Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

How long can the PS3 be on?

This is a discussion on How long can the PS3 be on? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've had my PS3 on for 3,5 weeks when I weren't home, still works fine...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I've had my PS3 on for 3,5 weeks when I weren't home, still works fine

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Narhinik View Post
    I've had my PS3 on for 3,5 weeks when I weren't home, still works fine
    Thats too long i wont take the risk LOL

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AngeldeLeo View Post
    Thats too long i wont take the risk LOL
    It's the same risk as if you are leaving your computer on 24/7.... which is really nothing. Besides restarting for windows updates and the occasional power surge.. I can say my PC has been on for over 8 years with never really being turned off.

The risk from what I've found comes from certain games that were poorly developed.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I've fallen Asleep with it on and i've shut it off and its been fine

Lvl 3 - Bronze

having slow internet , i left it on throughout the night, coz like a 2GB file would take 15 hours or so

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i once left my 120 gb ps3 slimon for about 2 days works fine to

PRO Member

I have the fat 80gb version and got it back when it was $600 and I have left it on overnight many times and it has never overheated, but my friend has the same version and he only uses his for like COD and never really leaves it on, but he just got the YLOD about 2 months ago.

Sig by Bladia

Hack the Planet!!

Mine never gets a rest. as soon as I stop playing games the girlfriend starts watching netflix.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

A fat ps3 shouldn't be left for much time turned on as it's more possible to be overheated. I'm sure u don't have problems with a slim one...
    Awesome signature made by Athena

PRO Member

Mine has been on for 24 hours and I haven't had any problems.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Lvl 3 - Bronze

i've left mine on for 3 straight days once...it was ok...
    then again, i was playing dead nation, co-op mode and it got pretty warm and froze up in a couple hrs...

PRO Member

I never play on my PS3 for 1-2 hours I always play for more than 5+ hours straight... I've left my PS3 on several days while playing and downloading stuff... I believe the most time I've left my PS3 on was a week... It still works beautifully!

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I used to do folding at home and it would be on for days on end bro so you can leave it on for awhile

PRO Member

Put it on as long as you want, just make sure there is good ventilation and reasonable amount of space around and above the ps3, also if it on the carpet( which mine is as i have no space elsewhere and it also gives better space for venting) put a slate or some cold metal surface, I think i have a black marble slate under mine so it does not sink in the carpet and that has worked fine for 4yrs for me, just think about if there is nothing in the manual about how long it is on for then put it on as long as u want if it breaks it's sony's problems and hey, cross the bridge when you get 2 it, you can't spend life worrying i used to worry about stuff like this but not anymore i realised life is too short not sayin you r wrong just my opinion no offence

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Buy my book, Alteration

Probably forever! Or at least a really long time.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by kc1598 View Post
    Put it on as long as you want, just make sure there is good ventilation and reasonable amount of space around and above the ps3, also if it on the carpet( which mine is as i have no space elsewhere and it also gives better space for venting) put a slate or some cold metal surface, I think i have a black marble slate under mine so it does not sink in the carpet and that has worked fine for 4yrs for me, just think about if there is nothing in the manual about how long it is on for then put it on as long as u want if it breaks it's sony's problems and hey, cross the bridge when you get 2 it, you can't spend life worrying i used to worry about stuff like this but not anymore i realised life is too short not sayin you r wrong just my opinion no offence
    Ok 1st not exactly worry, is $$$ and is just a question to know more bout the ps3 limit coz i never had it on for more than 1 day and is good for every1 to know that info mate

[><] No1 IN SCOTLAND [><]

My answer is simple; "As long as you want or as long as is needed per gaming session". (Dependent on the game of course).!?
    As long as it clear & has room to breath ~ you`ll be fine..!!
    PS3TROPHIES.COM MEMBER SINCE: SEPTEMBER 2009.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Sometimes I'll leave mine on for 3 -4 days..but I have a ceiling fan in my room...which I'll turn on and keep on while I'm playing. So far mine still works. Then again its a slim and new.
    All credit goes to Athena
    Got last.fm? http://www.last.fm/user/Metal_Queen666
    All credit goes to Auburn

Lvl 2 - Bronze

as long as your system is in a properly ventalated area you should be fine with any reasonable amount of time. also make sure that you keep dust out of its vents. my first ps3 used to never get turned off cause i used to use folding at home.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

The PS3 I had on launch was about 10 days straight and it was fine. The reason it was on that long was I forgot to turn it off because my then girlfriend (now wife) called me and told me that her daughter broke her leg and she picked me up and we stayed at the hospital for a few days cause it was a bad break and I spent the next week at my girlfriends house helping her with her daughter and when I got back I noticed my PS3 was still on and Uncharted was still going. It hadn't even froze and I picked up where I left off and beat the level and then I shut her down for a about a day and it worked fine when I fired her up. Unlike my 360 at the time my original 360 broke four times in less than 6 months and it was gone for repairs for about 2.5 months for 3 repairs that I had to pay for cause the tech support said it was my fault that the machine overheated cause I had it on too long. DAMN, I guess 4 hours is too long. Blasted Microsoft's piece of junk after the forth time of it overheating I was done with it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast