Playing PAL dvds on a UK PS3 on a NTSC TV

This is a discussion on Playing PAL dvds on a UK PS3 on a NTSC TV within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I thought I would post this as I found it very helpful and it took me a while to figure ...

PRO Member

Playing PAL dvds on a UK PS3 on a NTSC TV

I thought I would post this as I found it very helpful and it took me a while to figure it out.

I just recently moved to Missouri USA from the United Kingdom (I had a thread on this site before it crashed about my move).
    I brought my UK PS3 with me of course.

As most people know PS3`s are region free and will play most Blu Rays and Games from different countries.
    I have had no problems with any game or Blu ray that I have bought in the USA. It wasn't until I tried to watch a PAL dvd on the system I ran into a problem. Obviously my UK PS3 can play PAL dvds but because my PS3 is attached to a NTSC TV (A Sony XBR46HX929) the screen would go blank and say that the video mode is not supported. It took me a while to figure out that it was because of the PAL/NTSC problem.

If you go to display setting on your PS3 and disable the 1080i and leave the 576p, 720p and 1080p ticked your NTSC tv will recognize the PAL signal because the PS3 has converted it for your NTSC TV.

I have tried watching a few of my PAL dvds and so far all of them have worked on my NTSC TV.
    I got The Soprano's, The Simpsons, Family Guy and 24 to work on it so I'm confident that all of my PAL dvds will play on it.

I hope this helps anyone who is moving abroad and taking their PS3 with them.
    Last edited by thirtle1705; 10-14-2011 at 09:44 PM.