Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PS3 Console

This is a discussion on PS3 Console within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I have a first-generation PS3. It still has that glossy look to it, it's also heavier and bigger than the ...

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

PS3 Console

I have a first-generation PS3. It still has that glossy look to it, it's also heavier and bigger than the new ones. I've always loved it, but I'm starting to see the signs of it failing. Nothing is meant to last forever and I feel that this is a slippery slope for my loved console.

The prospect of getting a new one isn't hard - the cost doesn't bug me and I can do it in a heartbeat. My question is, if I do decide to get a new PS3, can I save my trophies or carry them over to the new PS3? Is there any way to transfer saved data over? Would it be as easy as putting them on a USB drive or saving them in my PS+ online storage and retrieving them later?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

Your trophies will be saved on the server

Huge Gaming Backlog

I have a question about your console. When you say it's on the way out what is happening? Does your graphics in games flicker or you get these colored spikes that stick out across the screen?

The One and Only

Sync your trophies before the death of your beloved PS3, buy a new one, sync the trophies in there, and you're good to go

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Gotham's Reckoning

If I were you, I'd put all the games saves and data onto a USB drive even if you are putting them on the PS+ online storage so that you would have a backup of all your saves and data.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Lvl 9 - Gold

You can sync your trophies on your new account since they're saved on sony's server. Imagine them being saved on your PS3!

You can transfer over data via online storage but I'd recommend saving it on a USB first. There are games that are copy protected so you won't be able to save those :/
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Thanks guys; it's good to have this confirmed. I'm not going to get one just yet, but the PS3's shortcomings (mine at least) are starting to happen more and more often and they're more annoying than anything. I can live with them but if it happens in the middle of something important, then I can see myself being annoyed enough to get a new one.

My problems range from video issues to freezing rates to outright crashes. Sometimes it would crash just opening the web browser or opening an image. Sometimes it'll crash in the middle of a movie. Some of these things are saved on the hard drive some of them are disc based. If I end up playing a game that has long spans in between save points, with a increased frequency of crashes, I can see this becoming an issue in the near future.

I'll probably save everything I can save prior to getting a new one, but I'll make that decision when it becomes a problem. For now, it's more of a nuisance than anything.

Currently Playing
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

you can put your save data on an external hard drive or a usb BUT sometimes copy protected saves will not work when you transfer it onto the ps3, however if you use the cloud service which you get if you buy playstation plus then copy the save data on there and copy it back to your new ps3 as the cloud service overrides copy protection, but think about the fact that cloud is more expensive and not all games use copy protection,as for the trophies just sync your trophies and then sync them again when you get your new ps3 by signing in with your old acccount hope this helped

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Take precautions now about storing your saves on flash drive and those saves that are copy protected to cloud on psn
    Becuz YLOD can happen without warning.
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Trophies are saved onto your psn account/server not on the actual hard drive so when you sign into your account on a new ps3 your trophies will still be there. Saved game data will need to be transferred by usb/external hard drive.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I would suggest trading in the FAT for the SLIM as soon as possible before YLOD happens. That's what I did when mine got YLOD & did the hairdryer fix....Sync your trophies and backup ALL your data. I think you get $100 in store credit at Gamestop for the FAT's. And dont forget to deactivate the system before you trade it in.

Lvl 7 - Gold

On the XMB menu, go to Settings, then System Settings, then go in to Data Transfer Utility. I have not used this feature but it sounds promising. If you have questions about this feature, check your owner's manual or call and ask Sony about it. This is the advise I give to you.
    Avy created by Beam and kid420247

Everyone Loves Candy

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    Take precautions now about storing your saves on flash drive and those saves that are copy protected to cloud on psn
    Becuz YLOD can happen without warning.
    This happened to me. I freaked out when it happened.

If I were you I'd get a slim and data transfer your save data to the new one. Better to be safe then sorry.
    Hi Mom!

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

It has been ordered:
    PS3 Bundle

Currently Playing
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

Just back up all ur saves with a usb or using the online transfer service for plus members only and everything is fine

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalPhoenix View Post
    It has been ordered:
    PS3 Bundle
    dude thats so cheap its just bullshit....we never get that over here

Sig by Apokolypz

Mr. X

I'd reccomend trading in your old one if it still has some life in it. My PS3 was on it's way out and I had no choice but to trade it in or I couldn't afford a new one. As the machine would start up and play games for about five minutes I was able to do it. Even if someone buys it preowned and it doesn't work they can just take it back to the store and get a replacement. You're only taking money from a big company.

Also like others have said I would suggest backing up to a USB as well as online storage just to be safe.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I bought a new ps3 recently and everything that was on the old one is on the new one...

just plug an ethernet cable and connet both ps3's , then transfer everything from the old one to the new one and sign in on your new ps3 and sync trophies

A clone shall be made O.o lol... then u can do whatever you want to the old one, but you have to deactivate the acount on the old one

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetic View Post
    I'd reccomend trading in your old one if it still has some life in it.
    Going to do my best to see if I can trade it in for some store credit somewhere. I'm stuck in no-man's land right now, my computer is being repaired and I won't get it for another 2 weeks and my PS3 is being shipped soon. I'm using an old computer that my parents have. I guess there's always TV, reading, going out, exercise...hey, that's quite a few. Time to get that bike out of some basement and try to do go outside and ride it up a hill and go "weeee" when coming down. That should keep me happy for 10 minutes.*

Currently Playing
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

"Tear it all down."

Use the aforementioned data transfer utility command once you hook the new PS3 up to your old one and you should be able to copy not only your saves date, but your game data as well. There is an option for porting over to a new system, so it's not like Sony didn't know people would upgrade their PS3 at some point to a newer model or bigger hard-drive.

And like everyone else said. Sync your trophies before you switch consoles and you won't have to worry about losing trophy data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast