Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Use of Walkthroughs

This is a discussion on Use of Walkthroughs within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; sometimes i use them, when i get stuck, or for collectibles. I play the game by myself, untill i get ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

sometimes i use them, when i get stuck, or for collectibles.
    I play the game by myself, untill i get stuck or lost, then i take a quick peek on my PC

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by bmj14772 View Post
    I'm not ashamed to say I always use guides for BS trophies like collectibles. Who wants to wander around for hours on end looking for the stupid things that have little to no impact on the storyline?

I try not to use guides for the main plot of the game as it does ruin the fun and surprise for me but, if i'm stuck... you bet your i'll refer to a guide. I honestly prefer written guides with images over video guides too.
    This is how I approach it as well. Games that have a lot of collectibles annoy me so I'm going to look them up and save time finding them so I can continue on with the story.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I try not to. But if useless collectables are what's keeping me from a plat, I'll give in.

Otherwise, no. I've been stuck on Limbo for like... two months.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmj14772 View Post
    I'm not ashamed to say I always use guides for BS trophies like collectibles. Who wants to wander around for hours on end looking for the stupid things that have little to no impact on the storyline?

I try not to use guides for the main plot of the game as it does ruin the fun and surprise for me but, if i'm stuck... you bet your i'll refer to a guide. I honestly prefer written guides with images over video guides too.
    Is a collectibles guide also considered a "Walkthrough"? well then id have to say i use them for that same purpose as well, a few examples would have to be:
    "Endangered species" from GTA IV..
    Lets face it 99.9% of every player who ever got this trophie/achievement used a guide...and who can blame us? those little are nearly impossible to find and there are 200 of them all scattered around GTA IV big map
    "Expert treasure hunter trophies" from Uncharted 1,2
    Ok so i didn't use this even close to how much i used the ones from GTA...but there was still a few that was so hard to find that i had to use a guide xD
    "Hollywoodland" from LA Noire
    For this trophie i just gave up the moment i realized i hadn't found a single one when i completed the story And most of these films where hidden places i would never have looked so i am glad i choose to find them

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

PRO Member

I try to use them as only a last resort. I will use them more on a 2nd playthrough if there is a collectibly trophy, etc that i still need. It sometimes ruins the experience if you accidentally read a spoiler.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I never use a walkthrough for my first playthrough. I wan t to find the way myself. So taking this into account, I never use walkthroughs.

I don't think that the videos that actually show you the collectibles are called "walkthroughs", but if they do, then I use them whenever I have collectible trophies. I mean, it's pointless to just wander around searching for little things. It stops being fun so the faster you are done the better...
    Awesome signature made by Athena

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I never use them unless the game I'm playing has a bunch of puzzles or secret advancements. Like God of War, KOTOR or Jedi Outcast II. (Yes, that's some old school stuff).. games just aren't that hard anymore.

Now.. trophy guides are a different story as said with those god *** pigeons.! (GTAIV).

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

I've only used them once or twice in all of the games I've ever played. One was on Batman: Arkham Asylum, only because I was stuck though. After that, it was off to normal playthrough.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Notorious K.I.D.

I use walkthroughs for alot of my RPG's. And with the way most games are including collectibles to extend the playtime. walkthroughs are almost indispensable.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I do use them now and again; mostly depends on the game. For some easier ones I'll only use them when I'm stuck, but for some games that I'm really interested in I might sneak a peek at some info before the game comes out (i.e. if the game is multi-region). I do seem to pick up some hate for "excessive" use of walkthroughs for certain games (looks at Helyx) but I can play and enjoy a game how I want to and no one is going to stop me.

I do agree with Chris though, it'd be cool to see a walkthroughs section; maybe similar to trophy guides in which one person is assigned to write a walkthrough for a specific game. Would be a cool addition, if possible.
    before the site went down i asked breakpoint about this and asked if i can make a trial walkthrough and he said to make one and get back to him. i was thinking of doing it for MW3 next month. hopefully it leads somewhere

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Gotham's Reckoning

Only for collectables and if I'm completley stuck at a section of a game.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I try to do most of the game by myself, but when I'm stuck it can really get annoying. That's when I use them.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I use it sometimes...
    for games like: Resident evil, Dead Space, Batman Arkham Asylum & Borderlands
    "The door to safety is shut. There is no turning back..."

PRO Member

I ll use mostly for the collectibles other than that not

Huge Gaming Backlog

Walkthroughs are needed for some games. Games like Fallout, Oblivion and Demons Souls especially. It can be hard sometimes when you need to purchase an item from a NPC but they are only in a certain place on a certain day at certain time. I would never of platted or even finished Demons Souls without the help of a walkthrough.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

It usually depends how I feel about a game. Straight and narrow games like PrisonBreak or SAW I might print out the trophy guide to keep tabs on what I am looking for to meet the requirements, Infamous I had to print out a map for like 5 blast shards, and super in depth games like Just Cause 2, I use it for the many collectibles all throughout the game. I will also resort to a walkthrough when I am facing a boss and can't kill him, like Enslaved. I was so confused with that first boss, I tried for hours to kill him. I finally decided to do a quick search to see what I was missing, then I just decided to pull out the guide cuz of the retarded ass orbs that needed to be collected. That game sucked all the way until I beat it the first time. I unlocked the ninja costume, and suddenly the game became way way better!

Oh yeah, two thumbs up on the addition of walkthroughs.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

It usually depends how I feel about a game. Straight and narrow games like PrisonBreak or SAW I might print out the trophy guide to keep tabs on what I am looking for to meet the requirements, Infamous I had to print out a map for like 5 blast shards, and super in depth games like Just Cause 2, I use it for the many collectibles all throughout the game. I will also resort to a walkthrough when I am facing a boss and can't kill him, like Enslaved. I was so confused with that first boss, I tried for hours to kill him. I finally decided to do a quick search to see what I was missing, then I just decided to pull out the guide cuz of the retarded ass orbs that needed to be collected. That game sucked all the way until I beat it the first time. I unlocked the ninja costume, and suddenly the game became way way better!

Oh yeah, two thumbs up on the addition of walkthroughs.

Lvl 4 - Silver

From a place called south east london - I heard your mum's got bunions... fam what!?

I've only used it for finding hidden collectibles
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ManicRipper2?feature=mhee

LOTR: Conquest/COD: [email protected]/Mirror's Edge/Transformers: ROTF/Star Wars: The Force Unleashed/MW2/God of War III/LittleBigPlanet/Bad Company 2/COD Classic/InFamous/Uncharted 2: Among Thieves/Trine/Burnout Paradise/inFAMOUS 2/COD: Black Ops/Assassin's Creed II/Anarchy: Rush Hour/MW3/Battlefield 3/Prototype 2/Far Cry 3/Sleeping Dogs/NFS:Most Wanted/FIFA13

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Yeah, I have sometimes use walkthrus, mainly for collectibles and the occasional bad ass boss. it part of gaming.

I also find myself on youtube watching walkthrus when it's time to pick a new game. Both Dead Space 2 and Deadrising 2 were played cause of a walkthru. i also want to play Mirror's Edge. Also it gets me back into playing games I'd put down. xchasemoney post cod game on youtube but he also has an AC: brotherhood walkthru. It got me motivated to return to the game which had lay unplayed for six months.

staying with deadspace 2. I gave up on the hard to the core trophy. I suppose I could of sat there with my laptop to my side seeing what was next but the game looses it's fun factor.
    FML

Nope, nothing

Well it depends really, certain games I will use a walkthrough others I wont

Take Dark Souls for example, there's no way I will use one for this, it would make the element of surprise and learning from your mistakes kind of pointless if you knew what was round the corner.

But with games like Final Fantasy I do use them, or at least play the game and then use one on the second playthrough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast