Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

How long can the PS3 be on?

This is a discussion on How long can the PS3 be on? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I leave mine on all the time. Mainly because I fell asleep playing or watching TV on it, and then ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

I leave mine on all the time. Mainly because I fell asleep playing or watching TV on it, and then forget to turn it off before school. I think the longest I left it on for was around 5 days.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The 'Fat' PS3's have had issues with the YLoD (Yellow Light of doom) due to overheating, I've personally experienced this with my old PS3 but it was more of a cumulitave effect of heat wearing down some padding or gel to keep it cool, I've talked to Sony about the newer Slim models (I now have a 320GB Slim) and they've said that they've had no problems reported with them overheating.

Sony did say that for all models that keeping the vents on the PS3 (Any model) clean and free of dust will help to avoid overheating issues.

I've left my Slim and Fat on for at least 4 days straight on various occasions...

Oh and I forgot to mention, I had a launch PS3 "Fat" that only gave me the YLoD 2 years ago, and that was with a ton of use!

PRO Member

First of all I have to say there are 3 PS3s in my house. One of them is an original 20 GB Fatboy (Nov '06) that has only been turned off once, for re-locating. A 320GB fatboy and a 320GB slim all which have been left on for months at a time.
    I have gone through two fatboys; one BR drive failure and one board failure.
    I have since replaced the original 20GB with a 500GB and still working like a champ.
    As long as the vents are clear and you keep them clean you should have no problem.
    Mainly watch the dust build-up.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I usually play PS3 for 1-3 hours. I played 4 straight hours of MW2 before, but that was with my Phat 60GB PS3. I'm trying not to exceed over 2.5 hours now.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Um... They turn off? J.K. left mine on overnight and it was fine.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by tripledt View Post
    First of all I have to say there are 3 PS3s in my house. One of them is an original 20 GB Fatboy (Nov '06) that has only been turned off once, for re-locating. A 320GB fatboy and a 320GB slim all which have been left on for months at a time.
    I have gone through two fatboys; one BR drive failure and one board failure.
    I have since replaced the original 20GB with a 500GB and still working like a champ.
    As long as the vents are clear and you keep them clean you should have no problem.
    Mainly watch the dust build-up.
    R u serious o_0 its that possible

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AngeldeLeo View Post
    R u serious o_0 its that possible
    Is that possible, or its that possible? Yes is the answer either way.

WHO DAT!!!!

the fat boys will roast and the slims just keep on trucking

The Last of my Kind

I leave mine on all the time, it was on for almost two weeks once cause I went on holiday. I know 1 friend who got YLOD cause he put a towel over his ps3. Apparently the only way for it to overheat is if its cramped up by things and air cant get out... Mine is in a good ventilating place so I've never heard the fan turn on xD

Thanks to LuckayCanadianShulckayMooseackey for this Signature & Elite Guild Bar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The longest time I've kept it on, was about a day; and it's a Slim!

But just to take care of it, I always turn it off when I'm done!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234