Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sony Shows off Keyboard/Mouse Addon for PS3

This is a discussion on Sony Shows off Keyboard/Mouse Addon for PS3 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Nagflar No, it's for the PS3. It says so right there in the title . Eh, then ...

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    No, it's for the PS3. It says so right there in the title .
    Eh, then I see no use in me buying it then especially at that price

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

looks like an unfinished calculator
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I think it's good thinking because many couldn't get it with the ps3 controller on fps so this will make it alot better for them,and this will bring many pc gamers to ps3 because on ps3 there aren't hacks

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ro97Gr493d View Post
    I think it's good thinking because many couldn't get it with the ps3 controller on fps so this will make it alot better for them,and this will bring many pc gamers to ps3 because on ps3 there aren't hacks
    Yeah, shame it looks terrible and is overpriced.

40oz to freedom

Looks almost as ugly as that 3ds thumbstick add on

Lvl 8 - Gold

I like controllers more.

PRO Member

Umm..... Where the rest of it?
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Lvl 7 - Gold

I think I'll go with a regular keyboard and mouse. Perhaps this will open the gateway for some games like Diablo III though.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

PRO Member

$127 for that shit??? LOL even the $5 keyboards on google shopping must more comfortable to use than that... but hey they could prove me wrong...... if it actually manages to be comfortable

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Regional Manager of War

$127 I could buy a wirless keyboard and mouse for half that price.....wow what a waste. Its a overpriced fugly calculator with a control pad on it

PRO Member

I guaruntee the FPS players will buy this, they seem, I never liked a mouse thats why I chose console as it has a controller, if its new someone has money they will buy it.l

Lvl 3 - Bronze

..That shit looks TERRIBLE!

Everyone Loves Candy

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
    I guess CPU gamers should be excited about this. I personally can't get used to this.
    Agreed. I know many CPU gamers and this may be the next best thing for them. Apart from the normal keyboard.
    Hi Mom!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

It's made by Hori who also manufacture pretty high quality arcade fighting sticks for the PS3.

I would agree it's fugly but folk who are into racing like their wheels and the Street Fighting brigade rave about using a 'proper' stick instead of the generic PS3 controller, so I see no reason why there shouldn't be a peripherals for FPS's.

Gaming keyboards are available to PC user and so it make the PS3 world a little bit better having a choice.
    FML

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    it looks terrible. just get a Actual Keyboard and mouse.
    It doesn't matter for shit if it looks bad, it's about whether or not it works.

And besides, when are you ever going to be looking at it?

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by HYSTΣR!A⋆➒➑ View Post
    It doesn't matter for shit if it looks bad, it's about whether or not it works.

And besides, when are you ever going to be looking at it?
    everything about it looks terrible

the design, the comfort, etc.

Kid, not loser

Why is everyone saying this looks horrible, there so many gaming keyboards for pc that look almost identicle in terms of style. And this is probably much more comfortable than a regular keyboard saying you have all the buttons reachable with much ease and no other buttons in your way (like a normal keyboard does), it has the PS face buttons in easy to reach positions, the PS button off to the side so you dont accidently hit it. And the mouse is a normal mouse, no need for complaint there. Maybe it is a bit pricey, but it deffinetly is optimized for gaming and looks SO much more comfortable to use than a regular keyboard.

illegal in 9 countries

kb/m is only supported by a handful of PS3 games and very badly at that. If this is only for kb/m supported games, you're right, use a PC kb/m instead. But if this is for any PS3 shooter, which is the case for all other PS3 kb/m emulators, then it has a market, but it is way behind the best.

Fail #1 - it's right-handed only rather than ambidextrous. Huge fail for lefties.
    Fail #2 - given it's a licenced Sony peripheral, i'm assuming it will not work with all PS3 games, only those with native kb/m support.
    Fail #3 - shit build quality compared to official PS3 devices and PC gaming mice / keyboards.
    Fail #4 - no ability to map the keys. Different games use different keys for ADS, Use, Crouch, Sprint etc, so this fixed key layout falls apart under real gaming conditions.
    Fail #5 - 6-axis support? It's needed in Killzone 2 & 3.
    Fail #6 - it's last-generation tech and aims to compete with XFPS, Eagle Eye, Aimon PS (formerly FragNStein) and FragFX. As a kb/m PC gamer looking for a console alternative for four years now, I've owned all of them and they're all awful.

These devices are only capable of adjusting the sensitivity of your aim with some ADS sensivity and acceleration settings (FragNStein was ok, the rest sucked). What they can't do is remap your buttons, nor accurately adjust to a game's deadzone, acceleration, X-Y ratio, different hip-fire / ADS sensitivity and diagonal dampening.

Buy a Xim3 instead (XIM3.com) for $150 - it works with any USB mouse / keyboard in any PS3 game and is leagues ahead of the competing kb/m solutions by offering all of the above. The only thing it can't emulate is 6-axis, so keep a DS handy for Killzone's wheels and charges as needed. Most games don't use 6-axis these days, so it's a non-issue.

Xim3 is a 360 peripheral, so you also need a wired 360 controller to map the keys and a $10 360 > PS3 USB adaptor for it to work on PS3, but I can guarantee it kicks this PoS's arse.

I've run Xim3 with dozens of PS3 shooters and it's as close to PC gaming and 1:1 tracking as we're going to get. For cross-platform games like Wolfenstein, Call of Duty (all of them), Bulletstorm, Borderlands etc, you can't tell the difference. Some tweaking is required for PS3 exclusives like Killzone, Resistance & Uncharted, but it beats the pants off the Dualshock.

Having the 360 controller attached to the same PS3 USB port means it's easy to swap between m/kb on foot and gamepad for vehicles by simply using one or the other. This is helpful for games like GTAIV, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, BFBC1&2 where the vehicles handle like shit using a kb and shooting accurately using the DualShock is horrendous compared to a mouse. I also used the 360 pad in Uncharted 1 &2 for the platforming sections.

Here's my setup -

I own a Logitech G13 which is natively supported by Xim3 so the analog stick works, but it's a right-handed device and I'm a lefty gamer, so I prefer the Z-Board Fang instead. Xim3 also supports the Move's Navigation controller if you'd prefer a controller + mouse combination.

Sony rarely puts their name to poor quality products, so the Hori kb/m might exceed expectation. However, having owned every PS3 kb/m accessory to date, there's no way on God's green Earth I'd recommend anything but a Xim. I own it, I love it, I wouldn't play console shooters without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    I think I'll go with a regular keyboard and mouse. Perhaps this will open the gateway for some games like Diablo III though.
    Diablo III will be fine on a DualShock. Play Sacred 2 and you'll know the control scheme in D3 will adapt very easily to PS3.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 10-16-2011 at 10:59 PM.

PRO Member

@Most of the thread:

This is a bit of a misnomer, this isn't really a keyboard/mouse add-on in a traditional sense. Its a tournament gaming set. 127 USD is a high price, but its not unheard of for these types of add-ons.

This type of KB is used by many FPSers because its significantly quicker than a traditional KB, you basically hotkey it the way you want and there isn't alot of unwanted movement. You use all the keys and they are all accessible with one hand.

Most people do. This add-on is for the P1s/1%-ers.

Its not particularly uncommon.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12