how to format PS3?

This is a discussion on how to format PS3? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; hi guys, I'm going to format my ps3 slim (320gb version) as the hard drive is full and sometimes the ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

how to format PS3?

hi guys, I'm going to format my ps3 slim (320gb version) as the hard drive is full and sometimes the system is not working well. i've got the latest firmware 4.50

and I've found the "Format Utility" and the "Restore PS3 System" in the menu..
    PS3™ | Restore PS3™ System
    PS3™ | Format Utility

and you know, the descriptions look pretty the same, but I'm sure there have to be some significant differences
    I don't care about saves, I just need to completely delete all the data on the drive, to make ps3 look like it's been just bought..

could you please help me in choosing the better one?
    thanks in advance

Lvl 6 - Silver

To put the ps3 back to its default state, you want to use the system restore option. This will format the hard drive and restore everything to its factory settings.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

huh, thanks.. but what's the difference between these two options?

Negator

You may consider rebuilding the database if you're experiencing poor performance.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

yep, of course it's an option, but
    I just need to completely delete all the data on the drive, to make ps3 look like it's been just bought..
    in that case I'll be 100% sure I did all I could, huh) which one is better? will it be enough just to restore ps3 system?

Deathless Destroyer

The only way you're able to completely remove all saved and installed data on your PS3, which would make it "like new", is to choose Restore PS3 System. Also known as restoring to the factory settings, this means that the PS3 is reverted to how it was before being placed in the box. Of course, it technically isn't "like new" as the system has been used more than the amount used in the factory (probably like 5 minutes to check it turns on properly and stuff).

If it's a matter of the PS3 being slower than usual, which nowadays after all the updates and its limited amount of RAM isn't all that fast, then you could try "Rebuilding the PS3's Database". Never done it before, but I'm guessing it "rebuilds" the OS, cleaning some un-necessary stuff up and clearing the system cache, making it faster. You'll still keep all your data, though if you placed stuff in albums, folders etc (like pictures and music) they'll be "un-bundled", as in they'll appear as if you never placed them in a folder.

PS: The second para was just expanding upon what Helyx had stated.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jacobqwerty View Post
    huh, thanks.. but what's the difference between these two options?
    Format just wipes the hard drive but keeps some settings in tact, system restore completey wipes everything including all settings

Lvl 1 - Bronze

oh, thank you guys for the help, I do really appreciate it)

Encorporeus
    huh, maybe, but I think full formatting makes the same effect as rebuilding the database, maybe even better)

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by jacobqwerty View Post
    I think full formatting makes the same effect as rebuilding the database, maybe even better)
    Rebuilding the database doesn't erase any data at all, so it's nothing like formatting nor restoring the HDD.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I meant there will be no need in rebuilding the system after full formatting is complete)

illegal in 9 countries

Sync your Trophies, backup your Game Saves and deactivate your PSN accounts from the PS3 before using Restore System. Done.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

guys, found the information that in PS3 slims the bigger firmware files are stored on the HDD and the files needed for booting are stored on the Flash chip (16mb).. and that the files on the flash act like a BIOS in a PC motherboard.. is that so? does that mean the formatting only deletes files from the HDD but not from the flash chip? just curious, no practical need for me) thanks
    P.S. oh, and please, could someone tell me what "booting" is?))

Lvl 6 - Silver

i'm not sure on the details but my mate just bought a 12GB Super Slim and a 1TB HDD, he had to do some technical jiggery pokery to get the OS booting off the 12GB flash and everything else running from the HDD, so i'm assuming formatting the HDD doesn't format the flash.