Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Biggest surprise and biggest letdown

This is a discussion on Biggest surprise and biggest letdown within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Name a PS3 game that you did not have high hopes for and only bought it cause it was cheap ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Biggest surprise and biggest letdown

Name a PS3 game that you did not have high hopes for and only bought it cause it was cheap and you turned out loving it and the flip side of that a game you had high hopes for and it turned out to be a huge disappointment.

My games are:

"Create" turned out to be really enjoyable and surprising. I'm glad I grabbed it for 4.99 on boxing day from Rogers Video.

"Grand Theft Auto IV" I bought this game on launch expecting awesome graphics but to me they're above par and I found the game to be a little boring.

"FFXIII" In my point of view the worst FF game ever. Graphics are good but couldn't get into the story and it's a little to linear for an RPG.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Only entry I can remember is recently one Resistance 3.

So. Fucking. Upset.

The special edition steel tin it came in was more beautiful than anything else in the game, even seeing New York covered in snow.

Mr. X

I didn't pick it up for cheap but I had no idea what Costume Quest was and fell in love with it. I downloaded the demo, a long time after it had been out and was hooked instantly.

Biggest let down is easily Final Fantasy XIII. This was one of, if not, THE game I bought a PS3 for and it simply wasn't a Final Fantasy. Yes, it gets good at the end but it's too little too late and it still doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I had had high hopes for prototype, pre ordered it and everything but boy it was a waste of money.

Biggest surprise was prince of persia, got it for $7 at eb and it was really good.
    Avatar by cmgravekeeper | Signature by Wadefan1

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Biggest surprise? Hmm well there is Singularity, which despite borrowing a shedload of stuff from other FPS, managed to bring it's own feel and style to the party but then there is Crysis, which i just finished, i can't get over how much fun it is, i miss shooters like that.

letdown is easy, Fallout 3, i researched it and yet turned out nothing like the game i imagined, could be my vivid imagination though so as a backup i will say Far Cry 2, it made me want to go back and play Fallout 3, i found it a mess.

On a sidenote, when it comes to peoples expectations of GTA IV, i still don't get how anyone expected anything other than what was delivered, sure it isn't perfect but it pisses on so many open world games since and any that match or better it, could not have done so without Rockstar's influence.
    Credit to the awesome ERICVOLTAGE for that. ^

R.I.P Ellie

Biggest Surprise - Terminator

Biggest Letdown - Probably Need for Speed Shift or Hunted: Demon's Forge
    Last edited by ChrisValentine; 10-13-2011 at 09:55 PM.

The Bushiest Pig

Crysis 2 - I thoughtd be better from what people were telling me.

Crysis - Bought it on the PSN expecting it to be like Crysis 2, boy was it well worth the $20.

Mr. X

Quote Originally Posted by soccereric587 View Post
    I had had high hopes for prototype, pre ordered it and everything but boy it was a waste of money.

Biggest surprise was prince of persia, got it for $7 at eb and it was really good.
    Actually this post reminds me. I got so excited for Prototype after playing it at my friends, I bought it and couldn't play much more than about 2 hours of the story before putting it down.

On the other hand I totally dismissed inFAMOUS and got it on the welcome back program. Fantastic game, loads of fun.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

PRO Member

You might be surprised but my surprise was : Batman Arkham Asylum..When played the demo , didnt like it at all..When I finally found it cheap , I got it to see whats all this noise about the challenge rooms and the unique combat system the game has..They were right!!!

Letdown - Only think I can think of is NFS Hot Pursuit..Shift 2 is so much better ..

The One and Only

Biggest Surprise: Tekken 6

Biggest Letdown: Brink

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

дурак

Biggest Surprise: Dead Space

I found it cheap as hell and thought it would be nice for a change. Took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I was hooked.

Biggest Letdown: Killzone 3

I was so hyped about this game, even had the collectors edition pre-ordered. Now while it is still a decent game, it was nothing I thought it was going to be :/
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel

I'm the Oogie Boogie Man

Biggest Surprise: I thought Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions would fail, but it was actually really fun!

Biggest Letdown:[PROTOTYPE]

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!

Prayer Warrior

for me the biggest letdown was Brink. i was so expecting great things from this game and got nothing close to greatness.

biggest surprise is Rage. i wasn't expecting much cause of all the hype and the game didn't look that good to me in the commercials but i rented it anyway cause i was bored this past weekend and man i LOVE this game.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Any EA shooter, well after BFBC2 I gave up on trying to play any EA shooter game. Not a fan of CoD either. Seriously both series are like the same every year. I can enjoy COD to some extent (until bs starts happening) but Medal of Honor plays just like BC2 and BF3....

FF13 was a big let down too.
    Biggest Surprise: Borderlands. Played it at a friends house and we had so much fun, I thought it was going to be pretty bad but I like it.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by gokussjin View Post
    You might be surprised but my surprise was : Batman Arkham Asylum..When played the demo , didnt like it at all..When I finally found it cheap , I got it to see whats all this noise about the challenge rooms and the unique combat system the game has..They were right!!!
    I'm with gokussjin on this one. I wasn't a fan of the demo, thought it was kind of lame, but I eventually borrowed the game from a friend and couldn't believe how great it was.

I'll also go with Just Cause 2 as a surprise for me. I actually really liked the demo, but when I got the game I couldn't get into it. I recently decided to have another go at it and I'm having a blast, don't know what I didn't see in it the first time around.

A letdown is harder for me to say as I always buy games I know I'll like but I might go with GTA IV. It's not that it was a bad game, but after playing San Andreas for hours on end I was expecting a lot from IV and it just didn't seem to deliver.

Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

No Matter What

I had no idea what Shadows of the Damned was, but I saw it in a store and gave it a rent to try it out. I ended up loving it so damn much! It had a good yet corny/funny story, nice shooting mechanics and had a good feel to it. I late found out that Suda 61 & Shinji Mikami worked on it! Also had an amazing soundtrack.

Black Ops was a huge letdown! after MW2 I expected another super fun and addicting game, but I guess 3arch can't make games. It had a mediocre weird story line with the most boring multiplayer ever. Zombies was good, but can't touch W@W. The one good thing was the Bot Zone because it's really fun to have a competition with friends on who can win at raping bots.

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

Huge Gaming Backlog

One game that surprised me was Need for Speed Shift. Have played a few Need for Speed games in the past but always got annoyed about the cop chasing you where ever you went. When Shift came out and I saw that it was purely a track based game I thought I'd give Need for Speed one more go. It ended up being one if my favorite racers.

The one that I had high hopes for was Gran Turismo 5. Have been fan of the GT series but this one was a bit of a let down for me. Was a bit over all the licenses you have to get through to actually play the game and the inclusion of NASCARs made racing boring. I wish the Ps3 had Forza.

No Matter What

Quote Originally Posted by Reiner View Post
    The one that I had high hopes for was Gran Turismo 5. Have been fan of the GT series but this one was a bit of a let down for me. Was a bit over all the licenses you have to get through to actually play the game and the inclusion of NASCARs made racing boring. I wish the Ps3 had Forza.
    My friend had GT 4 for the PS2 and I'm sure you had to unlock licenses to play a lot too and did you actually have to play using the NASCAR cars?

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

Everyone Loves Candy

Surprise - Catherine (Great Game)

Let Down - Black Ops (Yeah I said it. It was a let down to me)
    Hi Mom!

Roo Commander

Biggest surpise: Heavy Rain, thought it was going to be just another game but turned out to be really good
    Biggest letdown: Tekken 6, I thought it would be better than 5 but it just sucked and Dead Rising 2, had high hopes for this but it's shit and really boring.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast