Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bethesda says that PS3 isn't as difficult to develop for

This is a discussion on Bethesda says that PS3 isn't as difficult to develop for within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The key is not to treat it like a PC or 360. Remember when developers would moan and groan about ...

A plat a month!

Bethesda says that PS3 isn't as difficult to develop for

The key is not to treat it like a PC or 360.

Remember when developers would moan and groan about creating games on a PS3? It's unfamiliar architecture, we can't port games across from other systems properly and the support from Sony is insufficient were all common mumbles.

Well, it seems that those times have passed. As far as Bethesda's Elder Scrolls and Fallout team are concerned, at least.

When IncGamers asked lead artist Mike Carofano whether such issues still persist, he told us:

"I donít think thatís an issue anymore. This is our third game on PS3 so weíve got a lot of experience about how that console works and how to make the most out of it.

"The key is to take advantage of the PS3 in a different way than we would the Xbox 360 or the PC."

Indeed, this seems to be a technique shared by other developers. Rockstar and Reflections developed L.A. Noire and Driver: San Francisco, respectively, using the PlayStation 3 as the lead platform.

Both citing the fact that it's not possible to make full use of the PS3's capabilities by porting games that have been developed on a 360 or PC.

Carofano went on to say that both the 360 and PS3 can do everything they need them to do. However, he also said that the PC edition of Skyrim would look superior to those of the consoles.
    http://www.incgamers.com/News/29378/...-says-bethesda

I know that developers have complained about the PS3 being difficult to develop for, but I like what I'm hearing here.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Oh yeah? Why was new vegas so slow and buggy then? Hypocrites...

A plat a month!

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHorror View Post
    From what I gather, its buggy and slow on the PC and xbox as well. Not just the PS3, which is what the article is about.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

hahaha is funny how people go crazy just for few very small details on those called ports, remember when all 360 turds were braginf just because AC did look little more brighter on 360. and now again on Crysis.

i don't really care about it if i can have the game and play it without those stupid problems.

Platinum Dohvakiin

That's because Obsidian did a poor ass job of making it. And then ran it to what amounts to the Gaming Version of Google Translator and ported it over to the PS3.FO: NV wasn't just bad on the PS3. It was bad on every platform.

But this coming from Bethesda is kind of surprising. Especially if you remember, that they were one of the Developers. Who just hated working on the PS3 versions of their games.

On a side note. Am I the only one who ever wondered. Why almost every multiplatform game. Is always displayed on the 360? What does M$ pay them to do that or what?

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 10 - Platinum

i dont know why anyone would assume making a game on different systems would be anything but different. diferent consoles are going to have to be set up differently so developers will need to adjust their methods accordingly, same thing with pcs they're going to be different from consoles. anyways bethesda has always been biased towards xbox, every demo they show is on xbox, every dlc comes to xbox first. thats why their games look worse on ps3 even though its a more powerful system. build on xbox first then fit an xbox build into the ps3 hardware and problems ensue

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    On a side note. Am I the only one who ever wondered. Why almost every multiplatform game. Is always displayed on the 360? What does M$ pay them to do that or what?
    I'd say half the time Microsoft doesn't pay anything, it's just that the 360 is usually the lead platform for development and it makes sense to display games on the lead platform.

PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Kylo View Post
    I'd say half the time Microsoft doesn't pay anything, it's just that the 360 is usually the lead platform for development and it makes sense to display games on the lead platform.
    why would the xbox still be the lead platform with inferior technology? i realize it has a higher base of customers since its been out longer, but demos would look better on ps3 if they actually spent the time to work with the tech like they should

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

Does that mean Skyrim should be the best console version? Prey 2 too I hope

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    why would the xbox still be the lead platform with inferior technology? i realize it has a higher base of customers since its been out longer, but demos would look better on ps3 if they actually spent the time to work with the tech like they should
    Developers will be more familiar with the coding on the 360 rather than the PS3.

PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

PRO Member

Because Bethesda has the philsophy "Well, it compiles, so obviously its worth releasing."

Every problem on the PS3 is replicated on the PC/360 version.

Yes and no.

Actually MSoft USUALLY pays for the feature. When 3rd party games are advertised on 360 packaging or in 360 commercials, MSoft is paying for that. They pay for the features on demo-discs and displays too.

However, when a console is actually the lead platform, the 360 is the lead relatively often. That number has been dwindling over the years though...

The console isn't the lead platform frequently though, PC usually is if its being released on the PC.

None of that has anything to do with anything...

First off, the PC is usually the lead platform. The concept being you want to develop for the most complicated platform first in terms of potential hardware bases, so if you get it to work there reducing the number of requirements should produce the same or better product.

Second, the 360 is the lead platform for consoles only some of the time. When it is its usually because the 360's environment is more or less identical to the PC environment.

What you are talking about has started to crop up though, more and more developers are investing into PS3 development environments because bad ports don't make money.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Developers will be more familiar with the coding on the 360 rather than the PS3.
    true but the purpose of demos is to make your game look appealing. most gamers look to graphics first so it makes sense to use the better graphical machine to display your game so more people will be initially interested.

A plat a month!

This goes back to the article. Many developers have said its been easier to develop for the xbox than the PS3. If something is easier, make it your lead. That the whole idea of using xbox as a lead in many cases, despite the PS3s superior hardware.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    This goes back to the article. Many developers have said its been easier to develop for the xbox than the PS3. If something is easier, make it your lead. That the whole idea of using xbox as a lead in many cases, despite the PS3s superior hardware.
    the guy says it isnt an issue anymore since its their third game. ps3 make be harder to develop for but wouldnt a better overall product be worth it?

A plat a month!

the guy says it isnt an issue anymore since its their third game. ps3 make be harder to develop for but wouldnt a better overall product be worth it?
    One could argue that. I think the article speaks from Bethesda's point of view. However, if the developer has an easier time making a product look good on an easier platform, the natural choice is to go with that.

Lvl 6 - Silver

so long as developers are easing into coding for the ps3 i guess. this will make future games much better hopefully, and i quite enjoy bethesda games so im quite happy to be hearing this from them.

No Matter What

From what I know the PS3 isn't really difficulty, it's just different so it just takes some time to get used to it. Look at all the PS3s graphically superior exclusives!

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Because Gamebryo is an unstable/shit engine. Which Bethesda made Obsidian use for New Vegas. If Bethesda would of gave them more time with the game, I'm pretty sure those issues would of been minimal. Bethesda was also in charge of Q&A. The game wasn't buggy and glitched because of Obsidian's incompetence. So if you had any problems, you know who to blame

Lvl 1 - Bronze

That was due to the core game engine itself, the way it was coded, not the transfer onto consoles

The One and Only

I see this as a good thing. Hopefully the quality for our PS3 games continue to increase (if not starting).

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast