Bigger Trophy List To Boost Sales?

This is a discussion on Bigger Trophy List To Boost Sales? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Just a thought that popped into my head as I was working on getting the last trophy for Dead Island: ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Bigger Trophy List To Boost Sales?

Just a thought that popped into my head as I was working on getting the last trophy for Dead Island: Riptide before the platinum: Do you think game developers make trophy list with higher value trophies just to boost sales? We all know trophy hunting is big, and some people will play games just for their trophies. I think Terminator Salvation is the biggest one that comes to mind; 11 gold trophies and a platinum, itll give you a massive percentage boost. Even Dead Island: Riptide, coming off of the disgustfulness of the first game, has 4 gold, 11 silver and 20 bronze, and a platinum. Another title that has a high value trophy list is Spongebob: Plankton's Robotic Revenge, with 10 gold and 10 bronze trophies, plus a platinum.

illegal in 9 countries

Don't all games with a Platinum add up to the same overall points total, excluding DLC?

The value of a game with a Platinum is 1230 points max. A PSN game has 315 points max.

The percentage boost for any game with a Platinum is the same (or close to), regardless of the game.

Banned

Like ant1th3s1s said, all platinum games have the same amount of points, so yeah, the percentage is the same on all games. So, basically, there are no 'higher value' games, because, added up, the trophies give the same amount of points.

Even if that were to happen, it wouldn't boost sales at all. Trophy hunting is hardly big, and the amount of trophy hunters that buy games just for trophies is so minimal that developers wouldn't gain any money worth making changes over.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    The value of a game with a Platinum is 1230 points max. A PSN game has 315 points max
    i didnt know this. i guess that would defeat my question, however it stems a new one: trophies can be earned for bragging rights and competitions as well, so wouldnt seeing a game such as Terminator Salvation with those 11 gold trophies make you wanna get those trophies more than, say, Doom3: BFG Edition, which has only 1 gold trophy and i believe 64 bronze trophies?

PRO Member

It depends on an individual's preference. Some people only count platinums. Some only value the total number of trophies. For some it's Trophy Level. In your example, both give a platinum, both add approx the same amount of points towards trophy level, but DOOM 3: BFG adds 66 trophies to Terminator's 12. Sony's recent Bid for Greatness campaigns only used Gold trophies as currency, so Terminator's 11 Gold to DOOM 3:BFG's 1 is better.
    77th platinum: LEGO MARVEL Super Heroes (PS3). 86th PSN/non-platinum 100%: My Singing Monsters. NightRaven77's Trophy Checklist