Questing and the Future of MMORPGs

This is a discussion on Questing and the Future of MMORPGs within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Big fan of Final Fantasy but I'm starting to find the main scenario quests boring and tedious. I'm level 30 ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Questing and the Future of MMORPGs

Big fan of Final Fantasy but I'm starting to find the main scenario quests boring and tedious. I'm level 30 and it seems that most of the quests consist of talk to this person, talk to that person, interact with an object, maybe fight 2-3 enemies, talk to someone, teleport, talk to another person...

Whats worse is you have to constantly travel across the globe to talk to this person, just to travel back 10 seconds later.

This comic really describes how I feel:

Final Fantasy MMORPG - Quest Fetcher | 8BitGamer

Do you guys think MMOs will always take a "grind till you cap" approach? Do you think theres anyway to make questing more bearable or new for players?

Have any other MMOs done questing in a better way?

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Singularity in a Super Massive Black Hole

Hah, that's funny. I personally don't like MMO's. I've tried a bunch, but could never get into any of them. FFXIV has been the only mmo that made me want to seriously pick it up and try it, but because it's been out for a while (meaning I've missed exclusive events) and requires a monthly fee to use the servers, I probably won't buy it. I'm sad to here the quests are all like that... I think most MMO's will continue to use the same formula because it sells and continues to sell, but then FFXIV already "innovated" in a number of ways by making console mmo's more like pc mmo's... so who knows. Hopefully they will evolve and get better.

100% Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by darkdaxter View Post
    Hah, that's funny. I personally don't like MMO's. I've tried a bunch, but could never get into any of them. FFXIV has been the only mmo that made me want to seriously pick it up and try it, but because it's been out for a while (meaning I've missed exclusive events) and requires a monthly fee to use the servers, I probably won't buy it. I'm sad to here the quests are all like that... I think most MMO's will continue to use the same formula because it sells and continues to sell, but then FFXIV already "innovated" in a number of ways by making console mmo's more like pc mmo's... so who knows. Hopefully they will evolve and get better.
    FFXIV 2.0 has been out for like 2 months. Not that long.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Singularity in a Super Massive Black Hole

Quote Originally Posted by Bagel_Bear View Post
    FFXIV 2.0 has been out for like 2 months. Not that long.
    Cool... I may get it then... It all depends on how much change I've got in my pocket by the end of the year!

PRO Member

This very question is why I love Star Wars: The Old Republic. You can grind in this one if you want, but it isn't necessary. The quests and storylines alone will get you to max level. I love it and I pay for a subscription to this free to play game because I love it so much.