Can you play Japanese games on a US ps3?

This is a discussion on Can you play Japanese games on a US ps3? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; There are some games that are in japan that I would like to get but I don't know if I ...

Lvl 5 - Silver

Can you play Japanese games on a US ps3?

There are some games that are in japan that I would like to get but I don't know if I would be able to play them on my American ps3. I know that I wouldn't be able to get DLC but I just want the games.

Sig by Bladia

illegal in 9 countries

They will work.

While the PS3 is capable of region-locking games (the choice is in the hands of the publisher), there's only one PS3 game ever released that is region-locked - Persona 4 Arena - and that only applies to the US version.

Strictly speaking, there's two region-locked games, the other being Way of the Samurai 3, but only on Slim consoles.

Lvl 5 - Silver

ok, sweet. Thanks for the help

Sig by Bladia

illegal in 9 countries

I forgot to mention, you can buy and use the DLC, but you'll need a Japanese PSN account to do it.
    Obviously, the ability to read the language would be beneficial.

Lvl 5 - Silver

OK. Good to know. It just so happens that I know japanese too. So I guess I could get DLC too. Can you change the accounts region without making a new one?

Sig by Bladia

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by skatingsam96 View Post
    Can you change the accounts region without making a new one?
    Nope. Create a Japanese PSN account and use it for shopping. The games / DLC will work with your main. I have an AU PSN account and frequently buy stuff from US and UK PS Stores, never been a problem.

This applies to PS3 and PS4, Vita works differently. Vita memory cards are essentially account-locked and the PSN id that bought the software is the only account that can use it...at least not without a tonne of dicking around.

In other words, don't buy Japanese Vita games from the Japan PSN Store, they won't work with your US PSN account. Disc-based Vita games however should work fine on a US Vita / PSN account.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Nope. Create a Japanese PSN account and use it for shopping. The games / DLC will work with your main. I have an AU PSN account and frequently buy stuff from US and UK PS Stores, never been a problem.

This applies to PS3 and PS4, Vita works differently. Vita memory cards are essentially account-locked and the PSN id that bought the software is the only account that can use it...at least not without a tonne of dicking around.

In other words, don't buy Japanese Vita games from the Japan PSN Store, they won't work with your US PSN account. Disc-based Vita games however should work fine on a US Vita / PSN account.
    That's true, I have Tales of Innocence R, works like a charm
    I can't get DLC however, not that I mind with a few costumes LOL

Lvl 5 - Silver

Thank you so much for the help guys

Sig by Bladia