Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sony to shut down servers for Resistance 1-3 in March 2014/GT5 in May 2014

This is a discussion on Sony to shut down servers for Resistance 1-3 in March 2014/GT5 in May 2014 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Well, Resistance 1 and 2 are old games, and I doubt the whole trilogy has much activity anyway, so it's ...

Kiwi Defender

Well, Resistance 1 and 2 are old games, and I doubt the whole trilogy has much activity anyway, so it's not really surprising.

GT5 is different though. I'm sure a lot of people still play that, and I wouldn't be surprised to know that many of them haven't (and won't) jump ship to GT6 for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckay View Post
    Shame R2 is being shut down, the online co-op was my favorite part of that game.
    I think we can objectively call it the best part of the game .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    Which is why all games should go to peer-to-peer online servers after the developer backs out.
    This option was previously available on all games, before Sony removed it in an OFW update.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    Which is why all games should go to peer-to-peer online servers after the developer backs out.
    This. Developer-managed servers has been the Achilles Heel of console gaming for the last generation. Peer-to-peer resolves that issue completely, sadly however, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    This. Developer-managed servers has been the Achilles Heel of console gaming for the last generation. Peer-to-peer resolves that issue completely, sadly however, I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    I'd say how quickly that happens depends on the success of the SteamBox, but even then it probably wouldn't happen on every game.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Platinum Procrastinator

What online trophies does GT5 have? I haven't played it in years and might need to get those out of the way.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    What online trophies does GT5 have? I haven't played it in years and might need to get those out of the way.
    I had a quick look at the list and the only two I can come up with is to share a photo and to share a created track.

I don't think online is required for B-Spec, but it does make the grind less painful. I'm not 100% sure on that however, so someone else might clarify.

The only sane person here

Why would they shut down the server to a game that has been in development in a long time and just shut it down under four years?

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by KingLazy View Post
    Why would they shut down the server to a game that has been in development in a long time and just shut it down under four years?
    I guess GT6 has something to do with it.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

The Deathly Rhythm

Ohh, Looks like I gotta get my R3 back from my friend sooner than I expected
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Lvl 1 - Bronze

So, just trying to confirm this and make sure I understand it fully. These games are having the whole servers shut down, not just certain features? Online playability is eliminated for the games mentioned after these dates?

Retired...

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Don't worry you have already unlocked two online trophies. Rest of the trophies are on your own. Good luck.

Signature made by dsluckay & PPS bar made by RaveNScythE18

INTJ

this is why developers should either make player-run dedicated servers a standard feature or scrap the multiplayer client entirely.

Online multiplayer in games that arn't built solely for it are dumb.

Splitscreen multiplayer is better but the only ones who honestly cares about actual fun like that anymore is nintendo and various PC indie devs.

Game Review Team

First Resistance, then Gran Turismo 5... What's next.... LittleBigPlanet 2?????

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I had a quick look at the list and the only two I can come up with is to share a photo and to share a created track.

I don't think online is required for B-Spec, but it does make the grind less painful. I'm not 100% sure on that however, so someone else might clarify.
    Those are the only '"online" trophies.
    Sad that they will shutdown the servers for GT5. It's still one of the most online played games on PS3. I guess PD wants to push those players into playing GT6.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by NTGSruler View Post
    Those are the only '"online" trophies.
    Sad that they will shutdown the servers for GT5. It's still one of the most online played games on PS3. I guess PD wants to push those players into playing GT6.
    More than likely not, though im still aiming to complete GT5 before I move onto GT6.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Redding View Post
    More than likely not, though im still aiming to complete GT5 before I move onto GT6.
    What do you mean with completing? Platinum? I just need gold on 2 Red Bull Races..

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    I knew that, and I meant to change that in the OP, but I couldn't change it in the title.
    I got your back. thread title changed.

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    I got your back. thread title changed.
    Thanks man.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig94 View Post
    Well looks like I'll never finish my R2
    You can still do it, but you'll really need to commit yourself to it, as it could take WEEKS to get through it. Buy the DLC maps, find a boosting partner and get to it!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Cant imagine that U2 and U3 servers will be shut soon, isnt ND the server owner, not Sony? If Sony are starting to close some of their servers, I'd assume Killzone 2 and 3 will be probably be one of the next.

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast