Playstation 3 Repairs

This is a discussion on Playstation 3 Repairs within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Does anyone know if Sony is still doing repairs on older systems? I have a 60GB that just got the ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Playstation 3 Repairs

Does anyone know if Sony is still doing repairs on older systems?
    I have a 60GB that just got the YLOD of death and am wanting to get it fixed or replaced through Sony. I read a while back that they will repair it for X amount or replace it with a slim for X amount. Just curious if they are still doing this.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Why don't you call Sony to find out first hand?

I don't think they will give you a slim IMO
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    Why don't you call Sony to find out first hand?

I don't think they will give you a slim IMO
    I plan to in the morning but it is currently 2240 here so I believe it is to late to call their service center. I was mainly curious and just looking to see if anyone had any idea

Lvl 1 - Bronze

They fixed my slim a few years back for 149 USD. Second time it died I took it apart and did the heat gun fix. Then traded it in a few weeks later for a slim before it broke again
    When I got it fixed they did send the exact same unit back and they did not offer an upgrade, it was right when the slims first hit the market though.

Ghost Assassin

I'm not exactly sure, but I think they'll give you a slim for X amount of dollars, like a trade-in. Is it possible that they'll give you a refurbished fat ps3?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure, but I think they'll give you a slim for X amount of dollars, like a trade-in. Is it possible that they'll give you a refurbished fat ps3?
    I would prefer a fat still... I use a lot of the things offered on the 60GB.. I know I can buy 3rd part peripherals but I like them all built in... so I don't think I would mind a refurbished one at all..

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by knflktd View Post
    They fixed my slim a few years back for 149 USD. Second time it died I took it apart and did the heat gun fix. Then traded it in a few weeks later for a slim before it broke again
    When I got it fixed they did send the exact same unit back and they did not offer an upgrade, it was right when the slims first hit the market though.
    I think the swap, if I am correct, was for the individuals who still have the fat systems. Although I could be wrong. But thanks, I was unsure of the price and now I know I can look to around $150. Not to bad I suppose.

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Does anyone know if Sony is still doing repairs on older systems?
    I have a 60GB that just got the YLOD of death and am wanting to get it fixed or replaced through Sony. I read a while back that they will repair it for X amount or replace it with a slim for X amount. Just curious if they are still doing this.
    Sharing my experience with you: I too, once had a 60gb PS3, and it caught YLOD , so I called sony to see if they can reapair it. A rep told me that I "qualify" for a special deal: I ship them my old PS3, and they'll send me a brand new 120gb Slim for about $119 + Tax (Add on shipping, plus a box for them to send me to ship my old PS3) so it came up to $150 which isn't bad for a brand new one (considering that it cost $200+ in stores) the only thing is that you have to wait a few days (most likely 3-4 days) for the box to get to your house. Cnce you do get that box, fill out that pink form they placed in there, pack up the PS3 (it will come with a foam-fited frame for the PS3) and take it to UPS and they will ship it off for you (since you already paid for everything, Sony will have a pre-paid shipping label for you inside the box) then, once they have it, you'll receive an email confirmation stating that they have your old system, and your new one is currently being packed up. Then, you'll get another email a couple of days later stating that your new 120gb slim has been shipped and is currently en route to your location. When you do call them about it, after they tell you about the deal, ask them to include the power cable, because they won't unless you ask for it (I had to make sure since the power cords for the fat PS3 are different from the slim PS3. Hoped I helped you in your downtime from everything!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    Sharing my experience with you: I too, once had a 60gb PS3, and it caught YLOD , so I called sony to see if they can reapair it. A rep told me that I "qualify" for a special deal: I ship them my old PS3, and they'll send me a brand new 120gb Slim for about $119 + Tax (Add on shipping, plus a box for them to send me to ship my old PS3) so it came up to $150 which isn't bad for a brand new one (considering that it cost $200+ in stores) the only thing is that you have to wait a few days (most likely 3-4 days) for the box to get to your house. Cnce you do get that box, fill out that pink form they placed in there, pack up the PS3 (it will come with a foam-fited frame for the PS3) and take it to UPS and they will ship it off for you (since you already paid for everything, Sony will have a pre-paid shipping label for you inside the box) then, once they have it, you'll receive an email confirmation stating that they have your old system, and your new one is currently being packed up. Then, you'll get another email a couple of days later stating that your new 120gb slim has been shipped and is currently en route to your location. When you do call them about it, after they tell you about the deal, ask them to include the power cable, because they won't unless you ask for it (I had to make sure since the power cords for the fat PS3 are different from the slim PS3. Hoped I helped you in your downtime from everything!
    thank you....I just got the yellow light a couple hours ago in the middle of my Zues fight on God of War 3... luckily I was able to get the game disc out of the system. Some quick button pushing got it to eject. But unfortunately I hadn't backed up any of my saves for a few weeks, so all is lost . I am going to call in the morning and see what they have to say. I might just go out and buy another one in the meantime and place the current one upstairs when it comes in.