Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

How long can the PS3 be on?

This is a discussion on How long can the PS3 be on? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've left mine on a week before with no problems. As far as I know, you can leave it on ...

member since Oct 2009

I've left mine on a week before with no problems.
    As far as I know, you can leave it on indefinitely, it is a computer afterall.
    Sony has the program Folding At Home on the ps3 or they did that requires the ps3 to be on all the time.

PRO Member

Left both slim and fat on for more than a week straight, no problems.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I leave mine on for as long as I am playing which could be 8+ hours a day. My 40GB fatty is from the 2007 era as well. & Not a single freeze.. OK little dramatic but you know what I mean. It doesn't matter. Just get over the baby your new PS3 stage & bust it's cherry. That's how you would really find out if something would be wrong with it. Make sure to clean it's vents every now & than & do not leave it in a small space. Like a boxed in wall.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 3 - Bronze

if it's on but just chillin on the menu/xmb then it can last a long time....pretty much weeks! I left mine on for 1 and 1/2 weeks and it's still running like it's new. I have a 120gb slim.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Depends on whether or not your system gets the proper ventilation. I've had my launch fat 60 gig on for four days straight when I was reformating my HDD and it never overheated.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 7 - Gold

well you could always have your ps3 on power save mode if you forget to turn your ps3 off or something

also i dont see why you would want to leave it on for a long time if it not even going to be used just a waste towards your electricity bill lol

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't like keeping it on more than a few hours at once.

Game on....

I usually keep the PS3 on only if im playing games. So between 2 - 4 hours a day in one gaming session or maybe twice in a day. Leaving the PS3 on the XMB produces little heat compared to when a game is being played and the reason is because the bluray drive will produce lots of heat.

Local Drunk

Longest I've left mine on for is 2 days it was downloading games (have really shit internet) and it was fine but I try not to have it on all the time.

PRO Member

Thanks mates 4 sharing the experiences now i ll try it on 4 a week on doing the 24h of MK

Lvl 3 - Bronze

came home at 10 am yesterday, started dragon age origins

11pm i killed the archdemon!

so yeah, 13 hours online straight, but to USE it for that 13 hours straight can seldom get your ps3 stuck , which is why taking breaks and letting the ps3 cool down is necessary

-i- love myself.

I left mine on for like a whole day downloading something, i don't remember what. I know my internet is really slow, and that's why it sucks. :/

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AngeldeLeo View Post
    I want to know How long can a PS3 stay on before it gets really hot or overheats? For both Fat and Slim
    Slims you can probably leave on forever and never have a problem unless it's a blu-ray issue. Now fats. Just make sure it's in a well ventilated area in a cool area. Other than that, both my 2 slims and 2 fats stay on almost 24/7. Fats for 4+ years, slims for 1-2 years. My room is also set at 65 degrees for all of my tvs/ps3s . It gets hot!

Lvl 6 - Silver

i gotta 80GB Fat PS3, iv left it on bout 3 days straight n not a problem, if it in closed space, farewell PS3
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I never leave mine on for more than roughly a few hours, depending on what I'm doing that is. If I'm playing an RPG then I may leave it on for 5-6 hours.

On a Paradise

I'll recommend you to give your ps3 a break every 5-6 hours, because that will let the system don't be overheated

Awesome avy & sig made by In2
    Rep him if you like them!

Platinum Dohvakiin

The longest my Fat has be "on" was roughly 4 days. The longest it's be on and being played was about 36 hours straight.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Slims you can probably leave on forever and never have a problem unless it's a blu-ray issue. Now fats. Just make sure it's in a well ventilated area in a cool area. Other than that, both my 2 slims and 2 fats stay on almost 24/7. Fats for 4+ years, slims for 1-2 years. My room is also set at 65 degrees for all of my tvs/ps3s . It gets hot!
    R u rich just curious u mean u have 4 ps3 on for 24h 4 +1 year?

Change is mediocre

K well, I left mine on for about 7 minutes, and it YLOD'd...

Mines a fatty, planning on getting a slim soon.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AngeldeLeo View Post
    R u rich just curious u mean u have 4 ps3 on for 24h 4 +1 year?
    Not rich, but I do have money and I do what I want with it . But yes they are on all the time. Besides, even when the Ps3 was $500-600, and now $250. It's extremely cheap for what it included in the package. I do a lot of self boosting with games.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast