Slim PS3 HDD Upgrade Question

This is a discussion on Slim PS3 HDD Upgrade Question within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I was just wondering if it would be worth it for me to pay extra for a 7200 RPM HDD, ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Slim PS3 HDD Upgrade Question

I was just wondering if it would be worth it for me to pay extra for a 7200 RPM HDD, or am I better off just grabbing a 5400 RPM HDD?

Note: I rarely download/install anything from PSN (prefer physical/retail copies whenever possible).

Negator

You're better off with the 5400 RPM HDD.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    You're better off with the 5400 RPM HDD.
    PS3's are designed to run with a 5400 RPM Drive. Forking out for a 7200 or 10000 RPM drive will not net you any noticeable performance increase, and will just lead to your console heating up more.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    PS3's are designed to run with a 5400 RPM Drive. Forking out for a 7200 or 10000 RPM drive will not net you any noticeable performance increase, and will just lead to your console heating up more.
    Thanks Faust, exactly the info I needed to hear . I guess I'll save my money and just buy a bigger 5400 RPM HDD.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler Naruto View Post
    Thanks Faust, exactly the info I needed to hear . I guess I'll save my money and just buy a bigger 5400 RPM HDD.
    Keep in mind the PS3 OS has a hard limit of 1TB for HDD size. It either won't detect larger drives or won't let you use a partition greater than 1TB.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Keep in mind the PS3 OS has a hard limit of 1TB for HDD size. It either won't detect larger drives or won't let you use a partition greater than 1TB.
    Oh, I was just planning on buying a 500GB 5400 RPM HDD for $50.

I doubt I'll need more than that, since I rarely ever download anything from PSN (PS Store).

Lvl 1 - Bronze

My original PS3 fatty YLOD in January, I had upgraded to a WD 5400 RPM 500 GB HDD, gonna get a new PS3 but I'd like some feed back on slim vs super slim. Which is preferable?
    [IMG][/IMG]

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by XxSITHappensxX View Post
    My original PS3 fatty YLOD in January, I had upgraded to a WD 5400 RPM 500 GB HDD, gonna get a new PS3 but I'd like some feed back on slim vs super slim. Which is preferable?
    I'd personally stick with the Slim.

The Super Slim has a manual, top-loading tray, which makes the unit more vulnerable to accidental damage. It also means you can't (well...shouldn't) stand the Super Slim on it's side. Not to mention, it's butt-ugly.

And, if it's of any importance, Superslims aren't as easily modified for CFW and ODEs (both of which allow for much larger 3.5" external HDDs to store & run games), which could be factor down the line when you want play some old PS3 games and Sony no longer supports the device. In that case, the early 120GB and 250GB Slims are the best all-round model.

Cops vs Robbers Rangers??

honestly the slims are so much nicer then the superslims, not only cause the SS is a fugly thing its also cheaply made best example I can think of at this moment is the HDD on the slim is cased so much better then the SS and if you try to upgrade your HDD the SS is a cheap plastic siding that feels like its going to break off and not be able to be put back on.
    now for the actual size for the HDD I thought the system could go as big as a 1.5 TB HDD and be at max (could be wrong or thinking something else) but I did a 1 TB and its a good thing too cause I had the Slim with a 320GB and with all the games and patches/DLC added to my system I would have maxed it out on that tiny 320GB and be close on a 500GB.
    size wise should be based on your gaming type 1 do you buy and plan on keeping stuff on your HDD, 2 how many games do you buy digitally 3 on some games (asscreed) how much GB patch data is there and how much DLC you plan on adding to that (AC4 right now with everything is 9GB big) so just some options out there for ya

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I was leaning towards the slim but Game Stop and Best Buy don't have them in stock any more. I guess Amazon is the way.
    [IMG][/IMG]

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by XxSITHappensxX View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I was leaning towards the slim but Game Stop and Best Buy don't have them in stock any more. I guess Amazon is the way.
    Does Gamestop sell second-hand Slims? I've bought a couple through their Aussie franchise EB Games and they have been faultless.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Yeah but I'm a little leary of getting a used console.
    [IMG][/IMG]