Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why I Don't Want A Final Fantasy VII Remake:

This is a discussion on Why I Don't Want A Final Fantasy VII Remake: within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I first started writing this as a response in the FFXHD re-release thread, but I feel this is a topic ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Why I Don't Want A Final Fantasy VII Remake:

I first started writing this as a response in the FFXHD re-release thread, but I feel this is a topic that can stand on its own. So if you donít mind letting me stand on a soap box for a momentÖ

There's no question it's one of my favorite games of all time. It might actually be my #1 still.

For me, Final Fantasy VII is like a classic novel (I know that sounds silly but hear me out) and if Square decides to create a new modern version of its story, it would be a complete bastardization of the source material. Why do I think that? Because I absolutely could not stand everything about Advent Children. Its like the only thing that movie had to say was "OMG LOOK HOW BADASS WE MADE ALL THESE CHARACTERS". It was completely soulless, like they were trying too hard to be cool. And I fear that's the direction the remake would take. These weren't the characters I had imagined when I played the original game. And that's probably my fault.

See, as revolutionary as VII was for its presentation and production, it was still very limited in context of what can be done now. There was no voice acting. The character design and animation in-game was very simple (lol giant block arms!). There were few actual cutscenes (only those CGI ones). The audio quality of the music sounded hollow and tin can-y. The story translation was confusing and contained numerous grammatical errors... The list goes on.

But all of these limitations combined to add a layer of what I like to describe as a "slight cartoonish goofiness" to the whole game and its characters. It was charming and that's what continues to appeal to me when I play the game today. It's not just about the charm too. This style somehow made it seem a little more okay that Cloud is able to wield a massive broad sword that's twice his size with toothpick-like ease. Now when I saw Cloud do that in Advent Children, rendered in gritty, realistic, high-definition detail, I thought it looked stupid. Laughable.

I'm not only talking about how the characters look, but how they act. It comes back to the novel/book comparison. Because of the game's limitations you (or I) still kind of had to fill in some of the visual blanks of the story, just like reading a book. Look at the game's lack of voice acting and detailed animation for example. It's up to the player's mind to imagine how the characters really move, talk and act: those subtle gestures and inflections in their speech that enhance the character's personality. Maybe with what I had in my head, I found the game to not be quite as deadly serious in tone as others probably did and that might describe part of why I was so turned off by Advent Children.

Different interpretations aside, I still don't think a remake would work. I feel like the game's story was tailor made to fit that "slight cartoonish goofiness" that the PS1 game had. If that same story was told with serious realism, like Advent Children, I can't help but think about how completely absurd it would all be and not in a cool way. Soulless. An HD upgrade with none of the passion of the original project.

But maybe that's what most fans want. Maybe this is all just me. And maybe this was all just a really, really, really complicated way of describing how some people feel when they see a movie and say "Well, it wasn't neeearly as good as the book".

Anyway, I just wanted to share that and I hope I'm not alone. Final Fantasy VII is an important game to me and remake or not, I'll always have the original classic as well as my memories.

So, uh, thoughts?

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

The Deathly Rhythm

FF13 Remake will be cool, i don't know why anybody will not like it, I just hope the gameplay is the same as the classic one though, I feel like they are going to change it
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by CapnKoala View Post
    I first started writing this as a response in the FFXHD re-release thread, but I feel this is a topic that can stand on its own. So if you don’t mind letting me stand on a soap box for a moment…

There's no question it's one of my favorite games of all time. It might actually be my #1 still.

For me, Final Fantasy VII is like a classic novel (I know that sounds silly but hear me out) and if Square decides to create a new modern version of its story, it would be a complete bastardization of the source material. Why do I think that? Because I absolutely could not stand everything about Advent Children. Its like the only thing that movie had to say was "OMG LOOK HOW BADASS WE MADE ALL THESE CHARACTERS". It was completely soulless, like they were trying too hard to be cool. And I fear that's the direction the remake would take. These weren't the characters I had imagined when I played the original game. And that's probably my fault.

See, as revolutionary as VII was for its presentation and production, it was still very limited in context of what can be done now. There was no voice acting. The character design and animation in-game was very simple (lol giant block arms!). There were few actual cutscenes (only those CGI ones). The audio quality of the music sounded hollow and tin can-y. The story translation was confusing and contained numerous grammatical errors... The list goes on.

But all of these limitations combined to add a layer of what I like to describe as a "slight cartoonish goofiness" to the whole game and its characters. It was charming and that's what continues to appeal to me when I play the game today. It's not just about the charm too. This style somehow made it seem a little more okay that Cloud is able to wield a massive broad sword that's twice his size with toothpick-like ease. Now when I saw Cloud do that in Advent Children, rendered in gritty, realistic, high-definition detail, I thought it looked stupid. Laughable.

I'm not only talking about how the characters look, but how they act. It comes back to the novel/book comparison. Because of the game's limitations you (or I) still kind of had to fill in some of the visual blanks of the story, just like reading a book. Look at the game's lack of voice acting and detailed animation for example. It's up to the player's mind to imagine how the characters really move, talk and act: those subtle gestures and inflections in their speech that enhance the character's personality. Maybe with what I had in my head, I found the game to not be quite as deadly serious in tone as others probably did and that might describe part of why I was so turned off by Advent Children.

Different interpretations aside, I still don't think a remake would work. I feel like the game's story was tailor made to fit that "slight cartoonish goofiness" that the PS1 game had. If that same story was told with serious realism, like Advent Children, I can't help but think about how completely absurd it would all be and not in a cool way. Soulless. An HD upgrade with none of the passion of the original project.

But maybe that's what most fans want. Maybe this is all just me. And maybe this was all just a really, really, really complicated way of describing how some people feel when they see a movie and say "Well, it wasn't neeearly as good as the book".

Anyway, I just wanted to share that and I hope I'm not alone. Final Fantasy VII is an important game to me and remake or not, I'll always have the original classic as well as my memories.

So, uh, thoughts?
    Well, despite this being all about Final Fantasy, I didn't think for one moment i'd understand.

But reading into it, I can see it's a classic example of "IT JUST ISN'T THE SAME, MAN!".

This is usually the main problem with remakes of anything, but I can honestly say that FF7 doesn't actually need one.

It's a waste of effort really, starting with the fact the game is already years old, and all it's fans will have completed it more than enough times to be done with it. It wouldn't relish in the nostalgia factor if you're looking at a completely different look, it'd put me off!

And the fact you mention how flawed the game was and what you made of it simply puts into motion how fine on it's own the game was, if most others felt the same way about it too, that is.

I honestly don't know what else to say about this; being of course, i've never actually fully played it....

Quote Originally Posted by kratos06 View Post
    FF13 Remake will be cool, i don't know why anybody will not like it, I just hope the gameplay is the same as the classic one though, I feel like they are going to change it
    There are some games that just don't need to be remade. This is probably not one of those, but I wouldn't know.

And it's FF7, you typed 13

PRO Member

Now as one of these silly people who has never played FF7 for more than 5 minutes, I have to agree with you. Personaly I wouldn't buy a "HD" remake or at least not at full price anyway if I was desperate to play the game I'd hunt out the original as thats what made it "magical" to those gamers who played it back in the day.

Also reading the FFXHD "Remake/Remaster" I still find it funny when people state that SE is making the FFX Remake/Remaster so they can then remake FF7. SE to my knowledge have said that there would not be a FF7 remake.

The truth about the Final Fantasy VII remake, Final Fantasy VII PS3 Features | GamesRadar

Final Fantasy VII Remake Confirmed? | Gaming Precision

So like most I would not like a FF7 remake, if they did give in and made FF7 remake for the fan base then the FF8 and 9 fanbase would want one too thus limiting time and funding for new games.

TL;DR - No FF7 remake

The Deathly Rhythm

There are some games that just don't need to be remade. This is probably not one of those, but I wouldn't know.

And it's FF7, you typed 13 [/QUOTE]

Oh Crap, I didn't even know that, I was thinking about 13 when I was typing, If u don't want a FF7 remake, its ur opinion, But I want to play FF7 again in HD
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Mr. X

Great post. As said above it boils down to a case of it just isn't the same. Part of the nostalgia factor with old games is going back to them how they are, reliving those outdated graphics and limitations.

I've got to say if they did remake VII I would most likely buy it but unlike a lot of people I'm not clamouring for a remake. Remakes can work, just look at the Resident Evil Remake; brilliant game. In this case you make a very good point about the goofiness of the original. Think back to scenes like when the dolphin is flipping you up to the tower or Cloud is dressed as a girl. The gritty style of Advent Children wouldn't mesh well with these types of scenes.

I actually think VIII would do better with a gritty remake. There's no real silliness in that game and it's got quite a dark story. That said I still don't think there is any need for one.

Personally I'd like to see them work on restoring some credibility to the Final Fantasy name by making a new game.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

the closest thing people got to a FF7 remake was crisis core nuff said

they are never going to remake this, last thing i wanna hear is comparisons from a ps1 classic to a ps4 remake
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post

they are never going to remake this, last thing i wanna hear is comparisons from a ps1 classic to a ps4 remake
    Yeah, that's one thing I didn't mention: I don't think it'll ever happen either. But man, there are a lot of people who are practically desperate for it, drooling over the slightest whisper of a rumor.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post

CC was the bomb, but I'd never say they will never remake it. I'm sure they will down the road. Maybe not for Ps3, or 4. But it will be remastered and remade.

PRO Member

Even if it is remade for what ever console they decided to do it on, the fans would never be happy and it would never be good enough for them so realy its just a lose-lose situation. Don't remake the game and get abuse from the fanbase or remake the game and get abuse from the fanbase for not making it as magical as the fans want/remember it.

Either way its a doomed project from the start.

Lvl 8 - Gold

I agree, even though FF VII wasn't my favorite. Classics should be left alone.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I agree that a remake wont be as good as the original but I am curious to see how the game would play out with good graphics and voice acting and that is the only changes I would want in the game if they remade it

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment, so bare with me.

I'm not entirely sure your novel comparison, a novel even like Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte when it was originally released was not actually as big of a hit as it was, because it was considered too risque and the language in it was too rough for most designated readers to look past them and focus on the story. It wasn't until after Emily Bronte's death that her sister Charlotte went back and "touched up" the rougher patches of her sister's classic to make it appeal to a wider audience and be more palatable to consumers as a whole that Wuthering Heights became the masterpiece it is today (and one of my favorite novels).

Movies as well have interpretations that I don't necessarily feel work out bad, the modern William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet by Baz Luhrmann put a modern twist on the classic, putting it in the present day, and adding a modern pop soundtrack that made it resonate with a whole new audience in ways that the original piece had major difficulties dealing with. Same can be said with the 1999 version of Titus by Julie Taymor did the same, with using modern cutlery, motorcycles over horses, and other profound vibrant imagery to put a modern take on another timeless classic that reached a whole new demographic.

Most Final Fantasy VII players at this point, have also seen the film spin-off of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and had the characters already voiced for them at this point, and touched up to the modern era. I don't think it would be an experience ruining factor that many fans argue will ruin their original feeling, because at the very least subconsciously, you have already had the done for you. Same can be said with seeing the entire cast in vibrant modernized sprites, because again, that too has been done before. I can't argue against the script, but if you're a truly objective person about - the translation, spelling, grammatical errors of Final Fantasy VII are some of the worst in modern gaming. I don't know how many people (and I apologize for this if you're one of the few it doesn't apply) even are smart enough to pick those up, since it seems like just about everybody makes major English mistakes on a regular basis, and have such a terrible grasp of the language that it would never be caught by the majority of people who play it.

I don't care one way or another if an HD remake gets done of the game, but I also don't see how Square Enix could see at as a set profitable venture for the company. If you think that everybody who has purchased a copy is signed on for the remake, you'd be dead set wrong. I haven't bought a remake that I already own yet, trophies or no trophies, because it doesn't exactly expand my library or appeal to me that the game needs those modern tweaks in order to work.

I also don't see who Square Enix is going to reach as "new fans" in making the project. Will there be some? Absolutely. But the majority of people have their opinion already set on how they feel about Final Fantasy titles and a remake isn't going to suddenly change all of them to instant Final Fantasy fans and people who are going to buy future games of the series. The vast majority of the people who want to play Final Fantasy VII have played it, and the few that think that graphics are what are holding them back - aren't going to go and buy the rest of the titles available on PSN, or Wii Store, or where ever because those titles have the same graphics as their original counterparts.

The reason Square Enix doesn't remake the game, which I am saying for at least the eighth time on this forum, is because it isn't a smart economic move, that will cost a lot of money to make, take people to do the remake that could be making the next Square Enix franchise or installment that brings in the fans the way a Kingdom Hearts or a Final Fantasy VII did for those systems, and does not equal new fans and continued sales. If the game were on the PlayStation 2 and a much simpler process of just tweaking the graphics and adding a new up to date soundtrack were all it took - it would have been done.

In conclusion, make it, don't make it, I really don't care one way or the other, even as the ridiculously rabid Square Enix fan that I am. But try to understand the reasons why Final Fantasy VII hasn't been remade yet, and the reasons why the possibility of it not happening for a while - if not ever - is a real possibility.
    Last edited by Rubicant81; 10-17-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Gab
    Lvl 1 - Bronze

You are right in some points, the game is one of the best of all time and for its generation if not the best maybe? i get your feeling of leaving the way it was originally made too. But! i think theres a reason why they would be trying (HOPEFULLY!) to make the remake.. and its because Majority wins! most of the ppl here and around the world want a remake for different reasons, Square will not hear just your opinion (im not saying you are the only one who thinks like you, im certain there's plenty of ppl with the same idea as you) but most of us would love to play a FFVII Remake HD! trophies maybe? idk.. anything.. but a Remake with everything at the lvl of this generation cause thats what FFVII deserves. It IS yet an awesome game and it deserves an awesome remake.

Also.. maybe Square was aiming higher when they created FFVII you know japaneses are always like 10 step ahead of us hehe. No im serious, maybe they did FFVII with all those "bad looking graphics" first, they had limitations of technology, it was another time, but maybe they had in mind a lot of awesome ideas of how the game will really look. So lets just see if Square do us a favor and released the remake, they have mentioned how difficult it would be to make a remake of an old game like that but i know they can. They have said they need more of the guys that worked with the original game that are busy atm with other projects so lets just pray and wait for it ;D.

That's my thinking! i understand your feeling men. ;D but i would really love a FFVII remake! also think of those guys who haven't played it yet! that dont want to play it on a PS1 or Emulator.. cause of the graphics.. they want it with HD graphics and all ;D!.

Quote Originally Posted by Gab View Post
    That's my thinking! i understand your feeling men. ;D but i would really love a FFVII remake! also think of those guys who haven't played it yet! that dont want to play it on a PS1 or Emulator.. cause of the graphics.. they want it with HD graphics and all ;D!.
    So these are the same "fans" who aren't going to buy the handheld titles, not going to buy the classic versions (which if you Emulate it, you're also not really a fan, you're a thief and a hypocrite like a vast majority of "anime fans" are) so what is the purpose of Square Enix to do this? These are going to equal dollars in their pockets - which at the end of the day, the fans mean only so much as it means to keep them happy enough to keep paying for their titles. If these people aren't going to pay for the titles because "graphics" mean more to them than gameplay, story, soundtrack, experiencing something as it was originally created and intended for, then how the heck are those people going to become fans and purchase titles like Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection or Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions? Short answer, they won't, or if they decide their worth trying - they'll go hack their PSP, illegally download the title, and fuck Square Enix in the ass again for actually "listening to it's fans."

A plat a month!

Although I'd love to see what the PS3 can do with a modernized version of FFVII, I'd like to think that the original would make a mjch better version that any remake SE can come up with.

As a borderline trophy whore though, I would get it for the trophies. I'm planning on getting FFX HD when it comes out, despite my objections over remakes and the fact I didn't care for FFX

Everyone Loves Candy

Everyone has a great input on this.
    I truly wouldn't mind if they did a remake.
    If those that don't like it then don't play it.
    I'd play it in a second.
    Hi Mom!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by [FnG] Unholy Eve View Post
    Even if it is remade for what ever console they decided to do it on, the fans would never be happy and it would never be good enough for them so realy its just a lose-lose situation. Don't remake the game and get abuse from the fanbase or remake the game and get abuse from the fanbase for not making it as magical as the fans want/remember it.

Either way its a doomed project from the start.
    See I agree that your never going to satisfy everyone with what you do, but as far as a doomed project from the start or a lose-lose situation. I don't think so.

And to Rubicant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    The reason Square Enix doesn't remake the game, which I am saying for at least the eighth time on this forum, is because it isn't a smart economic move, that will cost a lot of money to make, take people to do the remake that could be making the next Square Enix franchise or installment that brings in the fans the way a Kingdom Hearts or a Final Fantasy VII did for those systems, and does not equal new fans and continued sales.
    Split the team up, hire more people, or make it a 5-10 year project working on it when you can. I agree it will cost a lot of money to make the game, but it IS a very smart economic move. Like I've said in tons of threads, look at all FF7 related media and games. Anything with FF7's tag on it or characters, sell like hotcakes. You goto Comic-con and see all the FF7 related gear at SE's booth sold out within the first day. Where as everything else isn't.

I won't buy that argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    And to Rubicant.

Anything with FF7's tag on it or characters, sell like hotcakes. You goto Comic-con and see all the FF7 related gear at SE's booth sold out within the first day. Where as everything else isn't.

I won't buy that argument.
    New York Comic-Con ended 3 days ago, Look what isn't sold out (never sold out, to my knowledge) and is still available.
    https://ssl.square-enix-shop.com/SqE...productId=1131

I have an import store that sells stuff at very cheap prices down by my place that I have frequented for over 18 years, I imported a lot of PS1 titles there. They have the same ugly as heck Final Fantasy VII Aeris, Red XIII, and Cloud figures hanging there they always did for $15 a pop. I'll admit that the FFVII: Advent Children sales were amazing, totaling close to $13 million USD worldwide between the DVD and BluRay sales. But that doesn't mean that all of it's figurines have gone on to be major successes, the last time I went to AnimeExpo I was still able to see a few dozen Cloud/Fenrir figures in numerous dealers booths at various prices. So it's not exactly as if everything Square Enix releases sells out instantly, or even better than other Final Fantasy items for that matter (from what I know as a mild collector, the prized possessions are actually Final Fantasy X-2 merchandise of all games).

Lvl 4 - Silver

I couldn't have said it better than the OP. Any remake is not going to live up to the impossible expectations of the fans of the original. Sure, it might still turn out to be a pretty good game, but it will never catch what the original did. I really don't want to see this remade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast