Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Why I Don't Want A Final Fantasy VII Remake:

This is a discussion on Why I Don't Want A Final Fantasy VII Remake: within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The real problem with redoing FF7. Is the fact that SE would have to completely rewrite the story. Because as ...

  1. #21
    Platinum Dohvakiin
    platzreign's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    This Side of Hell
    Posts
    938
    Reputation
    57

    The real problem with redoing FF7. Is the fact that SE would have to completely rewrite the story. Because as it stands now. FF7 is a decent story. Because it isn't articulated. If they used the story as it is written now. FF7 would get horrible reviews. Because all the character flaws in FF7 will be way more profound.
    Like the fact than none of the Heroes have anything beyond superficial development. The most developed character in the entire game is the villain Sephiroth. Which as it is now. Is ok, because since you read FF7, it's not that noticeable.
    But once you start adding voice actors to FF7. You have a completely different game and story. What only a few people seem to have noticed. Will become way more abundantly clear. And that is FF7 isn't about Cloud at all. It's about Sephiroth.
    FF7 was a good game for it's time. But if they kept the story as it stands. And used it today, FF7 would bomb, bad. SE would have to completely rewrite FF7 for it to work in today's market. Which wouldn't make it FF7. It would make it a new FF game all together. A game most people would hate. Because it wouldn't be the 'same' game. But if SE made the same game. It would still get the same amount of hate. Because that story in today's market. Will not work.
    FF7 Fan boys/girls. Can call me crazy or whatever. But the fact remains. You can't make that game with that story with voice actors. And it be a success. If they change the story in the slightest. It won't be a success. Because the fan boys/girls. Will hate it. Remaking FF7 is a lose/lose. And SE knows that. People can argue all they want that a remake would sell millions of copies. But selling millions of copies and it being a good game. Are two different things.

    Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide


    Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW




  2. #22
    \(^o^)/ (・。・)
    cocoasg's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    693
    Reputation
    59

    Actually, in my honest opinion, remaking Final Fantasy VII, as already said by Minarum, is actually a very smart economic move for Square Enix, and will make returns on this enormous investment a thousand times over.

    Square Enix cannot afford to devote its resources to such an gigantic project at this time, yes, but on the other hand, being made into a long-term project, lasting over 5-7 years, or no matter how long it takes, multi-tasking between this and other future Square Enix games becomes a real possibility.

    And at the end of it all, it will become a major blockbuster hit, not only because old fans want a taste of what FFVII is like in the future, but because it is reminiscent of how technology has improved by leaps and bounds. As long as the incredible story of Cloud and Co. remains intact, it becomes a beautiful mix of storytelling and modern vision.

    You will not believe just how popular FFVII still is nowadays. In some places, no, but here, it is still talked about. I myself would love to own both versions of FFVII, the old PSX one (which I already have) and the futuristic remake. I still shiver with anticipation on what sales would be like when the FFVII remake finally comes into reality; it would skyrocket through the roof and set the bar even higher for RPG's to come. =3

    We will just have to wait, and see.
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |


  3. #23
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    Moondog's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    599
    Reputation
    15

    i would love to see FF7 remade in HD but only the graphics and nothing else changed, imagine how cool Golden Saucer would look with the Square-Einx graphics of today

  4. #24
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    New York Comic-Con ended 3 days ago, Look what isn't sold out (never sold out, to my knowledge) and is still available.
    https://ssl.square-enix-shop.com/SqE...productId=1131


    I have an import store that sells stuff at very cheap prices down by my place that I have frequented for over 18 years, I imported a lot of PS1 titles there. They have the same ugly as heck Final Fantasy VII Aeris, Red XIII, and Cloud figures hanging there they always did for $15 a pop. I'll admit that the FFVII: Advent Children sales were amazing, totaling close to $13 million USD worldwide between the DVD and BluRay sales. But that doesn't mean that all of it's figurines have gone on to be major successes, the last time I went to AnimeExpo I was still able to see a few dozen Cloud/Fenrir figures in numerous dealers booths at various prices. So it's not exactly as if everything Square Enix releases sells out instantly, or even better than other Final Fantasy items for that matter (from what I know as a mild collector, the prized possessions are actually Final Fantasy X-2 merchandise of all games).
    San Diego CC's FF7 stuff is always sold out. I've gone to it the past 5 years and it's always sold out. Yes it's crazy expensive but it sells. You can get almost anything else you want with no problem. And yah I know about getting the same stuff for cheaper. I do it all the time .

    Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    The real problem with redoing FF7. Is the fact that SE would have to completely rewrite the story. Because as it stands now. FF7 is a decent story. Because it isn't articulated. If they used the story as it is written now. FF7 would get horrible reviews. Because all the character flaws in FF7 will be way more profound.
    Like the fact than none of the Heroes have anything beyond superficial development. The most developed character in the entire game is the villain Sephiroth. Which as it is now. Is ok, because since you read FF7, it's not that noticeable.
    But once you start adding voice actors to FF7. You have a completely different game and story. What only a few people seem to have noticed. Will become way more abundantly clear. And that is FF7 isn't about Cloud at all. It's about Sephiroth.
    FF7 was a good game for it's time. But if they kept the story as it stands. And used it today, FF7 would bomb, bad. SE would have to completely rewrite FF7 for it to work in today's market. Which wouldn't make it FF7. It would make it a new FF game all together. A game most people would hate. Because it wouldn't be the 'same' game. But if SE made the same game. It would still get the same amount of hate. Because that story in today's market. Will not work.
    FF7 Fan boys/girls. Can call me crazy or whatever. But the fact remains. You can't make that game with that story with voice actors. And it be a success. If they change the story in the slightest. It won't be a success. Because the fan boys/girls. Will hate it. Remaking FF7 is a lose/lose. And SE knows that. People can argue all they want that a remake would sell millions of copies. But selling millions of copies and it being a good game. Are two different things.
    The only thing I agree with is what is in bold. It's not about Seph, but about the history and the story of all of the characters, also voice acting ruins most games anyways... Look at FF13, it's HORRIBLE... But as for the re-releasing the same story in today's market... Have you played 90% of the games released in today's market? The story is very lacking in most games. I don't see that being a problem in the least bit. But I do see them making changes in the story to accommodate the times, which I personally don't see a problem with. My only request or beef is to keep the gameplay the same and possibly give the option to skip summoning cut scenes lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    I still shiver with anticipation on what sales would be like when the FFVII remake finally comes into reality; it would skyrocket through the roof and set the bar even higher for RPG's to come. =3
    Heh, FF7 on PSN sold around 200,000 in no time at all. But how many times have you heard the reason people don't play FF1-9 because of the graphics.... All too often.

  5. #25
    Stop looking at me swan!
    Zeiharu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    261
    Reputation
    48

    The main reason I wouldn't want to see a remake is mainly for the pure fact that it'll most likely be re-written due to the fact of what they added in Crisis Core. Kind of hard to get around the fact that they added Angeal and Genesis. I would really just like to see a pure remake with a little extra if they wanted to, but I'd hate to see what was originally written to be changed to add Angeal and Genesis.

    Though in the end I would probably still get it regardless of the outcome.

  6. #26
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    The only thing I agree with is what is in bold. It's not about Seph, but about the history and the story of all of the characters, also voice acting ruins most games anyways... Look at FF13, it's HORRIBLE... But as for the re-releasing the same story in today's market... Have you played 90% of the games released in today's market? The story is very lacking in most games. I don't see that being a problem in the least bit. But I do see them making changes in the story to accommodate the times, which I personally don't see a problem with. My only request or beef is to keep the gameplay the same and possibly give the option to skip summoning cut scenes lol.
    FFXIII's voice acting isn't horrible, it's actually pretty well done (specially the lip sync). My only complain would be the annoying voice of Vanille, but the rest is a top-notch production, unlike FFX's and most of FFXII's.

    The fact that most of today's stories suck won't make FFVII's any better, but I get your point. Most people nowadays look after games focused mainly on gameplay and not on the story.

    If they gave you the ability to skip part of the summoning cutscenes in FFXIII (albeit not all of them ), I don't see why they wouldn't let you do so in a remake.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  7. #27
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    FFXIII's voice acting isn't horrible, it's actually pretty well done (specially the lip sync). My only complain would be the annoying voice of Vanille, but the rest is a top-notch production, unlike FFX's and most of FFXII's.
    See, I thought Vanille was fine. Hope was the worst, followed closely by Snow and Sazh imo... Lip syncing I'd say it was great. I just don't feel voice acting should be in most games, It just doesn't sound right in most cases unless it's done right. Hope alone made watching a lot of cutscenes unbearable.. In the new PSN trailer... It seems to have gotten worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    The fact that most of today's stories suck won't make FFVII's any better, but I get your point. Most people nowadays look after games focused mainly on gameplay and not on the story.
    Agreed, but one thing. Besides platz... who says the story sucks? It was good enough to spawn 2 movies, 3+ games, etc... Between the game, and the multiple spin-offs. The story is almost complete and is bad ass imo.

    But going back on the summons lol.. I loved the cutscenes and they were great but damn.... They definitely made it a point to make you wait. It made a 20min fight into a 1-2 hour fight(Ruby)...

    And on a side note. I'm still waiting for the sequel to finish Genesis' story....

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeiharu View Post
    The main reason I wouldn't want to see a remake is mainly for the pure fact that it'll most likely be re-written due to the fact of what they added in Crisis Core. Kind of hard to get around the fact that they added Angeal and Genesis. I would really just like to see a pure remake with a little extra if they wanted to, but I'd hate to see what was originally written to be changed to add Angeal and Genesis.

    Though in the end I would probably still get it regardless of the outcome.
    CC was about Zach's story and how he came to be... Don't see them making changes when it comes to that aspect unless they go more into the past. Either way, Angeal and Genesis was the bomb . "The world needs a new hero"

  8. #28
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    Aratark's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Normally at work
    Posts
    88
    Reputation
    4

    For me, I'd happily have them re-release it with very few changes for the PS3. Pretty much all I'd want would be for the summons to be graphically updated. Loved what they did with them, and KotR in an updated format would be pretty much enough on it;s own for me to buy it.
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

    YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

  9. #29
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    Convic~1221's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    all over the world
    Posts
    14
    Reputation
    0

    i would love for them to re-release FFVII not re-make its great as is and i think it would be uber epic lol i know. really thou some classic games would be a good idea to update. with the youth watchin pointless cartoons and some just plain boring games it would be a nice change.
    YOU WON'T LIKE ME IM ANGRY!!!

  10. #30
    Stop looking at me swan!
    Zeiharu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    261
    Reputation
    48

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    CC was about Zach's story and how he came to be... Don't see them making changes when it comes to that aspect unless they go more into the past. Either way, Angeal and Genesis was the bomb . "The world needs a new hero"
    Yeah, I don't mind them as characters at all, but I did think they were sort of random when compared to VII. Though there are parts when Zack does get mentioned in VII that could possibly lead to them, and even Sephiroth had a history with them. However you are right, it depends on how much further they would want to dive into the past. If they ever rewrite/remake it that is.

  11. #31
    Platinum Dohvakiin
    platzreign's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    This Side of Hell
    Posts
    938
    Reputation
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Agreed, but one thing. Besides platz... who says the story sucks? It was good enough to spawn 2 movies, 3+ games, etc... Between the game, and the multiple spin-offs. The story is almost complete and is bad ass imo.
    I never said the story sucked. I said the story was told from the wrong point of view. The story is decent. The characters are flawed and superficial. The only fully developed character in the entire game is Sephiroth. Everybody else is only developed as far as supporting cast.
    But since you read FF7 for the most part. SE can get away with that. But if you told that exact same story with voice actors. Then it would suck. Because it all will be way more obvious. It's like reading a good book. Then watching the movie. In most cases in order for the movie to be as good as the book. You have to tweak the story. A revamped FF7 will have to be tweaked.

    Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide


    Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW




  12. #32
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    soulless94's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan, United States
    Posts
    255
    Reputation
    4

    personally, i don't see a valid reason for any HD Remakes of PS1 games to be done because remakes are only here in the first place because they realized their mistake (too late) of ripping backwards compatibility apart (or they thought it'd be a way to scam more money out of the people who, like me, became desperately lost after this immoral act)...which if they'd fix the problem like i asked them to (in 2008, when i got my ps3), we wouldn't be having to ask for or talk about HD Remakes today
    ---
    (if you feel the way i do about this)
    Group - PS2 Backwards Compatibility

    {i don't know how to make that a link, you'll have to find it on your own}
    Add me if you want (soulless94), as long as you don't randomly delete me for no reason
    If I randomly add you, it's because you're awesome...wanted an answer? There it is. =]
    -----
    Cops don't protect against mugging, abuse, or grand theft. I thought you should know how great your "protectors" are.
    -----
    Myanimelist - Ryxia6392

  13. #33
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    I never said the story sucked. I said the story was told from the wrong point of view. The story is decent. The characters are flawed and superficial. The only fully developed character in the entire game is Sephiroth. Everybody else is only developed as far as supporting cast.
    But since you read FF7 for the most part. SE can get away with that. But if you told that exact same story with voice actors. Then it would suck. Because it all will be way more obvious. It's like reading a good book. Then watching the movie. In most cases in order for the movie to be as good as the book. You have to tweak the story. A revamped FF7 will have to be tweaked.
    Ahh sorry for misreading. But I agree for the most part. Of course they'd tweak it. My main concern would be the voice actors. I don't agree with voice actors being in games for the most part. They'll either make it or break it, and since we already have a feel for what some of the characters sound like in FF7 AC, might as well use them or people that sound close enough . But as for character development, that's part of the reason for all of the spin off movies and games. So that we get a view on where everyone came from and how they became to be...

    As for the movie/book comparison. I can't stand reading books anyways. I rather watch the movie version .
    Last edited by Minarum; 10-19-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling error

  14. #34
    Platinum Dohvakiin
    platzreign's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    This Side of Hell
    Posts
    938
    Reputation
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Ahh sorry for misreading. But I agree for the most part. Of course they'd tweak it. My main concern would be the voice actors. I don't agree with voice actors being in games for the most part. They'll either make it or break it, and since we already have a feel for what some of the characters sound like in FF7 AC, might as well use them or people that sound close enough . But as for character development, that's part of the reason for all of the spin off movies and games. So that we get a view on where everyone came from and how they became to be...

    As for the movie/book comparison. I can't stand reading books anyways. I rather watch the movie version .
    It's ok. A lot of people assume that I hate the FF7 story. And I really do not hate it. It's just as it stands now. It's from the wrong perspective.

    The thing about voice actors making and breaking a game. IS true. I'm not wholeheartedly against them. But in some cases. I have to question the choices. Ezio comes to mind. I can't stand his voice, period. His accent is just beyond annoying. He sounds like Mario trying to be a pimp.

    With them using the same voice actors from FF7. I can agree with. Because for the most part. That's what they 'sound like' to us.

    The whole thing about the spin offs is true. For the most part the reason for all of them. Was to develop their characters more. But if they did that in the actual game. Than FF7 wouldn't be Sephiroth's Story to me. If that makes any sense.

    As for books and movies. I read a lot more books. Than I watch movies. And I've watched a hell of a lot of movies. But as a child I had dyslexia real bad. Until one of my teachers started me reading books. The more I was able to manage my dyslexia.

    Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide


    Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW




  15. #35
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    The whole thing about the spin offs is true. For the most part the reason for all of them. Was to develop their characters more. But if they did that in the actual game. Than FF7 wouldn't be Sephiroth's Story to me. If that makes any sense.

    As for books and movies. I read a lot more books. Than I watch movies. And I've watched a hell of a lot of movies. But as a child I had dyslexia real bad. Until one of my teachers started me reading books. The more I was able to manage my dyslexia.
    I figure the game would of been much longer and it should of not have started on the train ride to Midgar to blow up the mako reactor if they expanded it more. But that's the whole point to building a character's secret past of who they are. The spin-offs were just a bonus to those who loved the game.

    I honestly don't mind if they do a remake or not. I'd like to have one, but it's not necessary. I just find it funny some people say they will never remake it, when that's most likely wrong. Maybe not for Ps3-5, but for Vita, or another handheld/console down the road. I see it happening. It won't be in FF7 AC standards as far as graphics, but upgraded or tweaked gameplay and stuff. Definitely. Which is why I will defend the notion for a remake because with today's society, the chances are extremely high for a game that caliber to be remade eventually. Not what I am waiting for and expect in a few years or shorter, is the sequel to DOC...

    Toggle Spoiler



    Even though game sales sucked, I want and expect that sequel... Genesis and Angeal became some of my favorite characters, I wanna know what happens next for Genesis!

    But ya, I'm a huge movie buff... That's the only thing I'll watch on tv. But sucks about dyslexia.. I knew a few people with it and it's rough. I don't have it and I still won't read a book unless it interests me greatly. Besides the resistance book that was released, I think the last book I read willingly was Shiloh... (I love Beagles, I own 2 ). That was a good 15-20 years ago.

  16. #36
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    Jeankarlo's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Posts
    68
    Reputation
    3

    i would be happy if SE JUST upscale the game to 1080p, i cant imagine the part of Don Cornelio with FF13 graphics


  17. #37
    Lvl 2 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    70
    Reputation
    1

    You raise some really good points. But if there is a chance that a remake could be amazing, then I'll take that chance. And I hope that Square-Enix takes that chance. If it's released and it's horrible, who cares. We still have the untouched original that we can play. A remake wouldn't replace the original game. So as long as there is a slight chance it would be awesome, I'm game for it.

    Bottom line: I want a remake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO