Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What is best to download a game or to buy a disk ?

This is a discussion on What is best to download a game or to buy a disk ? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I prefer to purchase my games on disc, however, I have made plenty of digital purchases as part of sales ...

Breakfast and Chill

I prefer to purchase my games on disc, however, I have made plenty of digital purchases as part of sales on the PS Store as well as Steam a month or two after release.

PRO Member

At this point ALWAYS PHYSICAL. Price point is ridiculous for digital and takes up way too much "space"

Plus, like others have stated you may lose rights to play that game. I will always prefer and purchase physical unless impossible otherwise...or there is a neato sale or something.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Until the digital versions are cheaper... (Which, more often than not it's the opposite). I'll stick to physical copies.

I've purchased some from sales various times, but more often than not I'll just buy the physical copy.
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

buy the disk when its cheaper and you can always resell it if its not a game you like or if you finish it... ps plus and really good sales is the only reason I buy/DL digital as I resell 90% of my games when done.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Man-023 View Post
    buy the disk when its cheaper and you can always resell it if its not a game you like or if you finish it... ps plus and really good sales is the only reason I buy/DL digital as I resell 90% of my games when done.
    this. plus, buying a disk version takes up much much less space on your HDD than the full digital version. Grand Theft Auto V on the PS Store is 17.2GB WITHOUT the extra 450MB of patches (17.7GB total), compared to the 8.4GB of data put onto the HDD by the disk

Lvl 9 - Gold

Disc based gaming mostly for me unless there is something on PS+ that I want to play then I will download it but will still get the physical version, if its available, for my collection. Hell I still have my games and systems all the way back to the Atari 2600. Oh and there is no way I would trade in any games. Its just not worth it.

Judgement by Blaster

Currently I prefer physical copies because A) They don't use up a whole load of HDD space and B) I trade in my games games I've completed for newer games or for games i collect like Chronicles of Riddick, FEAR and Wanted.
    Thanks to DaRe_xLw for the awesome Sig.

Lvl 9 - Gold

plus who doesn't love to have the physical copy in their hand??? i love opening up that cellophane wrapping and looking at all the inserts and everything. ITS LIKE CHRISTMAS!!! lol

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaws-ate View Post
    plus who doesn't love to have the physical copy in their hand??? i love opening up that cellophane wrapping and looking at all the inserts and everything. ITS LIKE CHRISTMAS!!! lol
    Dat smell

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 6 - Silver

I prefer disks but if I can get it cheaper by downloading it I will download

Lvl 4 - Silver

I'll always go for the disc version of a new game that just came out, as I usually end up trading the game in once I platinum it or just lose interest (I'm looking at you Watch_Dogs) in it. I'll only go for digital if it's a weekly sale and much cheaper than the disc version. I also trade in or sell a game if it becomes free with Plus, and I don't currently own other games in the series (even if Assassin's Creed or Batman games become free, I'll keep my disc copy because I have the rest of the games in the series and don't want to break that collection).

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Always physical for me the only digital i have are PS plus free games.....

Lvl 7 - Gold

I prefer buying the disk. In a few years when the ps3 is obsolete, we're going to lose access to all of our digital purchases. I'd like to be able to play my games 15 years from now when I want to relive my younger days, like how I fire up my NES from time to time.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 7 - Gold

it REALLY depends on the game, most games i buy retail, but some are better digital, like cross-buy games or smaller games.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Of course, I feel it's up to the buyer of the games to decide and some may enjoy one over the other or buy both types.

I really like how games have become digital and can be downloaded straight from your console. What an age we live in right? It's saved in a magical cloud and you can re download games you've deleted and never have to worry about breaking it. I don't like though that it's on a license. Once I've payed for the game, unless I return it, (an unavailable option with digital) it's freaking mine!

I am at heart though, not only a gamer but a collector. I like to have the cases for games I'll never get rid of. I enjoy having all the cases lined up nicely and it is like a library of games. You can do that with digital, but it's not the same. Maybe it's because I grew up in an age that you want a game, you go and buy it's box, and you keep the box. I know I can scratch and mess up my discs, but I haven't done that since I was under the age of ten. And c'mon! When you get a brand new game, isn't so satisfying to pop the disc in for the first time? Anyway....

It's all up to whoever is buying, so neither is the best. Both ways though have their pros and cons and I can't say I would go one way or another completely.

Flesh is heretic /
    My body is a witch /
    I am burning it

Hello

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I've always preferred physical copies of games.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I always buy a disk second hand from Ebay. cheap but sometimes can take a while.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Why not do both. Buy cheap when you get the chance.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Well, on the PS4, the advantage of space is pretty much gone. Disc or download, the game is being put on the hard drive.

Obviously there is still the advantage of installing from a disc versus a multiple hour download, and of course the ability to sell discs if you so choose to. I buy digital when its cheaper than disc. Usually, especially at launch, the disc will be cheaper.

Lvl 9 - Gold

disc advantage; resale... nuff said

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast