Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

I have this idea regarding "starting over". Is it stupid?

This is a discussion on I have this idea regarding "starting over". Is it stupid? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi people. You don't know me but I've been a bit of a lurker around here and decided to take ...

  1. #1
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    ManofSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6
    Reputation
    0

    I have this idea regarding "starting over". Is it stupid?

    Hi people.

    You don't know me but I've been a bit of a lurker around here and decided to take the next step and join. And I knew what I wanted to ask this community. It's an idea I have, sort of like a competition against myself. And I wanted to know if I should bother, whether you think it's a stupid goal, etc. Anyways, here it is:

    My girlfriend has a friend coming over tomorrow and is staying for at least two weeks. Me being the anti-social I am (shyness is a killer) I usually will spend most of my time in the bedroom whilst moving my PS3 into the room and just play like a marathon of games, which I generally look forward to. So what I thought about doing is perhaps creating a brand new PSN account and seeing if I can reach or even surpass my current PSN account which is at Level 10 and I think 35-37% in those two weeks. And if I did surpass it, keep that account. So basically, a competition against myself.

    So what do you guys think? Is it stupid? Not worth it? Has anybody even done anything like this before?

  2. #2
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    canadian94eh's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    237
    Reputation
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofSteel View Post
    Hi people.

    You don't know me but I've been a bit of a lurker around here and decided to take the next step and join. And I knew what I wanted to ask this community. It's an idea I have, sort of like a competition against myself. And I wanted to know if I should bother, whether you think it's a stupid goal, etc. Anyways, here it is:

    My girlfriend has a friend coming over tomorrow and is staying for at least two weeks. Me being the anti-social I am (shyness is a killer) I usually will spend most of my time in the bedroom whilst moving my PS3 into the room and just play like a marathon of games, which I generally look forward to. So what I thought about doing is perhaps creating a brand new PSN account and seeing if I can reach or even surpass my current PSN account which is at Level 10 and I think 35-37% in those two weeks. And if I did surpass it, keep that account. So basically, a competition against myself.

    So what do you guys think? Is it stupid? Not worth it? Has anybody even done anything like this before?
    that's over 12,500 points in 2 weeks!! (bronze = 15, silver = 30, gold = 90, platinum = 180) ... that's just not possible

    Signature Created by Bladia
    Avatar Created by Bladia

  3. #3
    Forget I Was Ever Here
    Yoo_Hoo_Sniper's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,628
    Reputation
    661

    Quote Originally Posted by canadian94eh View Post
    that's over 12,500 points in 2 weeks!! (bronze = 15, silver = 30, gold = 90, platinum = 180) ... that's just not possible
    And how is that not possible? The guy said a marathon of games so sounds to me like he could do it...

    I personally just made a new PS account myself but not to beat myself but to see new progress with the new system. Goodluck to whatever you choose and maybe even hang with your girl and her friend



    It is time for me to go underground

  4. #4
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    ManofSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6
    Reputation
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    And how is that not possible? The guy said a marathon of games so sounds to me like he could do it...

    I personally just made a new PS account myself but not to beat myself but to see new progress with the new system. Goodluck to whatever you choose and maybe even hang with your girl and her friend
    Ah ok. So do you currently use both accounts, or you just concentrating on one only?

    Of course there will be times I'll be hanging with my girl and her friend, but I think 85% of the time I'll be locking myself away lol.

  5. #5
    DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!
    ooga's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    1,526
    Reputation
    143

    I think the real competition should be how far you can get with your girlfriend and her friend
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

  6. #6
    Forget I Was Ever Here
    Yoo_Hoo_Sniper's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,628
    Reputation
    661

    Quote Originally Posted by ooga View Post
    I think the real competition should be how far you can get with your girlfriend and her friend
    ROFL DOH'

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofSteel View Post
    Ah ok. So do you currently use both accounts, or you just concentrating on one only?

    Of course there will be times I'll be hanging with my girl and her friend, but I think 85% of the time I'll be locking myself away lol.
    Well I'm still using my initial account because my saved data and I won't be transferring my friends list over. I don't have much time to play at the moment but if I'm playing for trophies I started replaying some old games on my new account. I just want to see fresh progress with the new generation where as your trying to beat yourself so why don't you just get further with the account you already have?



    It is time for me to go underground

  7. #7
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    ManofSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6
    Reputation
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    ROFL DOH'



    Well I'm still using my initial account because my saved data and I won't be transferring my friends list over. I don't have much time to play at the moment but if I'm playing for trophies I started replaying some old games on my new account. I just want to see fresh progress with the new generation where as your trying to beat yourself so why don't you just get further with the account you already have?
    I think a lot of it has to do with boredom. There are a few games I want to play through again like Red Dead Redemption, Saints Row IV, etc. And I mean part of the fun is grabbing some trophies along the way. I don't know, just felt like a fresh new start. A lot of games I have on my trophy card I know I'll never play again that are 1% or so. OCD perhaps?

  8. #8
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    AizawaYuuichi's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,014
    Reputation
    41

    My only comment on this is that, if you'd really have to get over 12,000 points to hit the same PSN level you're at now, then yeah, that'd be nearly impossible. It would take 12+ full retail games to hit around 12,300, then the extra you'd need to hit that 30%~ you have AND pass it? Just as a competition against yourself, I wouldn't recommend it.

    ...
    BUT, for the OCD issue? Yeah sure, if you don't mind starting over (which it sounds like you'd be fine with doing), go ahead and do it. But it's very unlikely you'd catch up to your original account in 2 weeks. Just look at it as starting over, rather than catching up. I thought about doing that a few times over the last couple years, but as I kept playing, I realized it'd take way more effort to replay everything than I cared to expend.
    Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it.

  9. #9
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    ManofSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6
    Reputation
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    My only comment on this is that, if you'd really have to get over 12,000 points to hit the same PSN level you're at now, then yeah, that'd be nearly impossible. It would take 12+ full retail games to hit around 12,300, then the extra you'd need to hit that 30%~ you have AND pass it? Just as a competition against yourself, I wouldn't recommend it.

    ...
    BUT, for the OCD issue? Yeah sure, if you don't mind starting over (which it sounds like you'd be fine with doing), go ahead and do it. But it's very unlikely you'd catch up to your original account in 2 weeks. Just look at it as starting over, rather than catching up. I thought about doing that a few times over the last couple years, but as I kept playing, I realized it'd take way more effort to replay everything than I cared to expend.
    Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it.
    Yeah very good points you raise. I know deep down I'd never get to Level 10 in just two weeks. But I do plan on doing a lot of gaming for the next 2-3 weeks. The only problems are that I love my PSN ID name but starting fresh seems good too. I occasionally just play a heap of games at once and don't get around to finishing all of them because they just don't grab hold of me. With this new account I would be only playing games I want to play, whereas the other account I would just play games for trophies and to compete with friends, and I don't really like doing that. hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by ManofSteel; 03-19-2014 at 06:17 PM.

  10. #10
    ★ Extra Astronomical ★
    Pancake Model's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Morphogenetic Field
    Posts
    2,152
    Reputation
    282

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofSteel View Post
    With this new account I would be only playing games I want to play, whereas the other account I would just play games for trophies and to compete with friends, and I don't really like doing that. hope that makes sense.
    This isn't uncommon at all. A lot of gamers have 2 accounts: one for trophies and one for leisure.

    I think you should go for it.

    About 10 of my platinums are from games that I first bought for my xbox, and it felt damn good replaying them.

  11. #11
    Local Drunk
    Feral's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,999
    Reputation
    603

    Quote Originally Posted by ooga View Post
    I think the real competition should be how far you can get with your girlfriend and her friend
    Ha ha ha that would be the more fun competition


    Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

  12. #12
    Negator
    DarkFox's Piss Bucket's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    29520
    Posts
    4,619
    Reputation
    818

    If you played fast/easy platinum games, you'd surpass your current stats after 2 days of playing.

    Having said that, just man-up and be sociable.


    Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

  13. #13
    PRO Member
    Outstandind's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    730
    Reputation
    24

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofSteel View Post
    Hi people.

    You don't know me but I've been a bit of a lurker around here and decided to take the next step and join. And I knew what I wanted to ask this community. It's an idea I have, sort of like a competition against myself. And I wanted to know if I should bother, whether you think it's a stupid goal, etc. Anyways, here it is:

    My girlfriend has a friend coming over tomorrow and is staying for at least two weeks. Me being the anti-social I am (shyness is a killer) I usually will spend most of my time in the bedroom whilst moving my PS3 into the room and just play like a marathon of games, which I generally look forward to. So what I thought about doing is perhaps creating a brand new PSN account and seeing if I can reach or even surpass my current PSN account which is at Level 10 and I think 35-37% in those two weeks. And if I did surpass it, keep that account. So basically, a competition against myself.

    So what do you guys think? Is it stupid? Not worth it? Has anybody even done anything like this before?
    Don't do it bro! Now's the perfect opportunity to challenge that anxiety and hang out with your girlfriend's friend.

    Staying in your room the whole time is kinda rude. You don't wanna do that

  14. #14
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    ManofSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6
    Reputation
    0

    Hrmm, don't think I've made a great first impression here.

    I should also mention, not that I think it really matters here, but me and girlfriends friend aren't very close. In fact, she don't like me much

  15. #15
    PRO Member
    Bardas's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, England
    Posts
    260
    Reputation
    30

    Maybe because when she visits, you hide yourself away for the duration?


  16. #16
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    juliuspleezer's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Terminus.
    Posts
    687
    Reputation
    82

    Good luck with whatever you decide. I think you should make a 2nd account for fun and keep your main account so you don't lose all your work and as far as the low % trophy sets, just make the lists hidden. And yeah, get some uv vodka and some weed and maybe you can get that threesome going on

  17. #17
    Huge Skip Bayless fan.
    El Jefe's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Set of ESPN: First Take
    Posts
    3,357
    Reputation
    99

    in all honestly level 10 is quite manageable. id do it

    Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser


  18. #18
    PRO Member
    annare41's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,461
    Reputation
    80

    Yeah, go for it. What do you have to lose?. Level 10 is doable as long as you keep playing games like Captain America and not games like GTAIV.

    As a matter of fact I'm starting to think about having a new account myself, not for competition but to only have in there the games I really love and plat games like Red Dead Redemption and the Batman Arkham series again.


  19. #19
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    ManofSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6
    Reputation
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardas View Post
    Maybe because when she visits, you hide yourself away for the duration?
    Or perhaps that she just doesn't like me because I took her best friend away (different states) and this is actually the first time she's visiting us, whereas other times I've always hung around for my girlfriends sake and tried my best? Done.

    ---------------------------------------

    Thanks for the suggestion guys

    The only three games I've platinumed thus far are Red Dead Redemption (my fav game of all-time and have played through it several times), Borderlands and Resistance: Burning Skies on the Vita.

  20. #20
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    oscar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Arkham City
    Posts
    467
    Reputation
    6

    If you want to play resistance burning skies again. It'll cost you 10 bucks for a online pass for the new account.
    Batman Arkham Asylum l Batman Arkham City l Bioshock l Borderlands l GoW: Chains of Olympus l God of War
    GoW: Ghost of Sparta l God of War II l God of War III l InFamous l Killzone l Killzone 3 l LEGO Batman 2 l LEGO LotR
    LittleBigPlanet l LittleBigPlanet Vita l Plants Vs. Zombies Vita l PS All-Stars Vita l R&C: Going Commando
    R&C: Up Your Arsenal l R&C: A Crack in Time l R&C: All4One l R&C: Full Frontal Assault l Resistance: Burning Skies
    The Walking Dead l Trine 2 l Uncharted: Golden Abyss




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO