bringing the trophys to YOU whatcha gunna do.

INTJ

not enough cool stuff.

a statue isn't that amazing, it takes up space and gains dust.

give me something really cool like what the splinter cell blacklist collectors did, Has this RC Plane included with it.

GTA V gives me exclusive online cars that only i can get, A Security lock Bank bag, A Los Santos hat, and more cool stuff.

The Assassins Creed IV Has the sin of a Statue included, but it also has a giant flag, a steelbook, and more.

Metal Gear rising has a awesome Electric lamp.

last but not least, EVE Online decade edition is a ton of free stuff for buying the second collectors (EVE online ships/in-game history memorbillia, Dust 514 suits and stuff), and a mystery card for future collectors edition contents.

Titanfall is the next collectors on my list, While it is a statue, it's a giant statue with LED Lights and stuff, Not to mention poster, artbook, and more.

Dare da Musically Strange

I've never bought a collector's edition, but they always look cool. Can't say there's anything about them I would dislike yet.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.14
    My Trophy Checklist.

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 1
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    So what do you like about collector's edition of a game you're excited for? What don't you like? Obviously try to be more specific than the price and supply

For me,
    • I enjoy supporting a company and series that I'm interested in.
    • I enjoy the exclusive in-game items that add something to the game, yet don't feel like they're necessary to the core experience.
    • I enjoy the useful real life items, like Cole's backpack from Infamous 2, which I still have and use nearly everyday (it's even weirder that I have a shaved head and ride my bicycle everywhere...even though Cole isn't a bike courier anymore haha).
    • I like getting copies of the soundtrack, incase it turns out to be decent, yet prefer copies that aren't restricted to the PS3 download only.
    • I'm mostly indifferent to art books. They can be beautiful, yet they just usually end up in my recycling bin, or in a box somewhere, depending how 'into them' I am. I prefer if they do come, they come as a bound hardcover book, and not individual slides.
    • I admire unique packaging, like when all the goodies come in something more than just a box. Like Uncharted 3's things came in a reusable chest, Borderland's 2 items came in a reusable loot chest modelled from the in-game one, etc.
    Beyond that, I get sort of annoyed by the other things typically included in collector's editions.
    • I'm definitely a minimalist when it comes to owning physical items, so statues really turn me off from investing in a CE. I don't need more useless shit to collect dust on a shelf...haha...and I get annoyed that they're the 'go-to-item' in most CE's.
    • I've never once referred to a printed copy of an in-game map. They should at least make it useful and add collectible markers to it. At least the cloth ones you can turn into a rag or something haha.
    • Silly trinkets that will likely be tossed in a week or so...like Dead Space 2's replica gun. If it was made from metal, and not plastic, it would be a different story, yet that thing was a joke.
    So what do you like seeing, or not seeing in CE's?
    I agree with most things, but I do like the physical items.
    JPR