Results 1 to 12 of 12

Can PSN messages contain a virus?

This is a discussion on Can PSN messages contain a virus? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've got this message with just a pic attachment and I deleted it to be safe but could it contain ...

  1. #1
    Royal Flush X2
    omnislash's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,190
    Reputation
    200

    Can PSN messages contain a virus?

    I've got this message with just a pic attachment and I deleted it to be safe but could it contain a virus?

  2. #2
    The One and Only
    DaRe_xLw's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inglewood, CA
    Posts
    5,332
    Reputation
    493

    I've never heard of such happening before, but I'm sure it's definitely possible. It's always good to stay safe though, so good job.


    Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

    DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

    Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

    DareCity701
    My dA account.

    My YouTube Channel

    Please subscribe today!

    Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

  3. #3
    Local Drunk
    Feral's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,999
    Reputation
    603

    Never heard of viruses in PSN messages but wouldn't surprise me if there were. Deleting it was the smartest thing to do.
    Last edited by Feral; 10-25-2013 at 01:44 AM.


    Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

  4. #4
    Drunken Nights
    Ghost's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,866
    Reputation
    117

    Next time should you receive it again, report it.

  5. #5
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    The PS3 OS contains no viruses. But your approach was correct - delete anything with an attachment from someone you don't know.

  6. #6
    Banned


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    231
    Reputation
    10

    It happened to me before, as well. I also deleted it without looking.

    I would never say that a PSN message couldn't contain a virus because, in my life I've learned, if you can think it, it's probably already happened. I would hope that SCE puts a lot of time and effort into protecting it's consumer against such things.

    Either way; kudos for being safe rather than sorry.

  7. #7
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Quote Originally Posted by effdeegee View Post
    It happened to me before, as well. I also deleted it without looking.

    I would never say that a PSN message couldn't contain a virus because, in my life I've learned, if you can think it, it's probably already happened. I would hope that SCE puts a lot of time and effort into protecting it's consumer against such things.

    Either way; kudos for being safe rather than sorry.
    Unless it's a jailbroken PS3, unsigned code can't execute. The virus risk is zero on OFW.

  8. #8
    Negator
    DarkFox's Piss Bucket's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    29520
    Posts
    4,619
    Reputation
    818

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Unless it's a jailbroken PS3, unsigned code can't execute. The virus risk is zero on OFW.
    "Virus" is a relatively loose term. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see an image file embedded with some type of OFW-emulating code which could brick the system.

    (Silkrope, I'm looking at you)


    Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

  9. #9
    PRO Member
    AngeldeLeo's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Macau
    Posts
    3,053
    Reputation
    56

    Ive received many msgs like that and opened em no viruses there

  10. #10
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    "Virus" is a relatively loose term. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see an image file embedded with some type of OFW-emulating code which could brick the system.

    (Silkrope, I'm looking at you)
    Executable code like homebrew apps is housed in pkg files in CFW. They're signed so they can run within CFW, but they won't execute at all in OFW.

    A virus would need to exploit an underlying system engine like Javascript, VBscript, Cocoa or Java to inject code into a PC or Mac. None of them exist on the PS3 and the web browser is rudimentary at best - it's deliberately dumbed-down to remove the risk of exploitation by rogue code.

    I wouldn't worry about it at all, but I had the same sinking feeling the first time I received a random PM with an attachment. Delete it and forget it.

  11. #11
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    darkdaxter's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Singularity in a Super Massive Black Hole
    Posts
    95
    Reputation
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Executable code like homebrew apps is housed in pkg files in CFW. They're signed so they can run within CFW, but they won't execute at all in OFW.

    A virus would need to exploit an underlying system engine like Javascript, VBscript, Cocoa or Java to inject code into a PC or Mac. None of them exist on the PS3 and the web browser is rudimentary at best - it's deliberately dumbed-down to remove the risk of exploitation by rogue code.

    I wouldn't worry about it at all, but I had the same sinking feeling the first time I received a random PM with an attachment. Delete it and forget it.
    Interesting. That's good to know

  12. #12
    Lvl 1 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    25
    Reputation
    0

    I agree you should just report the message if you get another one

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO