Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gran Turismo 6 Microtransations are bad - A Jaguar XJ13 is 119.95

This is a discussion on Gran Turismo 6 Microtransations are bad - A Jaguar XJ13 is 119.95 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Gran Turismo 6 microtransaction pricing revealed • News • PlayStation 3 • Eurogamer.net We already knew Polyphony's racer would include ...

INTJ

Gran Turismo 6 Microtransations are bad - A Jaguar XJ13 is 119.95

Gran Turismo 6 microtransaction pricing revealed • News • PlayStation 3 • Eurogamer.net

We already knew Polyphony's racer would include microtransactions - a first for the series. Now we're nearing the game's Friday 6th December release more information on how these work has been revealed.

Let's start with the virtual currency, credits. Credits, which you use to buy cars and parts, can be bought in 500K, 1 million, 2.5 million and 7 million denominations.

The PlayStation Store updated today with the prices for these. They are as follows:

500,000 In-Game Credits (3.99/4.99)
    1 Million In-Game Credits (7.99/9.99)
    2,500,000 In-Game Credits (15.99/19.99)
    7 Million In-Game Credits (39.99/49.99)

The video, below, showcases GT6's cars and reveals one of the top priced, the Jaguar XJ13, which costs 20 million credits. You can grind for it in traditional Gran Turismo fashion or you can buy it straight away if you drop 119.95 - that's the total you pay for two packs of 7m credits, two packs of 2.5m credits and one pack of 1m credits.

Forget I Was Ever Here

Where's the video? I bet this will be a feature in a lot of next gen games

It is time for me to go underground

Game Review Team

Finally I can take pride in owning fake cars.

PRO Member

I expected better from Poly.
    Well, they can kiss my ass if they expect me to pay half the price of a brand new PS3, just to get an in-game car.
    Last edited by ChrisValentine; 12-05-2013 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Typo

Lvl 8 - Gold

I'll only really care if earning said credits in game is either;

a) impossible
    b) slow as fuck (5 credits per race or some shit)
    or 3) stupidly fucking boring

illegal in 9 countries

Or you could...you know...do what we did in previous GT games and actually PLAY the game to rack up credits.

Paying for content is entirely optional and the whole premise of the micro-transactions is an oxymoron - you'd have to be fucking stupid to buy 20 million credits and stupid people don't tend to have disposable income.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

The rich people will still buy this - let's jack up your memory a bit: a guy somewhere in Europe paid $16k real life dollars for a near-perfect roll of one of the best weapons (Echoing Fury) in Diablo 3, and he apparently makes $36k per month. If rich guys like that want to put down serious bucks for a virtual Jaguar, let them.

Just play the game and enjoy the experience; let's just thank those 'stupid' rich guys for helping Polyphony and Sony make more money. Oh, so ingenious of them, don't cha think? Would you rather all those excess disposable income be spent on other useless stuff or, wait for it... go to future Sony projects? ^^
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

PRO Member

Hmm... yeah I remember back when I was complaining about paying for optional day one DLC that cost $1 - $5 can't believe it's only been a couple of years and we're already talking about so much money. Yes I know it's all optional but however it may be this is crazy.

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Lvl 2 - Bronze

GT has always been a grind, especially for the expensive cars. This just lets people who either a. have limited time to enjoy the game, or b. have more money than sense unlock some content a bit quicker. Big fucking deal, it's not gonna effect how I or anyone else plays the game.

The only way this would ever be a problem is if Polyphony deliberately altered the in-game economy to make it an even bigger grind, which by all accounts they haven't. Prize money and car prices are pretty much identical to GT5.

Move along people, nothing to see here.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by germ1984 View Post
    GT has always been a grind, especially for the expensive cars. This just lets people who either a. have limited time to enjoy the game, or b. have more money than sense unlock some content a bit quicker. Big fucking deal, it's not gonna effect how I or anyone else plays the game.
    If it's for people who don't have enough time, why not make the option free? remember cheat codes?

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Or you could...you know...do what we did in previous GT games and actually PLAY the game to rack up credits.

Paying for content is entirely optional and the whole premise of the micro-transactions is an oxymoron - you'd have to be fucking stupid to buy 20 million credits and stupid people don't tend to have disposable income.

hey look it's the "it's optional so lets ignore the tumor while it grows" argument.

whats going to stop the publisher from forcing the dev to make credits harder to get. When micro-transactions are added to a game it changes how the game is designed entirely.

not to mention there's no way in hell you can justify a 120 quid car in a video game. A digital car that costs more than a Pre-owned vita.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    hey look it's the "it's optional so lets ignore the tumor while it grows" argument.

whats going to stop the publisher from forcing the dev to make credits harder to get. When micro-transactions are added to a game it changes how the game is designed entirely.
    Normally I'd agree with you, but GT has ALWAYS been about the grind, so it kinda fits within the game's existing design model. All this does is offer a shortcut for those with more money than sense.

How is this any different to buying hats in Team Fortress 2? You either work for it, or you pay for it, and in any case, you don't need it, so it's opt-in rather than the smartphone model of forcing it down your throat.

If we could only play 3 races a day in GT6 (similar to the freebie Tekken's free-to-play model) before needing to purchase additional credits, that's a whole different story.

not to mention there's no way in hell you can justify a 120 quid car in a video game.
    ahem...Star Citizen says "Hi!". Didn't you splash out extra dough for a limited edition spaceship in a video game?

INTJ

How is this any different to buying hats in Team Fortress 2?
    because cars arn't cosmetic.

ahem...Star Citizen says "Hi!". Didn't you splash out extra dough for a limited edition spaceship in a video game?

Star citizen's system is purely for donating. it isn't for buying ships. it's a "donate this much to us, you get this"

it's like getting a plaque on a wall for donating.

it's the equivalent of kickstarter.

illegal in 9 countries

because cars arn't cosmetic.
    Nor are TF2 hats and weapons. They bestow in-game benefits to the owners beyond simple cosmetic appeal.

And didn't you post an article about some fucktard paying tens of thousands of real dollars for a cosmetic courier in DotA 2? Hypocrite much?

Star citizen's system is purely for donating. it isn't for buying ships. it's a "donate this much to us, you get this".
    Wrong wrong and yeah...wrong. Take a look at the Store > "Pledge" page (another word for pre-pay with real money) and have a look at all of the ships and ship add-ons you can buy that give you a distinct ADVANTAGE over those who don't have them.

The more you pay, the better the ship, and you can buy every ship in the game as an add-on to the core "pledge" if you had the money to blow for a measly $15K. Make no mistake - they're buying ships and titles that create an advantage over the rest of the populous.

Same business model. Pay to win or grind it out. Simple as that.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 12-04-2013 at 09:19 PM.

INTJ

Nor are TF2 hats and weapons. They bestow in-game benefits to the owners beyond simple cosmetic appeal.
    how are hats not cosmetic.

please explain. name me a single hat that changes gameplay.

And didn't you post an article about some fucktard paying tens of thousands of real dollars for a cosmetic courier in DotA 2? Hypocrite much?

courier skins do not change gameplay either. buying a car in the game to race against other people does.

what your complaining about is basically a gold plated paintjob on a car, not the car itself.

illegal in 9 countries

how are hats not cosmetic.

please explain. name me a single hat that changes gameplay.

Here's the first thing I could find. 20% recharge boost = advantage over stock weapon = pay to win. Suck on it.

Almost every hat and weapon in the game bestows similar benefits and, no doubt, some are in higher demand because the benefits they grant provide a distinct advantage and they either cost more in-game time or more real-world money to acquire. Same shit, different bucket.

courier skins do not change gameplay either. buying a car in the game to race against other people does.
    The XJ13 is little more than a cosmetic skin considering it's one of maybe 500 to 1000 cars in the game. Given Poly's history, it's a variant of a half-dozen other similar Jags, with similar performance to other supercars of its era.

Vintage / luxury cars are far from the best you can buy in GT. The only reason you'd buy one is because you like how it looks or there are make / model / year restrictions on the race. And besides, you can get the EXACT same model in-game by earning credits. The only advantage you have over anyone else is time.

INTJ

Here's the first thing I could find. 20% recharge boost = advantage over stock weapon = pay to win. Suck on it.
    thats the weapons main stat.

Bazaar Bargain - Official TF2 Wiki | Official Team Fortress Wiki

it's also not a hat.

keep trying.

Fight the Future

From everyone who has the game already they've said the race payouts are the same or better than the ones in GT5 so no, they didn't change the game because of micro-transactions, they simply gave players an OPTION to get credits for real money if they choose to do so.

Also, are you going to complain about Forza doing this too? They've done it since at least the 4th one and I haven't heard you complain.

illegal in 9 countries

thats the weapons main stat.
    That's also my point - it functions differently from a stock sniper rifle (Sniper Rifle - Official TF2 Wiki | Official Team Fortress Wiki), ergo it's advantageous to either grind for it, or pay for it.

it's also not a hat.

keep trying.
    Hats...guns...same fucking thing. You knew what I meant - it's DLC that you either buy or grind.

I found one regardless - http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Pyrovision_Goggles. Hardly advantageous (unless the map textures improve enemy visibility), but as requested it "changes gameplay" and is not available via the stock game unless you grind or pay. Suck on that too.

Kiwi Defender

Well, I'm not a fan of micro-transactions, but like most of you guys, I agree it's not really harmful, given you can still get it and it hardly offers a great advantage over someone else. Even if it could make people who just started the game get a big advantage from the get-go, race specifications are on pretty much every big race in the game, so it won't help them that much. There's also the fact that you can have them on online races, so there's an even smaller window of John "I spent $120 on a digital car" Doe having an advantage over John "I didn't spend $120 on a digital car" Doe.

Hats...guns...same fucking thing. You knew what I meant - it's DLC that you either buy or grind.

I found one regardless - Pyrovision Goggles - Official TF2 Wiki | Official Team Fortress Wiki. Hardly advantageous (unless the map textures improve enemy visibility), but as requested it "changes gameplay" and is not available via the stock game unless you grind or pay. Suck on that too.
    I have that shit (Vintage, too), and it's not advantageous at all lol. And it was easy as hell to get, so not really a grind.

That said, I get your point and agree - just adding my insight to the conversation .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I have that shit (Vintage, too), and it's not advantageous at all lol. And it was easy as hell to get, so not really a grind.

That said, I get your point and agree - just adding my insight to the conversation .
    Yeah they did hand out Vintage versions in 2012, but try getting it now. It's either earn the Unique version via the A Fresh Pair of Eyes achievement, or you buy it.

Besides, it was just to make a point that hats can change gameplay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast