12gb ps3 upgrading

This is a discussion on 12gb ps3 upgrading within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi all. Im planing to upgrade my 12gb ps3 with 500 gb hd.I know i need 2.5 SATA hd and ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

12gb ps3 upgrading

Hi all.
    Im planing to upgrade my 12gb ps3 with 500 gb hd.I know i need 2.5 SATA hd and a mountain bracket.So question is, after i put a new hd inside ps3,i turn ps3 on,follow the screen guide and after data is transfered from flash memory to new hd can i normaly use it? I saw some people saying u need to do data backup before upgrading it, or format something with usb, i dont know...Thats confusing...I dont know why to do any backup cuz now i dont even have hd inside ps3, cuz it uses flash memory...And what about trophies? Do they just load themself on new hard drive after i log in to my psn account?
    Thats all, i hope someone can help me
    Thanks.

La Mano de Dios

You really need to backup before upgrading it. In Settings, look for the Backup / Restore Option, do a Backup in another HDD (FAT Formatted) and then proceed to do the switch. Some games saves may be store in a USB flash drive (some others can't be copied). Don't worry about trophies. Just synch with PSN, you don't lose them.

Hope it helps

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer_92 View Post
    Hi all.
    Im planing to upgrade my 12gb ps3 with 500 gb hd.I know i need 2.5 SATA hd and a mountain bracket.So question is, after i put a new hd inside ps3,i turn ps3 on,follow the screen guide and after data is transfered from flash memory to new hd can i normaly use it? I saw some people saying u need to do data backup before upgrading it, or format something with usb, i dont know...Thats confusing...I dont know why to do any backup cuz now i dont even have hd inside ps3, cuz it uses flash memory...And what about trophies? Do they just load themself on new hard drive after i log in to my psn account?
    Thats all, i hope someone can help me
    Thanks.
    You'll just need to install the new HDD and follow on screen instructions.Here's source...Playstation.com

Be sure to sync your trophies before you upgrade to the new HDD and you won't lose any of your trophies. After installing the new HDD just sync again and they should all be there.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks alot guys
    So i really dont need to do any backup before upgrading HDD, just synch trophies, no problem.
    Thanks again

illegal in 9 countries

Thanks alot guys
    So i really dont need to do any backup before upgrading HDD, just synch trophies, no problem.
    Thanks again
    Backup your Game Saves to a USB memory stick to be on the safe side.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Backup your Game Saves to a USB memory stick to be on the safe side.
    I dont understand, what if i skip this backup, will everything work properly?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Everything will work fine but you will loose all of your game data.

Purger

There will be no problems but you may loose your game saves should something go wrong, meaning your progress on all the games you've played will be lost.

You may have to start afresh on any game you intend to continue after the upgrade if the saves get corrupted.

Don't confuse your game data and your game saves, they are different.

SIG Concocted by ROBO3AG13

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper_0 View Post
    Everything will work fine but you will loose all of your game data.
    That's not entirely true. He's not switching out one HDD for another HDD. He has the 12GB flash drive ps3 that will transfer over the save files from the flash to the new HDD unless something goes wrong. If you have a spare USB it won't hurt to backup your saves on it like ant1th3s1s suggested as a extra precaution.

Should be as simple as this if all goes well...

Once you install a hard disk drive and power on your 12GB PS3, you will be prompted to format the hard drive and copy the contents from the internal flash memory over to it.

Once this process is complete the internal flash memory will be disabled and hard drive will become the sole form of internal storage.
    Complete the setup process:

1.With the hard disk installed, turn on the PlayStation 3 system.
    2.A message will appear asking if you want to change the location of where you save your data from flash memory to hard disk. Select 'Yes" and press the X button icon button.
    3.Select "Yes" and press the X button icon button again to confirm that all data on the hard disk will be erased before the data on the flash drive will be copied over to it.
    4.The content from flash memory is copied over. DO NOT turn off your system during this step.
    5.The database is rebuilt on the hard disk. DO NOT turn off your system during this step.

Once the database is rebuilt, the process is complete. Now the installed hard drive is the primary storage device for downloaded software, apps, and game saves.
    You can confirm the amount of space available by doing the following:

From the XMB, go to Settings icon (Settings).
    Then, go down to System Settings icon (System Settings).
    Finally, scroll down to System Information and press the X button icon button.

Here you will see the amount of available space and total space on your hard disk.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

Lvl 7 - Gold

sync the trophies before removing the hard drive and then when you get the new hard drive just use the same username and password and after sync again you will have all the trophies

Cops vs Robbers Rangers??

word of wise is if you did anything on the 12 GB drive you should do a backup to make it simpler when you get the 500GB or 1TB, it also makes it faster to do if you can delete things like DLC or games before you do the backup it will be faster, also there are a ton of install videos on youtube too I went from a 320GB to a 1TB and backed all my saves, just remember to do a trophy sync before you do anything or you will lose any trophies that you got. once you get your new HDD in you can reinstall your DLC, games, and saves plus your trophies to the new HDD.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Wow thanks for helping guys.I really dont care if i lose any game data, i will just install it again on a new HDD, even if i lose all save data its not problem because i dont intend to play those games again..Reason i want to upgrade my HDD is because i want to play games like GTA 5,GT6, download things from PS store and i cant do that with my 12 gb ps3..I only do care about trophies but u already explained just to synch them before upgrading HDD..So if my HDD will work without any backup and trophies will be there if i synch them before upgrading to my new HDD this is all i needed to know.Hopefully

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I also heard that i need firmware on a new HDD?