Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Use of Walkthroughs

This is a discussion on Use of Walkthroughs within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; jus wondering if you guys use them. personally i find them very useful and use them alot. most effective is ...

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

Use of Walkthroughs

jus wondering if you guys use them. personally i find them very useful and use them alot. most effective is when im playing game where i dont know what im supposed to be doing games like borderlands (main missions got lost for me because of all the quests from online play) and also tough games which tells you what to do to make it easier. too many time ive had moments where i was like WTF am i supposed to do now???. also do you think this site will ever get them? may not be as popular as trophy guides but it would be helpful for people that need them. just my two cents.

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

On the edge

I use them only if I have tried everything that I can think of and still remain stuck....

It has been brought up many times and there have even been a walkthrough posted from time to time but they never end up staying or get a section approved for them.

I think that a walkthrough section would be great for the site because there is no such thing as too much info for games.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I do use them every now and then. Especially in times of great need. Still trying to get through a certain area in WKC.. They do come in handy but I find relying on them too much..ruins the game. If I can't solve it after a few tries..its google and walkthroughs..or youtube for help haha.
    All credit goes to Athena
    Got last.fm? http://www.last.fm/user/Metal_Queen666
    All credit goes to Auburn

Legendary...Nuff Said

I do use them now and again; mostly depends on the game. For some easier ones I'll only use them when I'm stuck, but for some games that I'm really interested in I might sneak a peek at some info before the game comes out (i.e. if the game is multi-region). I do seem to pick up some hate for "excessive" use of walkthroughs for certain games (looks at Helyx) but I can play and enjoy a game how I want to and no one is going to stop me.

I do agree with Chris though, it'd be cool to see a walkthroughs section; maybe similar to trophy guides in which one person is assigned to write a walkthrough for a specific game. Would be a cool addition, if possible.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

An old-fashioned cowboy

I think for the past few years I've only used a walkthrough like 3 times, for God of War, God of War II, and Green Lantern Rise of the Manhunters. I used a video walkthrough for Green Lantern, mainly because I was in a rush to finish it. I tried using a video walkthrough for God of War but I felt the guy doing the walkthrough wasn't doing a good job so I resorted to a written walkthrough.

I think walkthroughs are a great resource to have but should not be used all the time cause part of the fun of playing a game is solving things yourself.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I would actually love a walk through section and would welcome it openly.

I am not one of those people who thinks you should play a game by yourself, completely isolated from the entire world, and that if you use a video, text guide, ask a friend, or (remember this one?) call a hotline, that you are any less of a gamer. If you are stuck, or losing to an enemy that you can't beat after a dozen or so tries of attempting it - use the technology available. You're not ruining your experience unless you read the whole damn thing ahead of time. That's why you use cntl + f and look at sections. It's not like if you use speed dial with your friends phone numbers that you are any less of a friend because you don't memorize their numbers.

Sometimes the descriptions for a trophy just aren't enough, and a bit extra is needed. I find often times that quite a number of the descriptions on the trophies on this site leave a lot to be desired. Anything that makes things more helpful is a bonus in my book and keeps you from needing to print extra maps, or keep a bunch of tabs open on your browser for certain things. Even something like having the trophies in a timeline would work a bit better in favor than what we have now.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Regional Manager of War

Usually my first play through is my play through no walk through because I want my own experience with the game not someone elses. Now if Im looking for collectables that have no relation to the story ofcourse I result to a guide it saves me time and frustration.

O_o

Not the first time I playthrough a game, I don't wanna ruin anythng. .

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I rarely ever use online walkthroughs, but I buy a lot of strategy guides and use them.

PRO Member

Mostly if I get stuck and don't know what to do and for collectibles. I had to use a walkthrough a lot for elite in Killzone 2. for an Idea to know were good cover was. It was still very hard to do even knowing were cover was.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Lvl 6 - Silver

I use them sometimes but only if im really stuck in a section or I use guides for collectables and stuff like that. No way I could find all the feathers in Assassins Creed 2 without one.

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider

Lvl 6 - Silver

rarely use them, and only really use them for games like Final Fantasy to find out all the cool secrets, never use them to progress through the game.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'll use a guide if I'm stuck in an area but I always have a guide up when I play Grandia because its useful to help find all the items considering most of the areas are confusing

Prometheus stole fire from Zeus, I'm stealing his thunder

A plat a month!

I tend to use them when I get stuck in games, and can't think of a way thru. Lately I've been using walkthrus for Castlevania or Mass Effect 2 (finding upgrades and whatnot)

PRO Member

nope i don't think i have used walkthroughs since i got my PS3 may have used 3 or so when i was really stuck playing games on my PS2 though

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

PRO Member

I'm not ashamed to say I always use guides for BS trophies like collectibles. Who wants to wander around for hours on end looking for the stupid things that have little to no impact on the storyline?

I try not to use guides for the main plot of the game as it does ruin the fun and surprise for me but, if i'm stuck... you bet your i'll refer to a guide. I honestly prefer written guides with images over video guides too.

Platinum Dohvakiin

I use to use Walkthroughs a lot for the PS2. Now not so much. I still use them, just not nearly as much as I use too. There are still a few games I still use a WT for. Games like Demon's Souls for instance. Knowing where the enemies are, isn't going to stop you from dying a lot in that game.
    Plus with Youtube being around. What people consider a 'walkthrough' has changed a little. When it comes to collectibles. Youtube is my Dearest and Closest Friend in the Whole Wide World! Using one doesn't make you any less of gamer. In all honesty, sometimes using one is your only option. When your lost and confuse like sh*t. Instead of walking around going "WTF am I suppose to be doing". Pull up youtube and find out.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 6 - Silver

First play through no walkthrough Second time round I use walkthrough to clean up any trophies

WHO DAT!!!!

i love the guides available for the games, my hat goes off to all the people that take the time to provide that for you. I never use guides on the first playthru, but i have to use the info and do the research to get the plat!!!!! ps3t and youtube on my iphone FTW.....plurring.....platinum

Me & Ming @ The Stash

I would like to see the implementation of walkthroughs here on the site. Written and or video. I do get stuck from time to time & have to go search you tube or google it. I don't see what the big deal would be with adding them. When it's time for a trophy guide calling, have a walkthrough guide calling also. There's a Trophy Guide Team, why not a Walkthrough Guide Team?

Awesomeness thanks to:Thunder for platbar | Bladia for sig | Sigs & Beyond

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast