PS3 external hard drive help -

This is a discussion on PS3 external hard drive help - within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey fellas and ladies - Just needing some help - with all of these freebies for being a + member ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

PS3 external hard drive help -

Hey fellas and ladies - Just needing some help - with all of these freebies for being a + member I'm finding my HDD filling out faster than I care for (I own the PS4...and I've honestly been playing my 3 more than the 4....sad, I know). But, I've never even considered upgrading my HDD on the PS3 - what is needed? I am just kind of price shopping right now, but I have no idea what I"m even looking for!

I saw this @ Best Buy and it seemed like a decent price - but again, I have no clue. Thoughts? Suggestions? Want to piss on my grave?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-cavia...&skuId=8682311
    http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=969355

Cause I'm the Wilt Chamberlin of that upper body grip!

illegal in 9 countries

I assume you mean internal rather than external HDD. An external won't do anything for you for game storage.

Replace the PS3 HDD with up to 1TB max capacity (the PS3 can't recognise anything bigger), 3.25" 2.5" width and 9.5mm height to fit in the slot.

Don't bother with SSD or 7200rpm, neither adds much to performance. The best you can hope for is to save a second or two of load time.

Everything else is up to you, just go for the cheapest option.

Also worth noting is you can click Download for a PS+ freebie, wait for it to Activate, then cancel the download to conserve HDD space. That'll add the game to your Downloads list so you can play it at a later date.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-16-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'll also be looking to swap out my ps3 HDD soon for a 1TB. Ant, being the knowledgeable guy you are, what brands do you believe are the most reliable for longevity?

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Also worth noting is you can click Download for a PS+ freebie, wait for it to Activate, then cancel the download to conserve HDD space. That'll add the game to your Downloads list so you can play it at a later date.
    ^ This.

Go with a 5400rpm Western Digital or Seagate. It's a standard laptop sized HDD.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    ^ This.

Go with a 5400rpm Western Digital or Seagate. It's a standard laptop sized HDD.
    Right - this is what I've been doing lately - but I kind of want to have them download before I pass out one night so that they'll be ready to play the next day or so -
    http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=969355

Cause I'm the Wilt Chamberlin of that upper body grip!

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Replace the PS3 HDD with up to 1TB max capacity (the PS3 can't recognise anything bigger), 3.25" width and 9.5mm height to fit in the slot.

Don't bother with SSD or 7200rpm, neither adds much to performance. The best you can hope for is to save a second or two of load time.

Everything else is up to you, just go for the cheapest option.

I thought that a 2.5" HDD was the only size that could fit into the slot? Not being disrespectful when I ask, but that's what I saw, read up on, and was recommended.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    I thought that a 2.5" HDD was the only size that could fit into the slot? Not being disrespectful when I ask, but that's what I saw, read up on, and was recommended.
    "All PS3 models have user-upgradeable 2.5" SATA hard drives."
    according to wikipedia.org thats what it is?

Lord of all Goat-Men

Yes, Ant1 meant 2.5". The thing about 9.5mm is right, though.

Stick with Seagate/Western Digital. Instructions on how to upgrade your harddrive are readily available on the web.

Lvl 6 - Silver

upgrading to a 1TB is definitely the way to go, just search '1TB PS3 Hard Drive' on amazon or such.

i upgraded mine with a 1TB and i have 21 PS+ games on my PS3 with over 600GB still free lol

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    Yep, sorry, 2.5" is what I meant. I must have been sniffing one too many poopy nappies when I wrote that post

I personally prefer Seagate HDDs over Western Digital. I've lost maybe a dozen WD drives over the last decade and not a single Seagate. Several of the WD deaths were due to a bad batch and the Greens not being suitable for use in a NAS. WD has subsequently released a range of Red drives specifically for NAS use, however I still go for Seagate whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by black__bunny View Post
    I'll also be looking to swap out my ps3 HDD soon for a 1TB. Ant, being the knowledgeable guy you are, what brands do you believe are the most reliable for longevity?
    For longevity, SSD would seem the better solution given there's no moving parts. SSDs also don't generate the same amount of heat as a HDD, so that's another possible consideration if you're still on a Fat PS3 and want to avoid the YLoD (cracked solder due to heat / cool cycle).