Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Inverted views suck

This is a discussion on Inverted views suck within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s But in shooters you're walking around as a hu-man not an aircraft. We move our head ...

No Matter What

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    But in shooters you're walking around as a hu-man not an aircraft. We move our head up to look up, so the natural thing to do is to push up. It's always disconcerting when inverted controls are set to default, it's counter-intuitive.
    What the hell does this have to do with human nature? It's just some peoples personal preference...

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Death View Post
    What the hell does this have to do with human nature? It's just some peoples personal preference...
    It's all about natural movement. To push something down to move it up is unnatural.

A good control scheme feels natural to use and requires little to no thought.

Lvl 6 - Silver

inversion just makes sense.
    think about it, if you look up you lean back, pulling the controller towards you.
    if you look down you lean forward moving the stick up.
    IT JUST MAKES SENSE!
    I dont get the confusion. the other way and i`m all retarded and cant do anything
    as far as left and right, well, who knows! but up an down SHOULD be inverted
    think of a flight stick. As for me, I started this way because of pc games, I would hold the left mouse button to walk, right button to shoot and I dare any of you to play well having the mouse be up as up and down as down, (ok maybe a few, but im sure NOT many)

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy72 View Post
    inversion just makes sense.
    think about it, if you look up you lean back, pulling the controller towards you.
    if you look down you lean forward moving the stick up.
    IT JUST MAKES SENSE!
    I dont get the confusion. the other way and i`m all retarded and cant do anything
    as far as left and right, well, who knows! but up an down SHOULD be inverted
    think of a flight stick. As for me, I started this way because of pc games, I would hold the left mouse button to walk, right button to shoot and I dare any of you to play well having the mouse be up as up and down as down, (ok maybe a few, but im sure NOT many)
    I don't lean back to look up, I don't lean forward to look down. I move my eyes and/or chin up to look up and down to look down, not my entire torso.

FPS controls are setup so that the left-stick (or mouse) emulates your head (it's called a look mechanic, not centre of mass rotation), and the right-stick (or keyboard) emulates your feet (forward, back, left, right). So the natural control scheme is up for up, down for down just as left is left and right is right, not up for down and down for up.

Furthermore, if you're going to argue that left-stick / mouse is torso movement (which is true), you're rotating left and right at the shoulders rather than the waist, and you're aiming your hands by raising or lowering the pointy end of a gun, so up for up and down for down still makes more sense to most people, otherwise inverted would be the norm.

The only games where inverted controls makes sense is flight, battleship & mech sims when using a flight stick to emulate realistic controls around a heavy centre of mass. When using a mouse or d-pad, non-inverted feels better even in sims to me because it's how I've always played my shooters.

Inverted controllers are in the minority, particularly for kb/m in PC FPS so...double-dare?

But whatever floats your boat, it's a moot argument and neither is better than the other, it's simply what you're used to using.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 10-14-2011 at 04:38 AM.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Im a inverted user dont really remember how i became one i just know that i cant play worth a damn with natural up or down, everytime i pop in a game first thing i do is go to options and invert the ups and downs. Its just a personal reference thats all.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I like inverted for FP flight controls, but for everything else, I prefer left-is-left, up-is-up. I think of it more as moving where the camera is pointing, rather than moving a joystick. The pads on the controller are analog sticks, not joysticks. If it stood up off the controller and had triggers and sliders on it, then I'd play with inverted controls. But as is, it does not do this. I prefer my controls non-inverted.

EDIT: I never go into the options to change the invert status until I've played the game, as I've run into some that consider "up-is-down" to be the default non-inverted state, so I have to change the control scheme to inverted in order to get it up-is-up. Not many games do this, but I know I've run into at least a few.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    EDIT: I never go into the options to change the invert status until I've played the game, as I've run into some that consider "up-is-down" to be the default non-inverted state, so I have to change the control scheme to inverted in order to get it up-is-up. Not many games do this, but I know I've run into at least a few.
    Sly Cooper is one of those games that defaults to inverted for the shooter levels.

Player Hater

Flight sims are the only types of games I would use inverted controls for. Otherwise... same as what most have said. Up is up, down is down, etc etc.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Inverted controllers are in the minority, particularly for kb/m in PC FPS so...double-dare?

But whatever floats your boat, it's a moot argument and neither is better than the other, it's simply what you're used to using.
    it all comes down to preference. as long as it works for you
    and I triple dog dare ya

Lvl 4 - Silver

From a place called south east london - I heard your mum's got bunions... fam what!?

When playing normally I het inverted and never use it, but I use it to control jet's as it feels ,more real. On a jet you would pull the stick back to make the jet tilt up wards.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ManicRipper2?feature=mhee

LOTR: Conquest/COD: [email protected]/Mirror's Edge/Transformers: ROTF/Star Wars: The Force Unleashed/MW2/God of War III/LittleBigPlanet/Bad Company 2/COD Classic/InFamous/Uncharted 2: Among Thieves/Trine/Burnout Paradise/inFAMOUS 2/COD: Black Ops/Assassin's Creed II/Anarchy: Rush Hour/MW3/Battlefield 3/Prototype 2/Far Cry 3/Sleeping Dogs/NFS:Most Wanted/FIFA13

PRO Member

Inverted Y Axis = Superior

Been using the option ever since Mario days on N64. . It's mostly veteran gamers from the old school days who are more likely to use inverted Y axis.

PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

On a Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    im only speaking for myself here as everyone has a different opinion but the whole inverted view system sucks & whoever first introducued it should be when I move my stick left I want my character to look left when I move the stick up I want my character to look up its just way too unconventional the other way round
    I thought the same as you, but now I can't play a game where when I press up, it moves up, and the same for down, I need to have the up & down views inverted

Awesome avy & sig made by In2
    Rep him if you like them!

member since Oct 2009

But in shooters you're walking around as a hu-man not an aircraft. We move our head up to look up, so the natural thing to do is to push up. It's always disconcerting when inverted controls are set to default, it's counter-intuitive.
    I don't remember this thread being about shooters, I must have missed that somewhere while not being human.

I don't lean back to look up, I don't lean forward to look down. I move my eyes and/or chin up to look up and down to look down, not my entire torso.

FPS controls are setup so that the left-stick (or mouse) emulates your head (it's called a look mechanic, not centre of mass rotation), and the right-stick (or keyboard) emulates your feet (forward, back, left, right). So the natural control scheme is up for up, down for down just as left is left and right is right, not up for down and down for up...
    I thought the left stick emulates your feet and the right stick emulates your head? I could be wrong, I don't play FPS.

As unnatural it seems to you, it makes perfect sense to me. Using the analogy of the stick emulating head movement, stick a Barbi/GI Joe doll head on the stick. Push Barbi/Joe's head forward, she/he is looking down and vice versa. I don't push my head up to look up, I pull/tilt it back. It makes sense on what you are saying about using eye movement but not chin. If your head is the stick, then foward is looking down.

No one is right or wrong in this situation about personal preference. Afterall, we are only human...are we?
    Last edited by fillabong; 10-14-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Kylo View Post
    Inverted Y Axis = Superior

Been using the option ever since Mario days on N64. . It's mostly veteran gamers from the old school days who are more likely to use inverted Y axis.
    I was thinking the exact same thing, back then i think some games came with the y axis inverted as default, then when i bought my first ps3 and tried playing a fps i was like wtf. I dont remember having problems with this on the ps1 or ps2 though.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

I like to turn and move my character the way it means so yeah that whole inverted option does suck
    And some games makes gameplay worse
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 10 - Platinum

i hate inverted but thats how my wife plays things. every time she gets on oblivion i have to change the control scheme back to normal. she says it feels wrong but it feels right to me to push up to look up and left to look left

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I find it uncomfortable not using inverted view.

A plat a month!

Its all a matter of preference. Myself, I cannot stand inverted.

Everyone Loves Candy

When I go to my friends place we play and whenever he gives me his controller it's whack. I've tried it but can't stand it.
    Hi Mom!

The One and Only

I'm a normal user. I can no longer stand inverted. Seems silly and difficult to get used to imo.

The only time I used Inverted was on Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters for the PSP, but after a while it felt okay. It's no longer the case on the PS2/PS3.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast