Games Soon Playable On Home Computers?

This is a discussion on Games Soon Playable On Home Computers? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; With Sony soon releasing the PS Now service would people finally be able to play PS3 games on your own ...

Deathless Destroyer

Games Soon Playable On Home Computers?

With Sony soon releasing the PS Now service would people finally be able to play PS3 games on your own computer, albeit via streaming?
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 4 - Silver

That's what it sounded like to me, but usually things like this end up being too good to end up being true. We can only wait and see.

illegal in 9 countries

Gaming on home computers? What a preposterous suggestion! :broken:

PS Now will only be available on PS4, PS3, Vita and Vita TV. Sony wants to sell their hardware and PS+ & PS Now subscriptions, not support another medium.

I personally believe PS Now will be a dud for the first year or two. If the PS Store back-catalogue of PS and PS2 games is anything to go by, we'll end up with a small selection of PS3 games that most of us have already played. I hope that's not the case, but it's the most likely outcome. We'll also have to rent all games, there's no way for Sony to detect if you already own it.

I further believe that PS Now and the Vita TV are the prototypes for the next-generation of PlayStation, or at worst, the generation after that. When global internet infrastructure is capable of streaming HD games to the masses (not gonna happen in Oz, thanks Tony Abbott you fucko for destroying the NBN!), then the hardware will no longer be required and we'll login via dumb terminals to centralised game servers to stream all of our content.

So, while PS Now may end up failing in the short term, longer term it'll be the business model of choice.

Deathless Destroyer

Tony didn't completely destroy it - Australia will get it in 2016 though we'd only get 20mbps network which I think is still good for FHD streaming...?

The hardware will still be required in the future, we just won't need to depend on it as much as we do ATM.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Tony didn't completely destroy it - Australia will get it in 2016 though we'd only get 20mbps network which I think is still good for FHD streaming...?

The hardware will still be required in the future, we just won't need to depend on it as much as we do ATM.
    20Mbps = 2.5 Megabytes per second. Not to mention that's the download speed, upload speeds will max out at 250 to 500 Kilobytes per second.

That's fucking pathetic compared to the previous government's 1Gbps or 125 Megabytes per second, which is then easily upgraded to 10Gbps or 1250 Megabytes per second, which is then easily upgraded to 1Tbps or greater speeds that are capable on an all fiber-optic network. Still think that's good enough?

What Abbott and his fucking cronies have done is placed a bottleneck on our internet and technology industry for the next 30 years, not to save the few billion dollars difference between FTTN and FTTP (which will ultimately end up costing 10's of billions more by sticking to the copper network), but to cripple our internet so Murdoch's Foxtel can kill Netflix before it gets off the ground in Oz.

Our internet infrastructure has been fucking raped by greedy, nepotistic arseholes who couldn't win the election on their own, so they got Murdoch to buy it for them. In return, they crippled the internet for Murdoch's business interests and too many of you dumb fucks are blind to what they've done.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Gaming on home computers? What a preposterous suggestion! :broken:

PS Now will only be available on PS4, PS3, Vita and Vita TV. Sony wants to sell their hardware and PS+ & PS Now subscriptions, not support another medium.
    You missed 2014 model Bravias and Sony Tablets

And yeah, Abbott's internet plan is a joke.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    You missed 2014 model Bravias and Sony Tablets
    Details, details...and true, though both would seem more suited to streaming video than gaming. Apparently the DS3 will work with Bravias, but I'm not sure how it'll work with tablets

Deathless Destroyer

The upload speed can't be right, I have pathetic 1.5mb download and 700mb upload speeds (700 kb/s) ATM with my ADSL2+ plan ATM. But I agree that Tony made a stupid decision just to save a few billion which would have made an exponentially greater difference and would be cheaper to maintain according to the old plan. I'm not surprised that the NBN plan was dumped because of him.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    The upload speed can't be right, I have pathetic 1.5mb download and 700mb upload speeds (700 kb/s) ATM with my ADSL2+ plan ATM. But I agree that Tony made a stupid decision just to save a few billion which would have made an exponentially greater difference and would be cheaper to maintain according to the old plan. I'm not surprised that the NBN plan was dumped because of him.
    You're not on 700Mbps upload, that's completely daft. I also doubt you're on 700Kbps (90 kilobytes / sec) upload speeds on a 1.5Mbps connection, that shit maxes out at 256 kbps (32 kilobytes / sec). Be careful not to mix up your bytes and bits. Head here to find out your connection speed - http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-test/, keeping in mind that's through your ISP's mirror and your connection speed to the rest of the web will be about 75% of that speed.

My piss-poor connection is roughly 480 Kilobytes / sec down (3.75Mbits) but typically hits only 350 kilobytes / sec down, with a max of 90 kilobytes / sec up, which typically peaks around 50 kilobytes / sec up. ADSL2+ packages in Oz are maxed out at 1024kbps (128 kilobytes / sec).

At best, the proposed 25Mbps (3.15 megabytes / sec) connection will have 4Mbps (500 kilobytes / sec) upload speed, though expect half of that as upload speeds will be throttled by ISPs. Cable providers are a shitload faster than that already. Compared to the FTTP upload speeds of 400Mbps (50 megabytes / sec), again it's fucking pathetic.

Will 25Mbps down / 4Mbits up be enough for PS Now? Yes, but not by 2016...they've already back away from that deadline while in the midst of doubling their rollout costs along with buying Telstra's defunct copper network.

If the average Australian was educated on the benefits of FTTP infrastructure and the rampant fraud now being committed by Malcolm Turnbull, there's no way the Libs would have won the last election and there's no way they'll get in for a second term. With any luck, we'll still have time to commit to FTTP by the time the Libs are voted out. If not, we are seriously fucked for the next 30 years.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-24-2014 at 05:49 PM.

INTJ

if they are going to put it on cell phones they are stupid not to put it on computers

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    if they are going to put it on cell phones they are stupid not to put it on computers
    If Sony's stupid for not rolling out PS Now on PC, then Nintendo's stupid for not rolling out their Mario games on smartphones.

Why the fuck would they support a medium that makes them no money? Nintendo more than anyone knows the value of locking their IPs onto their hardware, but apparently that rule doesn't apply to Sony...

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

If Sony's stupid for not rolling out PS Now on PC, then Nintendo's stupid for not rolling out their Mario games on smartphones.

Why the fuck would they support a medium that makes them no money? Nintendo more than anyone knows the value of locking their IPs onto their hardware, but apparently that rule doesn't apply to Sony...

Exactly, Sony spent a lot of dough on getting the tech, they are unlikely to give away any chance of making a profit.

I agree on the idea that it's a long game with Now, no better way to test the waters than by providing an entirely optional service with a tempting hook. Even if it's only moderately successful it will have done it's job.

INTJ

if sony is smart playstation now would act similar to netflix or playstation plus. pay a monthly/yearly fee, get games from ps1/ps2/ps3.

it would be like onlive. except it actually works.

or i can just, y-know, emulate all those games on my pc for 100% free (except the Ps3 games of course, but thats soon.) and sony sees no money at all for not making it easy and legal.

but hey, they are putting it on android phones, somehow thats a better idea then putting it on pc?

Sony unveiled PlayStation Now early this month as a way to maker popular titles available not only on the PlayStation 4 but also on other certified PlayStation devices such as the PlayStation Vita as well as BRAVIA TVs and, in the future, Sony Xperia mobile devices.

(and don't say it's only on sony xperia devices, it's not hard to sideload that shit on another android phone, just like the previous Playstation mobile store they have on there.)

but hey, they can just shun connectivity and technology and wait for amazon's rumored game console with nvidia grid cloud gaming tech to rip their face off.

the tech page on nvidia grid cloud gaming
    Last edited by Ps360; 01-30-2014 at 03:51 AM.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    it would be like onlive. except it actually works.
    ... and this is why I question this business model. Onlive was a complete and utter failure. I'm not sure we even have the infrastructure for something like this to be effective.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    ... and this is why I question this business model. Onlive was a complete and utter failure. I'm not sure we even have the infrastructure for something like this to be effective.
    Amazon does at least.

2nd Strongest Servers in the world (Behind Microsoft's Azure), Has tons of cloud tech (Amazon Appstream), and is using the Nvidia Grid tech.

if anyone can jumpstart the cloud gaming world, it will be amazon.