Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Who is Sick and Tired of this Season/Online/DLC Pass Crap?

This is a discussion on Who is Sick and Tired of this Season/Online/DLC Pass Crap? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Admiral_Awesome91 Huh...its pointless getting into this you have one side saying "The online pass doesn't affect me ...

A plat a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Awesome91 View Post
    Huh...its pointless getting into this you have one side saying "The online pass doesn't affect me I buy all my games new blah blah blah" than you have the others side saying "It isn't fair that the put online passes into games not everyone has alot of disposable income to buy games at full retail or a means to buying them online like ebay/amazon. This is a very troublesome topic. All I have to say is we have to deal with it unfortunately.
    I agree. This generation of consoles has seen a revolution of how people interact with games. With the PS2 (at least at launch, and for the most of its life cycle), it started out as a stand alone console. Even though online gaming wasn't its main feature, the PS2 did start to bring gamers online via consoles.

Now that the PS3 is here, and one can say the same thing with the xbox, is that now the core gaming market is online. With that, servers need to be active to host this type of environment, and bandwidth needs to be provided to allow users to connect to conduct gaming. Both of these incur ongoing costs. Who pays for these? The answer to that is those who buy the game. If you go to a retailer like Amazon or Best Buy, and get the game new, you are funding the developers with costs to maintain that hardware and bandwidth. But if I turn around and sell the game I bought, and the buyer goes online, they haven't contributed anything to the developer. Is it fair that the game I bought allows more people to experience the game? I don't think it does, and i'm not against the idea of the PSN pass or online pass for that reason.

The Deathly Rhythm

Yeah I'm with u OP, the passes are getting out of control, I really pissed me of now that they are making Story Passes now like Rage and Batman AC did......Really publishers, i get why the passes were made but some of the games that got passes now there unfinished games and they don't deseve passes, watch in the future when the next consoles come out, when the passes come into games again, even if u buy new they'll still make u pay, and it not might even be 10$
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

Lvl 4 - Silver

Another whining thread the Pass is here, DEAL WITH IT, DLC IS an OPTION...And Just basically deal with it

Sig By Apokolypz

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Wow i love the little kids that post there gay little "u mad bros" and "u suck dick LOL" since there to small minded and insignificant to come up with any valid point or even a meaningful comment, and basically to everyone I notice a lot of people just mentioning one aspect of the topic in there post, the idea is for those the can't figure it out is that between the new online passes, and dlc that comes out a week after the games release, as it was taken out of the original game for the sole intent of milking, is stupid, and to defend it is stupid, as WE are the ones being screwed over. People say "boo hoo the developers need the money from that" bullshit. If you make a game good enough, people will buy it at launch regardless. The big money the developers make from there games is in the first couple of weeks when the games launches. During this couple of weeks, when you see good games AAA titles selling in the 100's of thousands, how many people do you think got a copy used? Maybe less than 1%? Gaming is one of the largest industries right now EASY. Do you have any idea how much money developers AND publishers bring in a year? Online passes are there to get they people who buy the game a few months later, since they can't afford or don't want it off the bat. Why should they have to pay an extra $10 just to play the game they bought? Then there are people saying "get a job bro, lo0l". I have a job, and a bunch of money, thanks, but that doesn't mean i'm going to spend it all on new video games (some of us have lives). I love people that would take a bullet for a devloper. Truth is, I've been playing games a lot longer than a lot of people posting on here, and I've probably played A LOT more games, and invested A LOT more hours, i'm not some noob that bought an xbox to play call of duty, so don't make yourself seem stupid by saying so, thanks.

Bottom line is the corps are testing the consumer, to see how much MORE money we will throw at them, while they give us considerably less. Its hard to buy a new game these days and feel like you've gotten a complete package, when an annoucement comes out saying theres already DLC planned the next week. Thats what you call a "cash grab", or "milking", for the children I mentioned above. Game makers are seeing if they can sell us less, and charge us more, and some of you out there are to blind to see this, and as a result, it will just keep getting worse. But I guess some of you out there are okay with throwing away more money than you have to for things? I don't know what more to say about this, more than likely in the future all games that have season/online passes or whatever attached to them, I'll just avoid altogether, or buy second hand. To hell with paying $100 to get a COMPLETE game. I'm done posting in this particular thread and don't plan on visiting it anymore, but I encourage everyone else to go to town on it, thanks for listening.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

i never buy dlc, waste of money. i sell my games after finishing them and cant sell dlc so its useless to me. that said i have bought a couple goty editions- oblivion fallout 3 borderlands- much better bang for the buck since youre paying less for dlc and it comes complete on the game disc for the most part

You weak azz niggs

Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Vision View Post
    Wow i love the little kids that post there gay little "u mad bros" and "u suck dick LOL" since there to small minded and insignificant to come up with any valid point or even a meaningful comment, and basically to everyone I notice a lot of people just mentioning one aspect of the topic in there post, the idea is for those the can't figure it out is that between the new online passes, and dlc that comes out a week after the games release, as it was taken out of the original game for the sole intent of milking, is stupid, and to defend it is stupid, as WE are the ones being screwed over. People say "boo hoo the developers need the money from that" bullshit. If you make a game good enough, people will buy it at launch regardless. The big money the developers make from there games is in the first couple of weeks when the games launches. During this couple of weeks, when you see good games AAA titles selling in the 100's of thousands, how many people do you think got a copy used? Maybe less than 1%? Gaming is one of the largest industries right now EASY. Do you have any idea how much money developers AND publishers bring in a year? Online passes are there to get they people who buy the game a few months later, since they can't afford or don't want it off the bat. Why should they have to pay an extra $10 just to play the game they bought? Then there are people saying "get a job bro, lo0l". I have a job, and a bunch of money, thanks, but that doesn't mean i'm going to spend it all on new video games (some of us have lives). I love people that would take a bullet for a devloper. Truth is, I've been playing games a lot longer than a lot of people posting on here, and I've probably played A LOT more games, and invested A LOT more hours, i'm not some noob that bought an xbox to play call of duty, so don't make yourself seem stupid by saying so, thanks.

Bottom line is the corps are testing the consumer, to see how much MORE money we will throw at them, while they give us considerably less. Its hard to buy a new game these days and feel like you've gotten a complete package, when an annoucement comes out saying theres already DLC planned the next week. Thats what you call a "cash grab", or "milking", for the children I mentioned above. Game makers are seeing if they can sell us less, and charge us more, and some of you out there are to blind to see this, and as a result, it will just keep getting worse. But I guess some of you out there are okay with throwing away more money than you have to for things? I don't know what more to say about this, more than likely in the future all games that have season/online passes or whatever attached to them, I'll just avoid altogether, or buy second hand. To hell with paying $100 to get a COMPLETE game. I'm done posting in this particular thread and don't plan on visiting it anymore, but I encourage everyone else to go to town on it, thanks for listening.
    No one cares how long you've been gaming dude. I've gaming for 25+ years myself. Big deal. This type of thread has only been posted thousands of times, at least before the site's remake So it's kind of tiresome to see. And those guys only responded because it appears you belittle people just because they disagree with you, as if they're 'mindless puppets' or something. People are gonna do what they want with their money. Just simply don't pay anything then. It's really that simple.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I completely agree, they're a greedy way to punish the consumer.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Like Grimy, I'm a very long time gamer, hitting 30 years in the next little while and have more than paid my dues. The online pass has been covered multiple times and for someone who seems mentally unable to deal with someone disagreeing with him, maybe you should consider looking at other places to post, maybe some sort of narcissists love-in forum or something?

The day or week one DLC is normally, but not always, part of an SE or CE package, so someone who has bought that gets it at the same time as buying the new game, the same way they do the online pass.

So the point you're making is that because you haven't bought it new and aren't paying your way with regard to the devs, that it's a conspiracy to see you shafted.

Actually, maybe a narcissists forum isn't the place for you, maybe a paranoiacs board may be better.

The companies are there to make money for themselves and their shareholders. In fact, if they don't work in the best interest of their shareholders, the senior officers of the company are actually in breach of their responsibilties. So guess what, they're going to try and make money. The best way for them to do that is to maximise the money they can make on their products. If that includes getting people who have bought a game pre-owned to pay a fee to use online servers, or to release DLC whilst a game is still hot, they're going to do it.

When Sony release their new console, are you going to request that they don't release any other prodcuts that support it in the same week? No controllers, no leads to connect it to your tv or anything? Same thing
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I don't think it's a big issue, most online passes can be bought through PSN. So unless you don't want to fork over the 5-10 dollars for it, you're going to have to deal with it. Only 15% of the games I own implement this feature. I've noticed it more lately but I'd have to imagine that if the trend catches on, the PSN downloadable pass will probably become fairly common.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Breakfast and Chill

You know what? Eat a

I was reading through this thread and thought "Hmm, this could be an interesting discussion." Then you come in and start insulting people who don't agree with your assessment. So seriously, munch on some .

I don't have an issue with this system, want to know why? Because I'm not being fucked over. I've always bought games new... I want developers to get their money so they can afford to make more games. I'll wait for games to go on sale or rent them or watch play-throughs if I'm really not sure about them, but otherwise I'm not going to go out and support Gamestop (or piracy, but that has little to do with this).

Online passes have come and have not changed how I experience my games in anyway because its not costing me any additional money. On the contrary I usually get some free shit when I buy these games.

As far as these season passes/DLC, I don't really care because if I don't want it, I don't buy it. Despite what many gamers claim, DLC is rarely truly a "disc unlock," and for every 1 bad dev/pub out there *coughCapcomcough* nickel and diming it, there are 5 or 6 ones that treat it as supplemental income. I find there is alot of really good DLC out there... Hard EX mode or Behind the Blue Flame for Valkyria Chronicles, The Missing Link for Deus Ex has been amazing thus far, etc.

I love free DLC, like that in Portal 2, but I'm willing to pay for good DLC. Nothing personal, but I'll take 7000 map packs I don't buy for that kind of DLC.

When you say shit like this you come off as one of those assholes who EXPECTS everything to be given to you. You feel entitled. Well, I bought this game, its irrelevant where I bought it and how much I paid... I should never be given the option to buy anything for this game ever again. This is ultimately too why you fail, you are bitching about things that are completely optional. You aren't making some deep point about anything, you are simply saying "Look! This stuff exists! People who like it are idiots!"

When you grow up you'll come to realize that sometimes you have to work for things, and that people should be compensated fairly for their work and talent. At the end of the day, DJ Keyser and Mayus hit the nail on the head.

PRO Member

Is someone going to bitch everytime DLC is announced for a new game? You assume that in a fantastical world where DLC doesn't exist that developers are going to create the extra content for no added revenue. People jump to the conclusion that the game was finished, parts of it were cut out, and those parts were then sold separately. In a few cases, I'm sure that's the case. Usually, this content is created for either 1) a retailer-specific program or 2) to make more MONEY. Yes folks, game companies are in it to make MONEY!

When I purchase a new car, I often have to separately buy optionaladd-ons... even floormats. But wait, the car should have come with them. DLC is completely optional and normally not vital to the story of the game. If you don't want it, don't buy it. Online passes have been argued ad nauseum on this site... they are not going away, nor should they in my opinion.

PRO Member

Are you asking if devs are releasing half-assed games and then making additional revenue on DLC and add-ons that would have been included in years past? I agree this would be a problem but players remember tactics like this and will end up hurting the developer(s) in question.

I buy most of my games new so only the Xretailer that I didn't buy from exclusive content (dlc codes, pre-order bonuses, etc...) isn't included. I see those as just retailer partnerships in an evolving consumer space (online et al)

Anyway, I am content with the state of things but I welcome positive innovation and change.

PRO Member

I do not mind the online pass what i cannot stand is the way dlc has gottin out of hand. I am find with like costumes or weapons, but it has become apparent that some developers are purposly cutting game content and making it dlc just so people will spend more money on there game. I find this extremely ridiculous. It was proven that Treyarch had recently done this with Black Ops. Ascension was supposed to be part of the full retail release, but they cut it and put it in a $15 dlc. That in my opinion is lazy and cheap.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 9 - Gold

man i can't stand people that are willing to bend over and take it without putting up any resistance to this general screwing of us, the consumer, whatsoever, and then actually trying to justify getting milked. i thought the people in this community wer better than that..
    For people with multiple Ps3's and used games with online passes becoming cheaper. The dev's are actually saving me $10 if I choose to buy used... Otherwise, your an idiot. Get informed instead of whining.

Resident PHD

Wow ok first of all PARAGRAPHS ARE YOUR FRIEND. Nice big blocks of text make it really hard to read what you are trying to say. Second utilize spell check and grammar check, it reflects badly on you when you are trying to make a point and every second word is spelled wrong.

Finally, yes the gaming industry brings in big money but that is really due to a couple of games. Games like Pokemon or COD bring in cash hand over fist, but that doesn't help games like Alice, Shadow of the Damned or Vanquish that simply slip under the radar. Also hundreds of thousand copies in the first couple weeks doesn't cut it anymore. People are saying that R3 was a flop and it sold over a hundred thousand in its first week. Developers see very little money from a release (most of it going to advertising, shelf space and production.) So they need huge numbers to make any sort of a profit. Look how much LA Noire sold and that company still went bankrupt.

So why don't you grow up and learn how the world works before you start running your mouth.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Aperture Test Subject

Quote Originally Posted by kratos06 View Post
    Yeah I'm with u OP, the passes are getting out of control, I really pissed me of now that they are making Story Passes now like Rage and Batman AC did......Really publishers, i get why the passes were made but some of the games that got passes now there unfinished games and they don't deseve passes, watch in the future when the next consoles come out, when the passes come into games again, even if u buy new they'll still make u pay, and it not might even be 10$
    I can't speak for Rage, but Batman AC is not an incomplete game without the DLC! The DLC is an enhancement to a complete game. It's not like it stops half way through and says "Insert Coin" to see the ending!! At least Rocksteady gave it to people free as an incentive to buy the game new. I applaud for them that. If that is going to help bring more money into the industry to create better games, who is losing here exactly? If you want to play online, buy the game new, or pay for the privilege. If you want to extend the life of a game and play the DLC, pay for the privilege (or not!). Gaming isn't a right, it's a luxury!

Supply and demand dictates the market, and consumers are still buying these games and DLC in their droves. Until something halts that progression, it's here to stay plain and simple, and I for one am very happy about it.
    Last edited by britinamerica; 10-19-2011 at 07:07 PM.

1000th Trophy | | Resistance 3 | Counter-Sniper | 10-Sep-2011

The Deathly Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by britinamerica View Post
    I can't speak for Rage, but Batman AC is no an incomplete game without the DLC! The DLC is an enhancement to a complete game. It's not like it stops half way through and says "Insert Coin" to see the ending!! At least Rocksteady gave it to people free as an incentive to buy the game new. I applaud for them that. If that is going to help bring more money into the industry to create better games, who is losing here exactly? If you want to play online, buy the game new, or pay for the privilege. If you want to extend the life of a game and play the DLC, pay for the privilege (or not!). Gaming isn't a right, it's a luxury!

Supply and demand dictates the market, and consumers are still buying these games and DLC in their droves. Until something halts that progression, it's here to stay plain and simple, and I for one am very happy about it.

I know Batman AC pass was cool, but I wasn't really mad at that, I'm really mad at games that had passes in the future that never had multiplayer, like what Mass Effect 3 is going to do, and u don't have to listen to me but I'm worried for the future that if u guys keep supporting the passes, they might put the prices up for the passes, or worse they might still make u pay even for new....yall don't have to flame me.....i'm just saying lol
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Aperture Test Subject

Quote Originally Posted by kratos06 View Post
    I know Batman AC pass was cool, but I wasn't really mad at that, I'm really mad at games that had passes in the future that never had multiplayer, like what Mass Effect 3 is going to do, and u don't have to listen to me but I'm worried for the future that if u guys keep supporting the passes, they might put the prices up for the passes, or worse they might still make u pay even for new....yall don't have to flame me.....i'm just saying lol
    See, you just did a u-turn on Batman despite calling it out as an offender! Also, as far as I'm aware Mass Effect is an online pass for multiplayer, with some social media integration crap thrown in.

I cannot see the industry doing a "one time use" model, as the market will not sustain it. It will however sustain online passes, and that is exactly where things are going. And it's not as bad as everybody is making it out to be. Gamestop are already seeing this trend, and offering free passes for Catwoman DLC for 2nd hand copies. The 2nd hand market will adapt to make this work, and very few people will lose out here.

1000th Trophy | | Resistance 3 | Counter-Sniper | 10-Sep-2011

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast